INTRODUCTION of national pride.
What were conditions like in the United States in 1899, Mark Twain criticized America's interference abroad,
the year in which Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church and a New York Times editorial cautioned the country
came into being? The business titan was John D. not to "fasten the chains of our sovereignty" upon
Rockefeller and the concerns had to do with the Industrial unwilling people.
Americans also worried about what was happening at
A series of financial and industrial mergers in the last home. People believed the world was shrinking, as the
years of the century, particularly the 1899 telephone made it possible to connect with faraway
consolidation of 30 paper companies into the giant places, and immigration
International Paper Company and the purchase of major
railroad lines by J.P. Morgan and Jay Gould only brought foreign cultures to this country. The cities were
increased the public's fears about the power of big rapidly filling up with immigrants from Poland,
business. Russia, Germany, Ireland and Italy, and some people
said that good, white Protestants had to defend the
The depletion of the Western Frontier had Americans country from this influx of foreigners.
concerned about environmental preservation, while the
telegraph and automobile were seen as exciting - but But amid all these nagging concerns, there was still a
ominous - new technologies. sense that the new country would be wondrous. People
were kind of anticipating a millennium that was going to
Tuberculosis, the 19th-century equivalent of AIDS, be pretty good, and that sounds - happily familiar.
continued to baffle physicians and ravage entire towns.
A look at the history books suggests that what was fretted
Doomsayers we're predicting disaster, as the clock hit about at the end of the 19th century was not so different
midnight on December 31, 1899. People took out full- from what is on our minds at the dawn of the 21st.
page ads in New York and Chicago newspapers,
anticipating the Second Coming _ of Jesus Christ. History 1889-1999
And what of America's future? The country was On January 8, 1899, Trinity Evangelical Lutheran
beginning to assert itself as a player on the Church of Shelton held its first meeting in the Methodist
imperialistic stage, having just beaten Spain in the Episcopal Church in Derby, at 4:00 P.M., with eighteen
Spanish-American War, and most Americans felt a glow worshippers present.
Records of the Derby Church show that on October 6, Joseph Hollrit, Richard Kalich, Julius Keller, William
1898, a small group of Germans who wanted to worship in Krieg, Herman Langer, Fredrick Meyer, Richard Renker,
their mother tongue, asked to use the basement of the Ferdinand Rosendahl, Johann Ruderisch, Franzes
Church once a week, for German Services. Seyffert, Albert Schultz, Carl Schultz, Mr. And Mrs.
Fritz Stolzenberg, Emma Tebbe, Gustav Weimann, and
This small group of German Lutherans had come to August Werder. The first offering was taken, and the
Shelton to work in the weaving mills of the Sidney group decided to purchase 1,000 envelopes and 20 hymn
Blumenthal Company, which was located on Canal Street. books —10 large ones with music and 10 small ones
This company later became the Sponge Rubber Products with only the words. These were in the German
Company and finally, the B. F. Goodrich Co. language.
Reverend Paul Lemke, pastor of Immanuel Lutheran In January of 1900, The Evening Sentinel was used to
Church of Seymour, was officially called as part-time advertise Worship Services.
pastor. Pastor Lemke may have considered us a
mission Church, at first, because he was not paid a At the first annual meeting, held on May 28, 1900,the
salary until September, when he was granted a salary of congregation adopted the name Dreieinigkeits
$5.00 per month, together with a transportation Gemeinde, and Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church
allowance of $1.50 per month, whether he walked to was on its way! At that meeting a constitution was
Church or used his wagon. adopted.
An organist from Ansonia had also been hired, at a The first fund-raising event was held on October 19,
salary of $.50 per week. 1900. Two hundred persons came to hear a choir or
musical group. It cost $5.75 to move the piano in the
On January 15, 1899, the group met once again, and Derby Methodist Episcopal Church. Tickets were sold
decided to form a provisional Church council, which for $.25 each, and a profit of $47.55 was realized.
consisted of the following men: Julius Keller, Fritz
Meyer, Louis Stirche and Fritz Stolzenberg. The first record of benevolence work was noted in
March of 1901. The congregation received an offering
The first signing of Charter Members was held on January of $11.00 for the orphaned children of a Mrs. Wemli.
29, 1899. The members were: Herman F. Breitengross, During the first 25 years of the Church's existence,
Peter Dillenburger, Philip Eckhardt, John Fasear, John donations were made to the Orphanage at Mt.
