Notes from FRB meeting

Document Sample
Notes from FRB meeting Powered By Docstoc
					                  Notes from FRB meeting:

Attendees: (See Tiffany’s list)

Discussion:

Tuesday 23 August:

1. Welcome and introductions: excellent individual intros
with good audio via Polycomm and hand-held microphone –
LOTS of folks from a very wide distribution of NETC, OPNAV,
SYSCOM, Center, and contractor communities – overview of
agenda and context in which presentations/discussions will
occur – follow agenda pretty closely but plan to insert 60
minutes on CeTARS-AIM interface from 9-10 am on Wed
8/24

2. NETC N7 status (Roy Hoyt): stress on-going effort to
coordinate with aviation community to integrate Naval
Aviation Training System (NATS) Handbook into NAVEDTRA
136 to bridge existing gaps in current 136 – working group
kicking off in Sep to accomplish that integration – stresses
that AIM team will be involved to help assess s/w impacts of
business process / product changes – NAVEDTRA 133 has
actually been signed out and posted on NKO – NAVEDTRA
139 development being coordinated closely with OPNAVINST
                                  1
1500.76 Rev C development to include very specific direction
to acquisition community to start doing JDTA in CPM as part -
of comprehensive 29612 JTA process with good integration
for M&P as well as for T&E – Jake: stresses criticality of
getting CPM hosting at NETPDTC accomplished – Roy
confirms Jake’s assumption and indicates that WILL happen in
Sep for enterprise infrastructure – good discussion about
LONG term maintenance of traditional AIM I/II on Central Site
at NETPDTC even as new content gets based on JDTA and
built/maintained in CPM/LO Module

Praises CNATT and NETPDTC for yeoman efforts in getting
first large production site running, proving concept, and
learning / sharing many lessons – Jake: concur and share
credit with MT community for blazing trail on R&D Central
Site hosted at NAWCTD for past several years – Roy:
massively important for ongoing health and welfare of NETC
domain learning content in terms of managing authoritative
content and justifying resources required to manage and
update that content effectively – Central Site implementation
is VERY important to NETC way forward

OCCSTDS linking into CPM and way forward – current effort is
crawl stage of much more robust future processes – critical
partnership between NETC N7 and NAVMAC to connect
rating performance requirements defined in OCCSTDS to
                              2
NETC N7 baseline learning requirements in JDTA/learning
objectives designed in CPM and built out/maintained in LO
Module – Bruce Bare on discussion with NAVMAC on
interface with QM Perception for survey-based fleet
questionnaire to validate preliminary OCCSTDS – Roy: NETC
N7 will re-engage NAVMAC in terms of migrating to
Assessment Engine and away from Perception as NETC
enterprise tool of choice – Jake/Jamie confirm that CPM Rel
5.0 introduces the first support for OCCSTDS upon which
ongoing coordination with NAVMAC can build – Bruce Bare:
NETC will sustain Perception near-term but migration plan in
place to sunset Perception as enterprise tool – Roy: stresses
that updated OCCSTDS have been created based on small
SME panels but not yet been fleet validated and have,
therefore, not yet been distributed – that validation is the key
issue related to Perception-vs.-Assessment Engine discussion
about how to create surveys to support that fleet validation
based on preliminary OCCSTDS data hosted in CPM OCCSTDS
tab

NETC N7 end-to-end learning content business model –
stresses that it is NOT a linear process but a very iterative one
(and tailored to specific learning content project) – detailed
description of how HPRR process must be applied per 1500.9
including Resource Sponsor validation of HPRR results before
any ‘requirements’ identified at the HPRR becoming a real,
                                3
actionable requirement that drives new/revised learning
content – Roy stresses that all training is resource driven and
any new resources MUST be identified before any learning
content / training facility changes can be made – Jesse Harris:
how can new program be killed off at the Center level for lack
of Resource Sponsor funding for programs begun prior to the
current guidance? – Roy: will be hard decisions made at the
direction of OPNAV N15 (Scott Lutterloh) that if Resource
Sponsor can’t support life-cycle cost impacts, RFT of new
program is delayed

Question from Jesse Harris: standardization via Atlas Pro /
CeTARS / Perception –> where should she push her learning
sites in terms of planning 2-3 years downstream for reliable
migration planning – Bruce: NETC will direct Centers of what
tools should be used for future development – Roy: very close
coordination between NETC N7/N6 in terms of IT architecture
/ infrastructure impacts on delivery of training

