Understanding App Optimization for the Apple App Store
There are approximately two million apps and counting as you read this. While that may seem pretty overwhelming, keep in mind that a lot of these apps aren’t optimized for search. Doing so will give your app the leading edge over all the rest. So how do you optimize your app for search? Here are a few tips:
- Your title is the first thing people will see, so make it a good one. Choose a title that effectively conveys what your app is about.
- Keep in mind that only the first 32 characters show up in search initially.
- Also be sure to include your main keywords in the title of your app, and vice versa.
- Don’t bother including your company name in the title, as it will be recognized elsewhere for optimization.
- Last but not least, plan for the future. You want to establish some brand recognition right off the bat. Make sure your title will still apply to your app even after the inevitable tweaks and changes are made along the way.
- Keywords don’t show up on your actual app profile, but help people find your app all the same. Choose them wisely, don’t use commas, and use up every character you can.
- This includes your app’s features, what it does, how it works, etc. This is not the place for your keywords, so just concentrate on conveying why your app is so awesome.
- A little eye-candy goes a long way, so be sure to include the best screenshots you can to make your app look as appealing as possible.
Utilizing these tips will really help your app stand out from the crowd by optimizing it for search and get those downloads going!
Mike Jirout, Co-Founder of Ship Mate, highlights ways to optimize your app and make it stand out among the 2 million other products in the App Store.