Freiheit, William Grabowski, Mina Hagar, F. Hafersaat, Vernon, to the German Ambassador for World War I
Mrs. Hatter, Maggii Holdermann, Martin Holdermann, Sufferers and Prisoners of War, Wagner College, Paul
Gerhardt Memorial in Berlin (he was a hymn writer), Building plans moved rather slowly. On November 1,
Missions, Nurses Fund in Derby, Doctor's Expedition 1910, an architect was hired, and in April of 1911, the
and the Lutheran Home in Southbury. plans were accepted and the Flynt Building and
Construction Company of Palmer, Mass., the lowest
On September 15, 1901, the congregation began holding bidder, was hired. Work began immediately, and the
Worship Services in the First Baptist Church of Shelton, $4,400.00 building was finished in approximately six
which was located at the corner of Howe Avenue and months.
White Street, where Webster Bank is now located.
The dedication of the new Church was held on October 1,
In 1903, a Building Fund was established. It was 1911. It was a festive affair, and there were four
interesting to note that the three largest contributors ministers present -Pastors Hunzinger, Clemen, Rothke
were the Ladies Aid Society ($300.00), the Young and Froeberg. The guest choirs were from Bridgeport
People's Society ($240.00), and the Sidney Blumenthal and Seymour, as well as the famous Concordia Choir
of Seymour. It was wonderful to have a filled Church for
this event and a Church of their own after twelve years
of using the basements of other Churches!
It was not until 1906 that specific action was taken to
utilize The Fund. Mr. Stolzenberg, acting as the In the early days of the Church's existence, the lights
congregation's representative, negotiated with the
were gas, of course. There was no central heating system
Ousatonic Water Company to purchase a building lot on
and heat was provided by portable gas heaters. During
Howe Avenue. (Today, the lot is occupied by the
the cold .weather, members sat in Church with coats on,
footings of the Route 8 Bridge). The congregation held
and with cold feet - and many times, they could see
a special meeting on December 23, 1906 and twenty-three
members voted to buy the lot for $900.00. A down their breaths! The organist's cold fingers often could not
payment of $300.00 was also agreed upon. move very fast!
During the early years, the Church used a small pump
It was not until July of 1909, when the First Baptist
organ, similar to what could have been found in
Church increased our rental fee from $1.00 to $1.50 per
week that the financially burdened congregation people's homes. Lydia Weimann seems to have been
resolved to construct a building. The Church council the second organist. Although she was reimbursed
was appointed the Building Committee and five women $15.00 for organ lessons taken, she received no salary.
were chosen to help make decisions on the interior It was considered a privilege to serve the Church in this
furnishings of the new Church. capacity! She played for the Church School at 3:00 p.m.
on Sundays and for the Worship Service at 4:00 p.m.
In 1912, an Organ Fund was established, and, in 1915, a year: President, Mrs. A. Schultz; Secretary, Mrs. J.
tracker organ was purchased from the Episcopal Church Ruderisch; Treasurer, Mrs. Backmann. Pastor Lemke
of Bridgeport. Lydia's younger brother, Bill, together with also attended this meeting. The ladies prepared a
Council members, took turns at pumping the organ while constitution and discussed it at their next two meetings.
she played it.
Mrs. Ruderisch wrote in the first recorded minutes
In 1916, Mrs. H. G. Altner was the first woman to be that "the ladies spent too much time gossiping." It must
elected to the Church Council. Old records describe her as have been quite a problem, for, in June, Pastor Lemke
"very active in the congregation". scolded the ladies and further asked that they be
punctual and orderly, as that would bring them "closer
Benevolence spaces were provided on offering to their goal in God". Pastor Lemke regularly read to
envelopes in June of 1919; the left side was designated them exciting stories about missions in Japan and China.
for Current Expenses and the right for Benevolences.