FEA/BCA: beginning to prototype automation of FEA process
– Danette Likens working closely with NETC N72/74/75 to
match AIM planning to revised business processes – Pat
Archibald in N75 working FEA specifically –> Roy: there will be
several crawl/walk/run cycles for FEA/BCA – Danette:
working on FEA with BCA in the queue – AIM prototype
designed to help finalize business process definition in
                               4
conjunction with on-line implementation of those processes –
Jamie Stewart: working with NETC N75 FEA sample but eager
for broader perspective – Mike Lueken: shouldn’t we tie
down CPM business rules and data versioning prior to adding
additional functional capabilities such as FEA/BCA – Jamie:
will address during 136 business process topic Tues am

John Wishall (N72) on NETC N7 IDIQ for learning content
development – still in evaluation – going to be multiple
awards to various teams as determine by FISC Philadelphia
who is running the procurement – Roy stresses that future
content development will be closely managed by NETC N7 as
basis for moving forward with modularized content based on
JDTA and NAVEDTRA 136 content business process – question
from Angel Strong: NAVEDTRA 136/138 processes will be
invoked only for new content after a certain date? – Roy:
confirms that this new business process will be invoked only
at the point of major revision for existing content -> no
massive re-engineering of current content just for the sake of
compliance with new processes without any major content
revision – clarification from Roy about differences between
modularizing COURSES vs. modularizing CONTENT – based on
current infrastructure limitations as well as near-term
payback on COURSE modularization vs. longer term benefits
of CONTENT modularization based on 136/138 business rules
– Roy stresses that NETC N74 will not produce any policy /
                              5
business process that requires software tools / capabilities
that do not yet (and may never) arrive

3. NETC IT strategic plan/AIM Migration Plan/LO Module
Webification (Bruce Bare, Jake Aplanalp, Jim Ferrall):
(recreate from memory)

ACTION ITEM: Jake Aplanalp to provide Roy Hoyt the
notional list of test item types that must be supported by
NETC Learning Assessment System (LAS) – incl. Assessment
Engine as part of strategic plan and need to be supported by
AIM test module (AIM I/II/LO Module) – 29 August

ACTION ITEM: Jake Aplanalp to provide NETC N74, N72, and
N73 review draft of Overarching AIM Migration Plan for
chop to ensure policy and planning assumptions reflected in
Plan completely consistent with N7 planning.

ACTION ITEMs: AIM/CeTARS/ETMDS teams to break out
formal Functional Requirements Document (FRD) and
CONOPS for AIM path forward.

ACTION ITEM: Tom Bonanno to bring CeTARS, Atlas
Pro/ETMDS team, and AIM team together to brainstorm
updated business process, allocation of process functions,
and schedules. 27 Sep at NETC N7.
                               6
ACTION ITEM: Jake Aplanalp to shred out Central Site
implementation planning from Overarching AIM Migration
Plan to provide NETC N74 review draft of Central Site AIM
Migration Plan for chop to ensure policy and planning
assumptions reflected in Plan completely consistent with N7
planning.

4. NETPDTC hosting of AIM tools (Peg David, Jake
Aplanalp): Jake on overview of NAWCTSD-hosted prototype
of Central Site instance for SWS – business advantages of
moving to enterprise-level hosting at NETPDTC with policy
mandate from NETC N7 for all Centers – Peg: implementation
is going well, based on CNATT precedent but schedule will slip
by 60 days because of account mgmt under new eDMZ
environment in early 2012 – Peg: metric is 4 hrs/account for
creation and processing of new Citrix accounts – and there
are HUNDREDS of accounts in question here – Bruce: are also
determining ongoing cost to support AIM toolset hosting and
NETC will support that life-cycle effort with dedicated
technical (and admin?) staff

Jake: need costing data for non-NETC organizations to get
AIM I/II instances implemented – discussions ongoing but
haven’t really scoped it yet nor is there much good precedent
at NETPDTC on getting non-NETC funding
                              7
Ron: CPM Rel 5.0 GAT to start this week (Ron and AIM
support team) – hopes for more formal test next week but
having issues getting user community testers because of late
summer vacations/TAD/etc. – NMCI certification of Rel 5.0 of
AIM I/II starting very soon but long lead-time for that process
– Roy: how soon can we start pulling AIM off local NMCI PCs
to fulfill his commitment to the Admiral and really support
the new Central Site business process

ACTION ITEM: Peg to add local AIM instance de-activation
to the generic POA&M model for future Central Site
implementations.

