Lotus Quickr Introduction
27th October 2008
What is Quickr?
Lotus Quickr is a collaboration tool integrated with our email system.
The Lotus Quickr website gives a lot more background than I can offer
here. See it at: -
We have also implemented the Lotus Sametime product.
Sametime allows us to do real-time sharing of documents or live on-
screen presentations to anyone with access to our system.
Why use Quickr?
• Quickr can be accessed from inside FirstGroup
and from the Internet meaning that you can
access it wherever you are.
• You can also create a ‘local’ account in any
Quickr ‘place’ which can be used for external
consultants or colleagues working in other
businesses to access your shared documents.
What can I share?
• Anything you can save on disk can be shared
through a Quickr place.
• You can restrict things so that others can only
read them or you can give your colleagues the
facility to edit documents.
• Documents can be saved as native files so that
you can manage version control or you can
save them as webpages making them more
How do I access Quickr?
• Quickr is accessed through your normal web
browser – Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox
• You do not have to use a FirstGroup computer
though as you can get access from anywhere
on the Internet
– Remember – this means you need to be careful
about what you store in a Quickr place.
How do I structure my Quickr?
• The main thing to decide is about Security
– When you add users you specify their security
level at the ‘root’ (top level) of your Quickr.
– You normally set Users as Readers at the top level
– You then create Rooms to structure your data.
– In the Rooms, you give the users increased rights
as appropriate – Author, Editor or Manager.
– You then create Folders to store your information
Setting-up Data Structures
• When you’ve worked out how you want to structure
your information, you’ll also need to decide how to
structure your folders.
– Simple or Ordered Folders for lists of files
– Headline for a tabbed group of files (5 or 6)
– Discussion for a forum or discussion group
– Slide Show for showing files in a very specific order – files
are displayed in the sequence you specify and only that
– Task for a list of tasks and to display them as a timeline
Loading your data
• You can add your data in three ways: -
– Create a ‘Page’ which is a blank HTML (web) page and you
can type or add photos, etc to it.
– Import a document into an ‘Import Page’ which allows you
to select an existing MS Word, Excel or Powerpoint
document or GIF or JPG image and load it as a single page
document. N.B. Images need to be sized to fit.
– Create a page with a blank MS document and paste the
data into it from your source document or file.