The ladies enjoyed such social activities as a train
In 1924, women of the Church were allowed to vote for ride to Seymour, singing with the Stolzenberg
the first time, when the decision was made to become a children, taking the Church School children on an
member of the Ministerium of New York. outing, meeting with the Ansonia Ladies Aid Society,
going on a wagon ride, and bringing a gift to an ill
More exciting changes were to come in 1924, when member. There was a close relationship with the
Trinity looked forward to the celebration of its 25th Seymour Ladies Aid, and the two groups often visited
Anniversary. And guess what we did! We painted the back and forth with one another.
basement! - as well as the upstairs and we put in
electricity for $228. The ladies had fun, but helping the Church to pay its
bills was the main reason for their existence. It must be
THE LADIES AID SOCIETY remembered that many of the men worked six and
sometimes seven days a week and as much as ten hours a
On March 28, 1901, the Ladies Aid Society was formed: day, at Blumenthals. They occupied themselves with the
ten ladies met at the home of Mrs. Albert Schultz. Council and keeping up the property, but the women
Those who attended were: Mrs. M. Holdermann, Mrs. J. were left with many of the other responsibilities at the
Keller, Mrs. J. Ruderisch, Mrs. Keller, Mrs. Backmann, Church.
Mrs. Bernhard, Mrs. C. Schultz, Mrs. F. Stolzenberg,
Mrs. A. Schultz and Mrs. Claus. The following officers In March of 1903, at Pastor Lemke's urging, they
were elected for a term of one purchased Communion vessels - a chalice and flagon - at
a cost of $9.75. SUNDAY SCHOOL
The first of their famous German suppers was held on The children's religious instructions could not be
December 2, 1903 - 200 tickets were printed and sold neglected, and on October 15, 1899, at 3:00 p.m., the
at $.15 each. Every member was asked to sell 10 first Sunday school session was held. Carl Schultz was
tickets. Mrs. Almandinger was best at that. She was the Superintendent.
known to traverse Howe Avenue, visiting all the
shopkeepers and even the Chief of Police! The supper In late 1902, Superintendent Schultz reported that
menu consisted of fresh pork and ham, German potato attendance was poor and the children were very unruly.
salad, cole-slaw, sauerkraut and frankfurters, rye bread and On March 3, 1903, the Sunday school was closed, due to
pumpernickel, German apple cake, and coffee. poor attendance.
In 1904, quilting parties were held from October to Available records do not indicate when the Sunday
December. The ladies raffled off the quilt and two school
aprons. At every meeting, there was a raffle of some reopened, but Fritz Stolzenberg became the second
kind; this was a standard part of the business, and it Superintendent. It is known that the Ladies Aid Society
helped to raise extra dollars, each time. took the children on trips and picnics, and paid the
expenses for their Christmas parties.
Other fund-raisers were Food Sales, Strawberry
Festivals, Ice Cream Socials, Blanket Clubs, Card Very little information can be found about the Young
Parties and Rummage Sales. All of these events helped People's Society. They contributed to the Building
to pay the bills. Fund, and they organized in 1914. In 1924, their
Officers were: President -William Weimann, Vice
The ladies furnished much of the Church; they paid for President - Elizabeth Freiheit, Secretary - Edward Marr,
almost everything, from the kitchen stove to the altar and Treasurer - Minnie Weimann.
appointments. The very first altar cloths - linen with
embroidered edges -were made by Mrs. Elsie Finances can be quite uninteresting, but where did "the
Emmerich. money come from? We can look at the pages of the
treasurers' reports and do not find very large offerings until
It must be said that the Ladies Aid Society played an recent years.
integral role in the survival of the Church, during the
F. Stolzenberg made the first offering of $1.00 on
first twenty-five years.
January 29, 1899. His offerings continued to under gird
the work of Trinity until his death on Christmas Eve, 1929-1930 we changed from gas to oil) when the heating
1934. After his death, there was so little money that system was installed, we were unable to get a new
only the utilities were paid and the pastor was owed part mortgage without the help of Mr. Stolzenberg. We
of his salary for months. were able to pay him his money, yet we carried $1650
on the Church for many years. In 1938 the bank wanted
In August and September of 1924, we paid $38.00 for some members to endorse a note for that amount, and
having the organ tuned by two men. In 1926, a blower several did. But it was Pastor Borchert who forced the
was purchased from the Hall Organ Company of New issue and urged the council to have a mortgage retirement
Haven for $245.00. Up until that time it was the council payment of $5.00 a month. At that, it was with difficulty
members who had been ordered to take turns to pump that the note was retired in 1942.
the instrument and to keep in rhythm with the organist -
or else. That or else must have been — buy a blower! We Then we can move to the year of 1935. Problems again -
must have had it for our anniversary - but not one word was at the annual meeting Emma Krebs (later Mrs. Norman
written about it! Symonds) had to ask the mothers to have their children
attend Sunday school more regularly and be more
In those days it was really the thing to have electric obedient. But the ladies still loved the children and gave
candles on the altar so the ladies went with the latest them outings and parties. They tripped up to the Holy
fashion and bought them. We have since brought into Land in Waterbury.
focus the liturgical correctness of wax candles.