Ancillary data storage: Peg indicates that NETPDTC will
configure that storage space for working files related to AIM-
based curricula development and maintenance processes –
endorsed by both Peg and Bruce as feature for new Central
Site users – Denise: what about MediaTrax which performs
similar function already with much more structured access
and CM controls – Bruce: excellent functionality but issues of
life-cycle funding and Authority to Operate (ATO) separate
from AMTCS Software Module (ASM)

IA certification and accreditation (C&A) process: big
advantage of moving hosting into enterprise environment
                               8
such as NETPDTC – describes ongoing effort at NETPDTC
supported by AIM team to create those artifacts to get
NETWARCOM ATO for CPM as well as Central Site AIM I/II
Citrix instances

5. Lessons learned from CNATT/CSFE NETPDTC hosting of
AIM tools (Jake Aplanalp): Jake summarized inputs from
CNATT, NETPDTC, and AIM team on lessons learned based on
the two current operational sites – one specific concern is
training new Central Site users to use existing help resources
effectively and get the problem/question addressed by the
right source of expertise: NETPDTC enterprise help desk,
community AIM expert (e.g., ATC Hamilton for CNATT), or
Ron Zinnato/AIM Help Desk

6th Level of Privilege for contractor development: Jake
stresses differentiating between support contractor staff vs.
vendors of specific content packages – Roy directs to go
forward with Level 6 privilege level – good discussion about
how this might affect Central Site business processes and
Central Site operation vs. export-and-revise process – Roy:
will affect govt role in defining R3 for upcoming learning
content acquisition/revision process

ACTION ITEM: NETC N74 will charter working group to
provide business process inputs to AIM team on design of 6th
                               9
level of privilege for vendor development while supporting
R3 – Ron also suggests addressing different privilege level
structure in AIM I compared to AIM II

Wednesday 24 August:

Jake overviews yesterday’s discussion and lays out plan for
today – discussion about metadata discussion started by
Bruce Bare per Jake’s comment about NETC N72 Richard
Nimrod metadata working group –

6. MT Continuum status (Jake Aplanalp, Mike Lueken,
Wendy Pester, Joe Farbo): Jake provides overview of MT
Continuum project as poster child for NAVEDTRA 136/ILE and
CPM/LO Module new business process/products – good
discussion about continuum aspect of MT Continuum based
on question from Jesse Harris – Roy Hoyt pushes back for
application to surface community based on closed loop
nature of submarine/aviation communities vs. much less
control for surface sailors – Roy stresses that it’s critical to get
senior command involved in the JDTA/FEA process to get that
buy-in during the acquisition stage to support that type of
training-centric personnel mgmt – good discussion about
application of MT Continuum-type analysis and learning
content packaging, design, development, and support – input
from CDR Bird (PMA-205) about status of training readiness
                                 10
in aviation community and possible impact of better, more
granular readiness reporting on mgmt support for
modularized, continuum-type training – Jim Mitchell (SLC):
lots of hands-on experience with JDTA development in CPM
as well as translating that into course/module/lesson/section
structure in LO Module; based on that, he says system works
well if you begin with good, solid JDTA

Per question from D Harrison-Youngs (CNE), Roy Hoyt
clarified that everybody does JDTA in CPM, but if subsequent
curricula development will be AIM I/AIM II, KSATRs do NOT
have to be populated – if 136/CPM-LO Module learning
content development, KSATRs MUST be populated with JDTA
– Roy also stresses a best practice to have Resource Sponsor
participate in JDTA workshop and then immediately approve
the JDTA as a means of significantly streamlining new learning
content development/revision

Excellent discussion about Atlas Pro LMS capability to track
and manage both self-paced and ILT content segments to the
point of certifying student to be ready to receive an NEC –
need lots of work in defining business process and supporting
data interface between LMS and CeTARS – part of overall
CeTARS re-engineering process for which Functional Reqts
are now being developed by NETC N73


