Top 5 Mistakes Made When Building a Fashion Website
So after a lot of hard work and creativity, you have an exciting new fashion line you’re ready to unveil to the world. But before you do, here are five common mistakes made when start-up fashion companies build their websites:
- Many fashion companies think they can pay very little money for their websites and still garner big results. It’s important to realize that if you want to compete with the major brands, your e-commerce site will cost you around $12,000 to $17,000 at the minimum.
Failure to optimize for SEO.
- Optimization is how Google and other search engines are able to find your site. Whoever builds your website should optimize it from the very beginning otherwise it could cost you an additional $5,000 to $6,000 just for optimization alone.
Refusing to relinquish creative control.
- While the fashion industry is a creative industry, the fact is that just because you’re a fashion designer doesn’t mean you can also be an effective website designer. You wouldn’t exactly be comfortable with allowing a website designer tell you how to create your next textile pattern for a new dress, right? Recognize your limitations and seek out a professional who knows what he or she is doing. Give them creative direction but then learn to step back and let them excel at what they do: designing websites.
Not using a responsive design.
- A fatal mistake is not having your website be compatible with mobile and tablet devices. Let every customer use and enjoy your site, regardless of what device they are using to get there.
Not budgeting for marketing.
- Okay, so your site is finally up and running and looks great. All done? Not quite. You need to allocate a budget for digital / social media marketing. In regard to the latter, it’s generally free but also very time consuming, so you’ll want to hire a few professionals or even a firm who specializes in this kind of marketing in order to be really effective. In addition, you’re going to want to budget in updates. Fashion is not static and neither should your website be. Make sure you have enough funds left to periodically tweak the look and style of your site so that it stays fresh and exciting.
If you can avoid these common mistakes, you’ll save yourself time, money and energy and be well on your way to creating a fun and profitable fashion website!
Cassie Betts, Founder and CEO of District2.Co, explains the top mistakes fashion entrepreneurs make when developing an e-commerce site, including failure to optimize for SEO and not having responsive design.