The organ was rebuilt in 1938 for $200. It was decided
On July 24, 1925, the Constitution was changed so that to put tuning caps on it for an additional $35.00. On
both men and women could vote. December 18th, 1938 there was a joint candlelight and
In February, 1926, a lengthy discussion was held on the organ rededication service with the Seymour Church.
question of whether to use English in teaching the children
of the Sunday school. It was decided to teach in German The first service in English was held in 1939. Prior to
that, all services were in German. However, since
There was an every member canvass January 11, 1926, German was no longer spoken at home, and the
but we don't have the results of that project. It was children were not learning the language, it was felt
Pastor Borchert who led the next significant one in that young people would not come to a
February of 1938. There were 90 pledges totaling
$774.40! In addition $140 was pledged to benevolence. Church with a language they did not understand. German
was continued on certain Sundays for the benefit of those
When the Church was built they were able to get the who still wanted their mother tongue. Eventually, it was
mortgage for the funds they needed. But in 1929, (in reserved only for Good Fridays.
The year 1948 sees Trinity moving again. Trinity was On May 21, 1950, the enlarged altered and renovated
moved to its present location during that year, due to the building was dedicated to the Glory of God.
construction of the new Route 8. The Church was on
Howe Avenue, where Route 8 goes over the Church's The year 1964 became an important time when new
original location. The state paid for the moving of the direction was given to Trinity. On March 5th, Peter Drever
Church up Howe Avenue and also paid for the land on was the first full time pastor called to Trinity. His
Howe and Myrtle. service began July 1st after moving into the parsonage
In October of 1948 the furniture was moved into storage which had been purchased the previous month at Cold
and by Thanksgiving of that same year the Church was Spring Circle for $25,000.
on the edge of the new lot, waiting for the foundation to
be erected to receive it. Several small bills were paid for With the diminishing German language services, Good
cement and tile and stair treads, and the ladies purchased Friday of 1964 had seen the last German service held at
the stove, sink and curtains. It was in July of 1949 that the Trinity.
furniture was moved back into the building and that bill
paid. The rededication of the enlarged Church was In the same year, St. Paul's Lutheran Church of
Ansonia, established by people with Swedish
celebrated in June of 1950, with a huge new kitchen, a
background, voted to disband and merge with
working sacristy, a furnace room and a new front
Immanuel Lutheran Church of Seymour. However, some
entrance with no stairs to climb.
50 members came to Trinity which added greatly to the
congregation on September 1st. They were welcomed
(Where did the congregation meet between 1948-1950?)
with a coffee hour that morning to a Church that
(1999, still don't know.)
needed them, as well as a Church they needed.
Immediately, their names filled the pages of the record
Progress, in the way of a new highway, forced Trinity to books. A new life was given to a tired and struggling
settle in its present location at the corner of Howe Avenue congregation.
and Myrtle Street.
There has always been one important picture before
Growing pains quickly crept in where, through a building the members - the Lord Jesus responding to his
fund campaign, the pains were relieved with a huge new faltering disciple when Peter prays, "Lord help me."
kitchen, a working sacristy, a furnace room, and a new The first pastor of Trinity saw the necessity of reminding
front entrance with no stairs to climb - to the pleasure of the the ladies of their goals in God. We still have that need to
older folks. be reminded that we are the hands of our Lord Jesus
reaching into the world, called to raise up the fallen, to
feed the hungry, to comfort the despairing, to give Christmas silver teas were appearing on the holiday
hope to the dying, and to show our Lord and God to calendar.
the unbelieving. Lord help us.
Pastor Daun McKee was the second pastor called to
Accordingly, Ruth Circle was born on Sept. 9th. Of Trinity and began his term in 1969. A welcome party
the 14 ladies in attendance, 7 voted in favor of Ruth as was organized for May Jo McKee in June of '69.
the circle, 6 preferred Dorcas, and one Rachael. Ruth Permission was also given by LCW to put food in the
was accepted and remained through future days. refrigerator at the parsonage.
