Load an M16 Series Rifle/M4 Carbine
Conditions: Given an M4 or M4A1 carbine with magazines loaded with 5.56-mm ammunition. You must load the M16-
series/M4-series carbine so that a round is chambered.
Standards: Ensure the weapon is loaded for the appropriate mode. A magazine is inserted, a round is chambered and the selector
lever is place on SAFE if the weapon is not to be fired at this time.
1. Determine the mode in which the weapon will be operated.
a. Semiautomatic mode.
b. Automatic mode for M16A1, M16A3, and M4A1.
c. Burst mode for M16A2, M16A4, M4, and M4 – modular weapon
2. Point the weapon in a safe direction.
3. Cock the weapon.
a. Pull the charging handle to the rear.
b. Check the chamber to ensure it is clear.
Note: The chamber can be checked either by locking the bolt to the rear or by holding the
bolt to the rear and then observing the chamber area.
c. Return the charging handle to the forward position.
4. Place the selector lever on—
a. SAFE for semiautomatic or automatic fire modes.
b. BURST for burst fire mode.
5. Select BURST fire mode.
Note: Step 5 should only be performed if you have selected to fire the M16A2, M16A4,
M4, or the M4 - MWS in the burst mode. For all other modes and weapons proceed to step
a. Rotate the BURST cam to the BURST position.
b. Ensure the bolt is forward and the selector level is on BURST.
c. Squeeze the trigger and hold it in the rear position.
d. Squeeze the trigger and hold it in the rear position.
e. Pull the charging handle to the rear a fourth time and hold it to the rear.
f. Release the trigger.
g. Lock the bolt open by pressing the bottom portion of the bolt catch.
h. Return the charging handle to the forward position.
i. Place the selector lever on SAFE.
6. Insert the magazine.
a. Push the magazine upwards until the magazine catch engages.
b. Tap upward on the bottom of the magazine to ensure the magazine is
7. Chamber a round.
Note: A round may be chambered with the bolt assembly open or closed.
a. With the bolt open—
(1) Press the upper portion of the bolt catch allowing the bolt to go
(2) Tap the forward assist to ensure that the bolt is well forward and
b. With the bolt closed—
(1) Pull the charging handle to the rear as far as it will go.
(2) Release the charging handle.
Note: The charging handle should not be rode forward.
(3) Tap the forward assist to ensure that the bolt is well forward and
The weapon is now loaded and should be pointed in a safe direction.
8. Place selector lever on SAFE and close the ejection port cover if the weapon
is not to be fired at this time.
Evaluation Preparation: Setup: Have Soldiers use their assigned weapons and magazines. Provide blank or dummy
Brief Soldier: Tell the Soldier to load the carbine.
Performance Measures GO NO GO
1. Determined the mode in which the weapon will be —— ——
2. Pointed the weapon in a safe direction. —— ——
3. Cocked the weapon. —— ——
4. Placed the selector lever on the desired mode. —— ——
5. Rotated the burst cam to the burst position for the —— ——
BURST mode only.
6. Inserted the magazine. —— ——
7. Chambered a round. —— ——
8. Placed selector lever on SAFE and closed the ejection —— ——
port cover if the weapon was not to be fired at this time.
Evaluation Guidance: Refer to chapter 1, paragraph 1-9e, (1) and (2).
Related: FM 3-22.9 and TM 9-1005-319-10