Exam 1 – Fall 2006
Remember that when you download this, it goes to a TEMP file. Be sure to
IMMEDIATELY save your test on your own hard drive or M drive.
Choose five of these to answer. Support your answers with your texts and examples from
class (including any videos or guest speakers). Each is worth 20 points. Each answer
should be no more than one page double-spaced. Please work on this test individually.
1. Discuss the neurophysiology of arousal in sport. How do psychologists measure
2. Jim is wanting to try imagery to prepare for his archery competition which is six
months away. What can you explain to him about the basics of imagery and how he
might go about doing it? Also, he is asking you for a clear explanation for how imagery
3. Susan runs cross-country for Middlebury College. She comes to you because she has
read about Psychological Skills Training (PST) programs. Create a PST program for
Susan that incorporates research on PST and Anne Lundblad’s advice as an elite runner.
4. Explain the inverted-U theory. Use at least three sport-specific examples to support
your answer. Be clear on the variables that influence how/why the curve shifts.
5. Describe the “Wheel of Excellence.” There are seven elements that you need to
identify. Give examples from class or from your own sporting experience that helps
illustrate these elements.
6. Megan, a 27 year-old skier, attempted to qualify for the 2006 Winter Olympic games
in the women’s downhill event. The competition was fierce, the snow conditions were
icy, and she had skied poorly in two recent events. In this situation, Megan skied badly
and did not qualify. Use the A-B-C-D-E model to suggest what factors influenced her
performance. Name each stage of the model and explain what might be influencing the
process (relevant to Megan’s specific situation) in each stage. You have to be somewhat
creative with this question -- so support your answer.
7. Devise an intervention, using multiple components (at least three), that you would use
to help Megan (from the previous question) cope with high pressure situations in the
future. Be specific about how the interventions would address Megan’s issues as you
described in the ABCDE model.