Demonstration: Heating Oobleck
Question (Copy in journal): What happens to the drip time of Oobleck when we
heat it on a hot plate?
Hypothesis (Copy in journal): When I change the temperature of Oobleck from
room temperature to “hot”, the drip time will ___________ or ______________
Procedure (DO NOT COPY THIS INTO YOUR JOURNAL)
1. Put your goggles on.
2. Place 2 measuring cups of cornstarch and 1 measuring cup of green water
in the metal pan.
3. Mix Oobleck with your hands until all corn starch is dissolved.
4. Place metal pan on hot plate set to “4”.
5. Heat for 1 minute.
6. Use “hot hands” to remove pan from heat. Place pan on lab counter.
7. Observe “feels”, “smells”, and “looks” of Oobleck. Record in data table.
8. Take one spoonful of Oobleck and place it 35 cm (one ruler length) above
9. Flip spoon over and time how long it takes Oobleck to drip from spoon into
pan. Record in data table.
10. Record any other important observations under “misc.” observations in
11.After pan has cooled, throw it in trash can. Wipe down counter. Place
supplies back in plastic bin.
ID Variables (Copy in journal):
MV (manipulated variable)
RV (responding variable)
CV (controlled variable)
Data Table (Copy already glued in your journal):
Analysis (Copy in journal):
My hypothesis is ___________________ (correct or incorrect). My data shows
the drip time was ____________seconds. I expected it to be _______________
(faster or slower). A further question that I have about heating Oobleck is