Build Your Own Computer DVD
1. What tools/workspace items do you need to get started?
3. ---Transfers heat from CPU to fan
Step 1—Computer Parts
2. What are the computer parts you will need to buy to build your own computer?
1. What is the approximate cost of a computer casing?
2. Once you have acquired your case and put the standoffs in, what part will you install?
3. You have to matchup the answer in #2 with what part on the back of the casing?
4. Before you install #2, standoffs are installed on the casing for what reason?
5. What is a crucial step before screwing in #2 to the casing?
1. What does CPU stand for?
2. Before installing the CPU, you need to make sure not to bend the _______ on the CPU, or it will
be damaged and unusable.
3. How much heat sink compound do you need to place on the CPU before installing the fan?
4. The heat sink fan uses two retention __________ to secure it in place above the CPU.
5. What is the last step you need to remember to do after the fan is installed?
Step 4—Power Supply (if needed)
1. Where on the casing does the power supply go? How many screws are necessary to secure the
Step 5—Install Hard Drive/CD-DVD Drive
1. You must set the jumpers on the hard drive to what setting before installing?
2. When installing the CD/DVD player, you must take off the side panel, determine the location in
the casing you want it to go, and be sure that it is _____________ with the front of the casing
and then secure with four screws.
3. Once the hard drive and CD/DVD player are installed, you must connect two different
connectors to these devices. What are they?
Step 6—Graphics Card
1. When installing the card, you must remove the ____________________ on the back of the
casing, pull back the ______________________ and snap it into place and secure with a screw
on the casing.
Step 7—Installing RAM
1. When installing RAM, similar to the graphics card, you must match up the ____________ and
pull back the ________________ and push into place. The amount of RAM you will need
depends upon what you will be using the computer for.
Step 8—Power Connectors
1. List the devices that must have a powercord connected to it.
2. You must follow the installation of the _________ connectors that comes with your
motherboard. Be sure to follow the directions.
Step 9—Install Software
1. What key on the keyboard do you have to press to get into the BIOS?
2. Select the Boot Tab and change the settings to what?
a. 1st Boot---
b. 2nd Boot—
CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU NOW HAVE THE ABILITY TO BUILD YOUR OWN PC!
THE NEXT PROJECT WILL FOCUS ON CALCULATING COST!! NOW GO OUT AND