Anatomy Homework #2 (Date)
Tissue Types Skin and Body Membranes
Short Answer Essay Short Answer Essay
1. Define tissue. List the four major types of tissue. 1. What is the name of the connective tissue
Which of the four major tissue types is most membrane found lining joint cavities?
widely distributed in the body?
2. What primary tissues are destroyed when the skin
2. Describe the general characteristics of epithelial is damaged?
tissue. List the most important functions of
epithelial tissues and give examples of each. 3. From what types of damage does the skin protect
3. How are epithelial tissues classified?
4. Explain why we become tanned after sitting in
4. Where is ciliated epithelium found, and what role the sun.
does it play?
5. Name two different categories of skin secretions
5. How do the endocrine and exocrine glands differ and the glands that manufacture them.
in structure and function?
6. How does the skin help to regulate body
6. What are the general structural characteristics of temperature?
connective tissues? What are the functions of
connective tissues? How are their functions 7. What is a blackhead?
reflected in their structures? 9. What are arrector pilli? What do they do?
7. Name a connective tissue with (a) a soft fluid 10. What are the life-threatening consequences of
matrix, and (b) a stony hard matrix. severe burns?
8. What is the function of muscle tissue? 11. Distinguish between first-, second-, and third-
9. Name the three types of muscle tissue and tell degree burns
where each would be found in the body. 12. Why does hair turn gray?
10. What is meant by “Smooth muscles are 13. Name three changes that occur in the skin as one
involuntary in action”? Which muscle type is ages.
voluntary in action?
11. In what ways are neurons similar to other cells? At the Clinic
How are they different?
1. A nurse tells a doctor that a
patient is cyanotic. What is
At the Clinic cyanosis? What does its presence
1. John has severely injured 2. Both newborn infants and aged individuals have
his knee during football very little subcutaneous tissue. How does this
practice. He is told that he has affect their sensitivity to cold environmental
a torn knee cartilage and to temperature?
expect that recovery and repair will take a long 3. A 40-year-old beachboy is complaining to you
time. Why? that his suntan made him popular when he was
5. Three patients in an intensive care unit are young, but now his face is all wrinkled, and he
examined by the resident doctor. One patient has has several darkly pigmented moles that are
brain damage from a stroke, another had a heart growing rapidly and are as big as large coins.
attack that severely damaged his heart muscle, What does that mean, and why should he be
and the third has a severely damaged liver (a concerned?
gland) from a crushing injury in a car accident. 4. Martha, the mother of a 13-month-old infant,
All three patients have stabilized and will brings her child to the clinic because his skin has
survive, but only one will have full functional turned orange. Why does the pediatrician inquire
recovery through regeneration. Which one and about the child diet?
5. If the water of a swimming pool is hypotonic to
our cells and body fluids (and it is) then why do
we not swell and pop when we go for a swim?