                              11
D. H-Y: how does Center get changes to training content
(esp. CBT) done downstream? – Roy/John Wishall: focusing
on that process in new NETPDTC content IDIQ contract as
well as growing NETC in-house capability
Lessons learned: Mike Lueken stresses need for more
performance-based testing vs. multiple choice knowledge
testing for traditional training – need better performance
testing support in LO Module and in LMS

7. CeTARS status-AIM interfaces (all / discussion facilitated
by Jake): starts discussion with review of ACR generated by
Angel Strong/Kim Blalock working group chartered at Feb 11
FRB – Angel: in general, made AIM I/II work like CeTARS with
few, if any, changes required to CeTARS – Tom Bonnano:
facetiously recommends shutting down AIM I/II and go to
CPM/LO Module immediately  - Roy stresses that he MUST
update/fix the AIM I/II-CeTARS now per TO 0002 about to be
awarded by NAWCTSD for near-term functionality, entirely
realizing that massive changes will be occurring to CeTARS as
a result of NETC N5 business process re-engineering working
group as well as NETC N6/N7 strategic plan – Jake reconfirms
that changes per ACR are only on AIM I/II side and stays
within the bounds of current CeTARS Web service API for
CMS



                             12
Tom Bonnano: background on current CeTARS status –
describes effort on current task to develop CeTARS Function
Requirements document: both ‘as is’ and ‘to be’ versions –
major discussion on allocation of functions still needs to be
done among CeTARS, ETMDS/Atlas Pro, and AIM – must
involve functional and technical experts from each
community as design process moves forward – group
discussion about recent historical experience that policy
direction to break long training courses into shorter modules
was done at great effort but then had to be retrofitted into
long course based on limitations of CeTARS to support that
modularization

8. new AIM/CPM functionality overview (Jamie Stewart /
Danette Likens): overview of Rel 5.0 enhancements already
implemented (PPT posted on FRB Web page on AIM site) –
Roy/John Wishall to provide schedule for start of BCA
prototyping – demo on CPM: Karen asks about notification of
changes to linked Duty/Task? – Jamie: not sure that’s
implemented in Rel 5.0 – Roy: for JDTA, DO NOT enable
linking; copying for reuse is OK but from that stage on, the
copying Center owns that copy as a new JDTA element – Jim
Mitchell: what about notification of copying Center when
copied JDTA element is changed by its originating Center? –
Roy: really need to move to single JDTA for common
functions vs. many copied JDTAs – great discussion about
                              13
linking learning content at the CPM Project tab and all the
complex business rules and processes that need to be defined
to support this toolset capability – good reception for Help
icons and good discussion about possible future capability for
Center Admins to supplement with community-specific
information for their users

8. Tech data interfaces (Jim Ferrall): overview of
traditional and more recent IETM interfaces to S1000D Issue
3-4 – overview of ADL CoLab RTOC Bridge project by Wayne
Gafford

ACTION ITEM: Jim Mitchell (SLC) to lead cross-center
working group to review current IETM viewer and server
status and promote viewer standardization and NMCI
certification – 90 days

9. AIM user training status (Tiffany Dombrowski / Yvette
Bartholomew): overview of current schedule (posted on AIM
Web page) – discussion among Roy Hoyt, Bruce Bare, Jake
Aplanalp, and Tiffany about contractor quotas and business
rules for resourcing those quotas – Yvette provides overview
of Curriculum Developer course(s) – NAVEDTRA 130 piloted in
Sep 11; NAVEDTRA 136, in late FY12; and NAVEDTRA 131, in
FY13 – current AIM II/CPM-LO Module/AIM I user training


                              14
curricula being used as lab sessions integrated into those –
overview of CSFE’s charter as CCMM for AIM user training

10. review of Feb 11 FRB meeting action items:

11. review of new action items from this meeting:

ACTION ITEM: NAVRES (Lisa ) reports to NETC N74 a list of
NETC courses that NAVRES has to ‘chunk’ to support Naval
Reserve training requirements – 30 days

ACTION ITEM: Dan Seward (CNATT) work with AIM team to
add disclosure statements into AIM I, AIM II, and CPM-LO
Module to support process of screening content for release
to foreign nationals. Discuss w ACRs for prioritization – 30
days




                              15

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:4
posted:10/16/2011
language:English
pages:15