Docstoc

April2011

Document Sample
April2011 Powered By Docstoc
					Planning RDA Implementation in Canada
Notes from conference call on Friday, April 29, 2011.

Present: Susan Andrews (University of British Columbia), Mary Curran (University of
Ottawa), Naomi Eichenlaub (Ryerson University), Trina Grover (Ryerson University),
Alison Hitchens (University of Waterloo), Tim Knight (York University), Laura May
(Library and Archives Canada), Lisa O’Hara (University of Manitoba), Chris Oliver
(McGill University), Nancy Stuart (University of Victoria), Linda Woodcock (Kwantlen
Polytechnic University)

Absent: Christine Alexander (Library and Archives Canada), Marg Stewart (Library and
Archives Canada), Marcia Salmon (York University)

Agenda
1. Module development/modification
2. Update from LAC
3. Status of French translation
4. Timeline for implementation
5. Recap of OLA pre-conference
6. More regular calls with this group?
7. Communiqué about RDA implementation.

1. Module development/modification

We cannot assume that training will be done in person. We expect that people will access
the modules and train themselves. There is no capacity to get trainers across the country
for in-person training. Webinars would be ideal. There are many affordable options
available for recording webinars. Focus on content and exercises and worry about
technology later.

LAC is adapting LC’s June 2010 modules and supporting documents. BL and NLA are
taking the same approach. We are all benefitting from the work LC has put in. Most of
the modules can be re-used without much editing. Module 5, for instance, about
Relationships in bibliographic and authority records talks about LC core elements. These
are elements that LAC has agreed with. We would want to replace the examples in
Module 3, about identifying works and expressions, with Canadian examples. Module 4
seems to be the one that needs the most changes since it refers to both OCLC and
Voyageur coding. After the modules have been prepared, they will need to be translated.

Sue commented that the LC modules focus on original cataloguers who are familiar with
the terminology and suggested that some modules should be adapted to training copy-
cataloguers. Chris noted the difficulties that copy-cataloguers will face. They will see
both AACR2 and RDA records. There is a need for a decision or policy about
hybridization because we are seeing both kinds of records. Additionally, it would be
beneficial to develop exercises geared at copy-cataloguers (e.g. what to look for when
using copy).
Trina reported that Marcia Salmon developed a module about navigating the RDA
Toolkit.

Laura May, Marg Stewart and Christine Alexander will meet on May 2 to discuss a
timeline/schedule for preparation/training/“testing” for over the summer months.

Is CLA still willing to or have the capacity to host the content? What about provincial
associations or The Partnership (and any associated costs)?

Actions:
 Reuse Sue Andrews’ slides and add exercises and recommended readings
 LAC working on adapting LC June 2010 modules
 Decide which modules need to be adapted for copy cataloguers
 Trina and Mary offered to look into different open source options

2. Update from LAC

Decisions on Options and Alternatives. The decisions on options and alternatives
document has gone through an internal review, as well as a review with the BAnQ and
has been vetted by CCC. That document is now sitting with Marg. Next steps: translate
document and put up on LAC website.

Policy statements replacing RI’s. This has not gone through internal review. I am not
sure what the consultation process will be on this either.

LC core elements. An internal review has been done and we have moved to the next step
to discuss with BAnQ. After that, it will be vetted through CCC.

Implementation of MARC updates in AMICUS. This information has been posted on the
LAC website. Updates 10 & 11 have been implemented entirely. The only significant
changes from update 12 were in Leader/18 (descriptive cataloguing form) and those
changes were made. Code c is new and means “ISBD punctuation omitted”. Code i has
been redefined and now means “ISBD punctuation included”. We did not ask for 561 $u
in AMICUS (URI in the Ownership and Custodial History note).

We have done some internal training with staff to get them familiar with the major
changes, FRBR, and the RDA Toolkit. We have not yet begun creating records with
RDA.

JSC. A new examples group will be formed. One comment from the U.S test was that
they wanted more examples. The hope is to have examples with the title pages and the
transcription. One potential obstacle is copyright for the title pages. The existing
complete examples will be revised after the MARBI meeting at ALA annual.

3. Status of French translation
The translation activity involves 4 partners - ASTED (who is also coordinating the work),
LAC, BnF, and BAnQ. The partners have agreed on the translation of glossary terms and
definitions, recurring phrases and divided the text. There will be a review process
whereby each partner reviews the other partner's translation. The current target for
completion is Nov. 2011. The French translation will be incorporated into the RDA
Toolkit thereby allowing users to switch to their preferred language. LAC full
implementation of RDA is dependent on the availability of a French language version.

4. Timeline for implementation looks to be around November or December 2011.

5. Recap of OLA pre-conference

Trina, Alison and Chris reported. There was not enough time to do the exercises. FRBR
was new for most participants.

7. Communiqué about RDA implementation

It was agreed to wait until after the ALA Annual Conference to write a communiqué
about RDA implementation.


Next meeting: June 8, 2011 at 2 pm

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:0
posted:10/12/2011
language:English
pages:3