Immediately projects were considered, mentioning
stamps and stockings. The next meeting brought the The '69 carolers were rewarded with cookies and
decision to place markers in the hymnals. A free will sandwiches upon their return and, according to Nancy
offering was made to establish a "sunshine club Johnson, - It was a wonderful experience.
flower fund". Julie Drever suggested the women make
an Advent wreath for the Church chancel the following Whatever happened to the Men's club that helped
fall. The following year the women initiated the mother- purchase the motor - what motor? - and made frequent
daughter supper. visits to Southbury Home with foodstuffs and tobacco?
According to records of 1966, Southbury Guild dues Men, did you miss your white shirts? They were made
and Southbury birthday party were put on the agenda. Ruth into Johnny coats.
Circle received an invitation from St. Margaret Mary
Ladies' Guild to visit and tour their school and Church on In November of 1970, each member present at the
May 1st. Approximately 12 members accepted the circle meeting offered a penny which resolved into the
invitation. In the fall of 1967, an "evening of Fellowship" "Least Coin" program. Do you know that Lorraine
with other Churches had begun. Also started was the Wysowski is still gathering wayward pennies?
clothes drive for Lutheran World Relief.
By 1968, the Mother-Daughter banquet brought out The need for expanded and more adequate Church school
approximately 100 women and children. About 20 facilities had long been evident but now with the St.
attended the Southbury Home birthday special at which Paul's children, it was felt more than ever.
time Trinity's junior choir had performed in song.
A building program culminated in a separate Christian
To accommodate young mothers, meetings were set for Education building consisting of ten rooms on two
9:30 A.M. on the second Wednesday of each month. floors. Completed and dedicated in May of 1970, it still
remains in the same location. The year 1976 ended with Trinity being debt free.
Mortgages on both the Ed Building and Parsonage were
To keep shut-ins in contact with the congregation, Anna burned. However,
Pawluk organized volunteers to visit such persons and
assist them in any way possible. future plans involved restoration of the worship area
of the Church, so we weren't to be debt-free for long.
Remembering our Southbury shut-ins, turkish towels
were converted into bibs to help with neatness. Shortly 1977 was spent in study, considering property
thereafter, bed pads were made for improved sanitation. improvements and how to restore worship and work
Frieda Rotters had an enchanting way of keeping the areas. A new directory for members of Trinity was
women busy with projects. Boxes of coats and warm distributed.
clothing were sent to an Indian reservation in Maine.
You didn't know there was one! Restoration of the worship area began in 1978. During
that time the congregation met at Sunnyside School for
Other woolen coats were transformed into afghans services. Sunday school was still held in the Education
for our African neighbors. Cancer pads were a comfort Building. Easter Sunday we returned to our Church and a
to those in need.
Service of Dedication took place April 16.
Shorter term projects have always been on-going The organ had been removed during restoration and
since the women have seriously accepted the call to
rebuilt; returned to Trinity on July 8, 1978.
reach out into the world, raise the fallen, feed the hungry,
comfort the despairing, give hope to the dying, and show
Ordination of the first pastor from the congregation,
God to the unbelieving.
Henry Pawluk, took place on July 8.
In 1973, Pastor Donald Williams was called to Trinity. In
1975, the Food Cupboard was established to help those Trinity's 80th anniversary year, 1979, was marked with a
who lost jobs due to the fire bombing of the B. F. dinner in the Parish Hall. The green Lutheran book of
Goodrich Co. Operations were first held at Trinity. Our Worship was introduced this year. Pastor Donald
members still contribute non-perishable food and Williams and his wife Lois added vocal and musical
several have worked to service the Food Bank. beauty to services. Pastor Williams inspired a few
Lorraine Wysowski is our active liaison worker. Trinity willing gardeners to grow and dry flowers, which he
also supports Operation Holiday. used to create a 7-foot Christmas tree, for the sanctuary.
The beautiful results were much admired.
In 1980 restoration loans were paid. The first Laotion for the home-bound, which continues to this day.
family was sponsored; the Borivongs. In all, seven
refugee families were helped through the next few years The year 1985 saw more work done on the Education
by area Churches. The Sysavats are still members of Building. Downstairs was insulated; wall board put up and
Trinity and will become U.S. citizens in the summer of painted.
