Finding Balance for Entrepreneurs
Now more than ever, it’s difficult to separate your work life from your personal life. Technical innovations such as smart phones basically means we are forever tethered to our careers whether we like it or not. Emails, phone calls, text messages and video meetings can all be done in the palm of your hand, meaning there really is no escaping your work. This is why finding a healthy balance is crucial so you can be successful both professionally and personally. Here are some tips on how to do that.
True success is non-stop work.
- We are expected to always stay in communication with our clients and colleagues 24/7, but it’s of vital importance that we resist this urge.
Cut every “non-essential” meeting.
- You only have so many hours in a day and days in the week, so start making time for your friends and family between work obligations.
Create a strict time-schedule and stick to it.
- Go to sleep at the same time every night and wake up at the same time every morning whether your work is done or not.
Focus on your circadian rhythm.
- This dictates that you go to sleep shortly after sunset and wake up with the sunrise. This will help regulate your bio-algorithms the way they are naturally supposed to be.
- From you lunches to your exercise, to calling your parents and how long your showers last. Write it all down so you can plan around these things accordingly.
Get plenty of sleep.
- You might think you’re doing your business a favor by pulling all-nighters, but you’re doing much more harm than good. The human brain begins to lose basic functionality when it is sleep-deprived, so burning yourself out won’t benefit anyone.
Make time for play.
Without laughter, your brain becomes flooded with cortisol and you will actually be in a near-constant state of stress. Make time for friends, movies, sports and games. We all need to unplug from work on a regular basis in order to perform at our best when we get back to it.
Following these tips will help you strike the right balance between your professional and personal lives. Within this balance is the secret to the success of all respected entrepreneurs.
Dr. Jennifer Jones, acclaimed psychologist and expert on confidence, gives tips on managing both your personal and professional lives as an entrepreneur.