.- Forensic Medicine
PROF. CRISTIANO BARBIERI
The course is designed to provide students with a solid grounding in technical
knowledge of specific interest to legal practice.
- Aspects of General Legal Medicine: definitions and various branches of the
subject, forms of legal medicine, medico-legal methodology, the issue of causal
nexus in legal terms within various medico-legal contexts.
- Aspects of Criminal Legal Medicine: medico-legal diagnosis in relation to
assault, personal injuries, homicide, suicide, infanticide; health
treatment/checks; crimes against the sanctity of the dead; the medical
examiner’s professional responsibility; legal aspects connected with clinical
records, certifications, reports, complaints and professional confidentiality.
- Aspects of Civil Legal Medicine: technical assessment of biological damages.
- Aspects of Ecclesiastical Legal Medicine: medical examination in cases of
impotency, sterility and physical incapacity in church marriages as well as
other types of medico-legal findings required by canon law.
- Aspects of Professional Liability: malpractice and some ethical aspects
regarding medical records, certificates, complaints and medical reports.
- Aspects of Necroscopic Medicine: diagnosing death; judicial aims of
inspecting crime scene and post-mortem.
- Aspects of Genetic Forensics: problems associated with the identification of
biological traces and DNA test.
- Aspects of Toxicological Forensics: problems associated with toxicological-
forensic analyses of alcohol and drugs.
- Aspects of Sexual Forensics: medical-legal issues connected with laws on
voluntary abortion, medically assisted reproduction, sexual violence, mutilation
of female genitals, gender assessment.
- Aspects of Psycho-pathological Forensics: psychiatric examinations in
criminal law on the perpetrator of a crime (imputability, threat to society,
assessment of whether person is triable) and victim (circumventing non-
triability, assessing whether adults or minors are capable of giving evidence);
psychiatric examinations in civil law (disability/inability/guardian; psychic
impairment; natural incapacity; contractual incapacity; incapacity to give
- Aspects of Forensic Medicine: Forensic narratology (narrative plots in reports
and rulings) and Clinical Forensics (parricide, filicide, uxoricide, homicide-
suicide, maltreatment of old people and minors, mobbing, stalking, sexual
offences and crimes of passion, serial killings.
F. DE FERRARI-L. PALMIERI, Manuale di Medicina Legale, Giuffrè, Milano, 2007.
A. VERDE-C. BARBIERI (a cura di), Narrative del male. Dalla vita alla fiction, dalla fiction alla vita,
Franco Angeli, Milano, 2010.
Further reading material will be handed out to students by the lecturer.
Further information can be found on the lecturer's webpage at
http://www2.unicatt.it/unicattolica/docenti/index.html or on the Faculty notice board.