In 1986 Bibles were added to the new pew racks built
Pastor Williams resigned in 1983, having served Trinity by Curt Scheibner and Ed Tie. An area ecumenical
for 10 years, to go to "Christ the King" in Wilbraham, program, providing suppers for the homeless, was
MA. Trinity called Pastor David Rinas, who had started for Spooner House in Derby and still operates.
served as our interim pastor. His wife, Doreen, later Elinor Yergey has chaired for Trinity and cooked all
became organist and was an active leader and worker these years - her "sloppy joes" remain a favorite.
in many facets of our Church life.
During this time, fourteen banners were made by The outstanding event of 1988 was the merger and
members, inspired by Doreen. formation of the ELCA.
1984 was Trinity's 85th anniversary year, marked by a Trinity's Endowment Fund was established in 1988 by a
pictorial directory and a buffet dinner at Rapp's Paradise gift of $2000 from Martha Smith's estate; all principal
Inn in Ansonia on November 2. Former pastors Drever, amounts to be retained and only the income expended.
McKee and Williams were present, as was Pastor
Borchert's wife. "Lutheran Men in Mission", a prayer-discussion group,
met for breakfast in Fellowship Hall. Ed Paradis went
Another property renewal project began. Vinyl siding to Texas for a
was put on the Church building; energy-saving
measures included heating system changes and training session and headed the group, which no longer
insulation. The parking lot was paved and a ramp made meets, but existed for several years.
the Church handicap-accessible. Repairs made to the
parsonage included a new roof. Our 90th anniversary year, 1989; another pictorial
directory made us aware of our ever-changing
A new Baptismal Font was given in celebration of the congregation. We celebrated 90 years with a dinner
Ruppel's 50th Anniversary. at Rapp's Paradise Inn. Bishop Isaksen was guest of
honor. Resurrection L. C. in New Haven became our
Training for Lay Visiting with communion was initiated "sister parish".
Our new, beautiful resurrection cross was given by In 1991, $15,000 was given to the New England Synod
Tony DeLallo in memory of his wife, Irmgard, an active from the last check from the Nordstrom estate. The
and beloved member of Trinity since childhood. Choir congregation voted to use the remainder of that check to
Chimes were given in memory of Anna Belfanc. pay for renovations to the Fellowship Hall, the Office and
Upon the death of Clarence Nordstrom, a faithful
member of Trinity, a bequest from his estate helped add to The Endowment Fund was to be used to enhance the
our Endowment Fund and would help finance Fellowship mission outreach of Trinity, apart from general
Hall renovations. operation of the congregation. The Fund is allocated in
three equal amounts to support - 1) Education/Vocation,
1990 brought unexpected changes to Trinity. Pastor 2) Outreach, 3) Trinity.
Rinas accepted a call to "Prince of Peace" in Augusta,
Maine, and of course our organist, Doreen, left with him. Nordstrom Hall was dedicated. The Ecumenical
Our first woman pastor, Elizabeth Mayforth, served as Thanksgiving Eve Service filled our Church with a record
interim pastor. 158 worshippers.
Our first Advent Wreath workshop and potluck supper In 1992 the Parish Nurse program was established at
proved popular and is still held the first Sunday in Advent. Trinity under the leadership of Chaplain/Pastor Fred
Erson and Nurse Anita Erson. A Health Cabinet aids
Pastor Mayforth was instrumental in involving the youth Anita in planning programs to bring up-to-date health
of our Church in service projects at Gould Farm, going information to our congregation. Blood pressures are
on retreats, bowling, caroling, taking trips and taken at a coffee hour once a month.
experiencing "lock-ins." Adult Forums were held the
same time as Sunday school. Sixteen "King Blue" choir robes were purchased in
1993. Adrian Mackiewicz, a talented graduate student
On November 17, 1991, at 3:00 p.m. Bishop Isaksen at Yale, was hired as organist/choir director.
installed Pastor Mayforth as Trinity's pastor. Norman "Celebrate", a bulletin insert of prayers and psalms, was
Gregory had been hired as our Organist/Choir Director in introduced. Seven directional road signs for Trinity
February. were put in place around town. Our Pastor "Liz"
married David Pudimat on June 20.
The Church roof was replaced. The Sanctuary and
Fellowship Hall, as well as the Education Building, saw 1994 started with major repairs to the organ bellows.
extensive changes and refurbishing. Forty five new LBW's were dedicated on All Saints'
Day, given as memorial gifts. answered the call of the Pentagon to become an Active
Reserve Army Chaplain to the Chaplains of a five-
A new, more contemporary Book of worship was state area. Our organist also left the end of December!
introduced in 1995- "With One Voice". It is used mostly
during the summer months until Advent. One hundred 1998 was spent in search of a pastor and organist. Trinity
"W.O.V." hymnals were given in memory of Edmund has had nine supply pastors and several organists.
