A Streetcar Named Desire Williams Webquest
*Directions: Go online and log on to www.imagi-nation.com/moonstruck/clsc9.htm and answer the
following questions in complete sentences. If you have trouble accessing that site, find another that
gives accurate biographical information about Tennessee Williams. Also, know that Williams’ family
did not have a lot of money, and that he creates memorable, exotic characters, which he explores
through the unconscious mind; he is especially noted for his realistic portrayal of female characters in
conflict with their worlds.
1. a. On what day, in what city, and with what full name was Tennessee Williams born?
b. In what city was Tennessee Williams born?
c. With what full name was Tennessee Williams born?
2. Because Williams was born in Mississippi in 1911, what theme(s)/topic(s) might he address in his plays?
3. As the biography says, when he was working as a shoe salesman, he met a young man named Stanley Kowalski.
What significance might this name have?
4. a. Based on the website’s description of him, what kind of life do you think Williams had?
b. Was he generally happy or unhappy?
c. Why/What makes you say this?
5. What other playwright does the website mention as having had an influence on Williams’ life? (Consider the fact
that the website says that “many people believe that Tennessee used his own familiar relationships as inspiration for
6. What kind(s) of relationship(s) do you believe Williams might include in A Streetcar Named Desire? (You can just
guess, using the biographical information to inform your response.)
7. a. How many plays did Williams write?
b. How many Pulitzer Prizes did he win?
8. a. How did Williams die?
b. When did Williams die?
9. Name the play(s) by Williams that was (were) made into movies?
10. In addition to plays, what other type(s) of literature did he produce?