Lora D. Miller
Sexually Transmitted Diseases
• HPV (human papillomavirus)/genital warts
• Hepatitis B
Did you know?
• One in five people have herpes.
• Herpes is a virus, which means it is
• Herpes is manageable with medications.
• Herpes is contracted by kissing or any
sexual contact, including anal, vaginal and
• Risk of contraction can be lowered with
proper condom use.
Information on Chlamydia
• Chlamydia is a bacterial infection that can
be cured with antibiotics.
• Half of men and three-quarters of women
infected have NO symptoms.
• If left untreated, Chlamydia can cause
sterility in both men and women.
Symptoms of Gonorrhea
• Painful intercourse
• Painful urination
• Yellowish or yellow-green discharge from
• Pus-like discharge from the penis
Treatment of Gonorrhea
• Can infect the entire genital area.
• There is various strains of HPV, some
cause warts while others cause cell
mutations that can possibly lead to
• Warts can be cleared with treatment, but
there is not a cure.
Syphilis is serious
• Syphilis can be treated with antibiotics.
• There are various stages to syphilis.
• Syphilis can be symptom-less.
• If left untreated, syphilis can cause
neurological damage or death.
• Syphilis can be transferred by kissing or
sexual contact, especially if there are open
• One in twenty people will become infected.
• Hepatitis B (HBV) usually has no
• HBV is transmitted through all bodily
fluids, including semen, saliva, blood and
• There is no cure, but it is possible that
HBV will go away on it’s own.
• Abstinence is the ONLY way to prevent
• The birth control pill is only 92-97%
effective against pregnancy and 0%
effective against STDs.
• The male condom is 85-98% effective,
depending how frequently it is used and
whether it is used properly.
Effects on a baby
• A baby that becomes infected with herpes
during pregnancy or birth can have severe
• If left untreated, a baby infected with Chlamydia
can become blind.
• HPV/Warts can cause fatal developmental
• 90% of babies born to mothers with HBV will be
infected and need immediate treatment.