Ruppel by his family. Pastor Fred Erson, a member of Trinity, has guided
and served our congregation many times in many
Epiphany Banners were made by Loree Edenborg in ways. Pastor Charles Schwarz was our vacancy pastor;
memory of Anna Pawluk and Irmgard DeLallo. Easter Pastor Ivarson served after he passed away. In April, we
Banners were given in memory of Gerda Bengtson. The welcomed Jeff Stokely to be our Organist/Choir Director
first pulpit exchange with to the delight of everyone!
St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Huntington took place On June 28th, we hosted the 20th Anniversary of
on October 8. Ordination celebration of Pastor Henry Pawluk.
In. 1996, Stephanie Eichhorst became a seminarian at Through the months Trinity has been without a much-
Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary, following in the needed pastor: Church Council members and Church
footsteps of Pastor Mayforth. Secretary, Jeanne Bucchino, have diligently worked to
see that our Church survived. Their dedication, and
On June 14, 1998 our "Twice is Nice" Thrift Store that of the Call Committee, have earned our appreciation
opened, the brain-child of Sandy Wallace. It is located and thanks for a job well done.
in the Education Building and helps in our outreach
into the community. Clothing is supplied by members 1999 - Trinity's 100th Year! A banner adorns the
of the congregation and friends. Lorraine Wysowski Church Building announcing this historic event to the
and Irene Rice work there most Saturday mornings. community. The whole year will be filled with special
events. Lillian Thiede was asked to chair these events.
A sound system was installed in 1997. Chimes were
dedicated in memory of Elsa Brandenburg, sounding the On January 10th, a Festival of the Church Anniversary
hour and playing hymns on Sunday, calling all to worship took place - a truly beautiful, warm and inspiring
and sounding Trinity's presence in the community. service. Many dignitaries and local clergy attended. The
Rev. Kathleen Reed represented our Bishop Isaksen, and
On November 2 of this year, Pastor Mayforth-Pudimat gave the homily. Our 14-member choir sang Shubert's
"Mass in G" in Latin -gloriously!! Everyone seemed to and death took its toll.
enjoy the luncheon that followed in Nordstrom Hall.
Ruth Circle supports Southbury Lutheran Home, actively
Sunday, March 21, Pastor Hans Haspel-Schoenfeld participates in the Spring Gathering of the Southern
preached and afterwards the congregation voted CT Conference of WELCA. The latest project, making
unanimously to extend a call to him, which he accepted. quilts for Lutheran World Relief, will be an on-going
Once again, after 17 months search, Trinity was to have a project.
One outstanding member, who has served Trinity
On March 28, Palm Sunday, Bishop Isaksen presided since her childhood, is Marjorie Christensen. Sunday
at our Service in honor of Trinity's 100th anniversary. school Teacher, Superintendent, Church Secretary, Choir
His sermon theme "Hands" was inspired by our Member, Altar Guild and Ruth Circle Leader, Lay-
Anniversary Quilt hanging, featuring the handprints of Communion Visitor, and Council Member. Marj also
members, designed by Karen Climis and sewn by many served on various committees at Trinity and in the New
loving hands. England Synod. Truly a servant of Our Lord.
Trinity Lutheran Church has held many baptisms, As mentioned before, there has always been one important
confirmations, weddings and funerals in its 100 year picture before our people since 1911 - the picture of our
history. The faces in the congregation change; someone Lord Jesus responding to his faltering disciple when Peter
always seems to come forward to fill a void or a need. prays, "Lord help me." We still have the need to be
Education is stressed for adults as well as our youth, who reminded that we are the hands of our Lord Jesus reaching
are a very important part of our Church life. Trinity has into the world, called to raise up the fallen, to feed the
been blessed with dedicated pastors, organists, choir hungry, to comfort the despairing, to give hope to the
dying, to show our Lord and God to the unbelieving. -
members, teachers, Church council members, Lord, help us.
secretaries, sextons and people willing to serve on
committees and keep our Church functioning.
During the mid-seventies to the present time, the
women's groups - "LCW", now "Women of the ELCA"
and Ruth Circle,
born in 1964, remained faithful in meeting and serving.
Members diminished as many women went to work, moved