34-33 34th Street, FL2
Astoria, NY 11106
Jose Almanzar Jose.Almanzar@law.nyls.edu
New York Law School, New York, NY.
J.D. expected May 2011; current GPA: 3.31 (19th percentile)
• Secretary, Environmental Law Society (present)
• SBA Vice President, Student Bar Association (2009-2010)
• SBA Senator, Student Bar Association (2008-2009)
Binghamton University (SUNY), Vestal, NY.
B.A. Environmental Studies (2006)
Environmental Law Experience
Law Offices of Peter Albert McKay, New York, NY. July 2010 – September 2010
Research Assistant/Law Clerk
• Researched case law and statutes for a private nuisance (excessive noise) dispute in a landmarked New York City
building that was recently converted to a luxury-condominium complex.
• Drafted memoranda resolving several pre-litigation and administrative issues contemplated by the lead-attorney.
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (R2), New York, NY. June 2010 – August 2010
Legal Intern, Office of Regional Counsel (NJ Superfund Branch)
• Determined the type and volume of hazardous waste discarded by Potentially Responsible Parties (PRPs) by
inspecting archived PRP waste records and internal memoranda. The final memorandum and accompanying Excel
spreadsheet was forwarded to the Department of Justice by the EPA attorney for use in negotiations with PRPs.
• Reviewed over 2-thousand pages of a CERCLA 104(e) “Requests for Information” response in connection with a
contaminated site owned by a Fortune-500 PRP. The review and memorandum helped the lead-attorney in
calculating negotiation strategies.
NYC Department of Environmental Protection, Queens, NY. May 2009 – December 2009
Legal Intern, Enforcement Division
• Successfully represented DEP, under the supervision of Department attorneys, in administrative court hearings
for disputes concerning Failure to Install a Back-Flow Preventer Device, which protects City drinking water.
• Conducted pre-hearing conferences and discovery sessions with Respondents defending their Department violations,
which included asbestos, noise, and “failure to install backflow prevention device” violations.
Relevant Non-Legal Experience
EBI (EnviroBusiness Inc.) Consulting, Burlington, MA/New York, NY.
Production Department Manager/Staff Scientist June 2006 – February 2008
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (R2), New York, NY. May 2005 – August 2005
Media & Communications Intern, EPA Performance Track Program
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (R10), Seattle, WA. June 2004 – August 2004
Media & Communications Intern, EPA Regional Tribal Program
Certifications and Technical Training
New York Asbestos Inspector (expired 2008); EPA Lead-Based Paint Inspector (Initial)
ASTM E 1527-05 Environmental Site Assessment Training
Bilingual, Spanish (fluent, written and spoken)
Honors and Recognitions
2010 ABA/NYSBA Fellowship in Environmental Law Recipient (Just 1 of 3 in NY)
Fall 2008 NYLS Dean’s List
American Bar Association’s Section of Environment, Energy and Resources (Student Member since 2009)
New York State Bar Association’s Environmental Law Section (Student Member since 2009)
Dominican Bar Association (Student Member since 2009)