(1) This is the broad generic class for cutting implementsincluding those for cutting by a sharp point, which are manipulableby hand so as to be movable in their entirety relative to the workduring the cutting operation as distinguished from moving the workrelative to the cutter. Such implements may be power operated andthe motive power means may be built into the structure of the cuttingimplement.
(2) This class also includes some special machines whichare not hand manipulable, as above defined, namely, special machinesand fixed cutters in which the work moves relative to the machineor cutter, since these structures are too closely related to thehand cutters to separate; see necked receptacle seal cutters, can openers,carton openers, cigar tip cutters, cord cutters, and segmenters.(See Subclass References to the Current Class, below.)
(3) This class also includes hand manipulable scrapers havinga sharpened scraping or cutting edge.
(4) This class also includes culinary and table forks and spoonsdue to their close relation to knives in use and manufacture.
(5) Many hand manipulable cutters under the above definitionhave not been placed in this class. Their location is set forthin the notes appended to the definitions of this class and the subclassesthereunder.
(6) Many hand manipulable instruments having structure forcutting and in addition structure for performing other functions,such that the combination is restricted to some special art use,are not in this class but with the appropriate art class, as setforth in References to Other Classes, below.