Bert Jerman by zhangyun


									Bert Jerman

By peter Imlay
• U.S. Army Air Forces
  Pacific Theater
• And was captured by the Japanese empire
The Japanese had landed on the northern
 part of the island of Luzon and were
 rapidly advancing on Clark Field. We
 evacuated to the Bataan peninsula on
 Christmas Eve. All I took with me were a
 few personal effects, clothing, and my
 horse head pipe

I was captured on April 9, l942 and I was
 liberated in 1945 September
he was a prisoner of war for forty-two months.
 In fact, when he was captured he was
 operating a “net control” station. It was a radio
 station that controlled a certain sector of the
 war that we were in

first thing they did was either bayonet you or
 killed you

Several thousand men were killed or shot
         The places he stayed

Camp O’Donnell
Then Balangao which the US army had but got
 drove out
Then to Ft.Mckinly
Cabanatuan POW camp to Bilibid Prison in
Then 1500 of us marched from the camp to a
 pier on Manila bay were they were put in to a
 freighter/(on a ship)
Then after we got out they were put into groups
 of one 100 where they wound up at fukuoka
 camp No. 3 near a town of tobata
He lived at first
His barracks
they put us in different prison camps. The
 first one was Camp O’Donnell, which had
 been a training area for the Filipinos
They asked for volunteer people that were
 communication people and I put my name
 in and luckily I was chosen one of fifteen.
 Really I think that saved my life because I
 got out of that can.
The were not fed well at all
 “… Every two or three days they
would come around with a bucket
        of steamed rice.
 You could stick your hand in and
 whatever you could get in your
  hand that was your rations.”
             He said
This was a water
Some of the ways they would
punish or torturer Americans
These are some of the tools they
     would use to torture
Or they would kill them
                           The rescue
•   Starting in May, 1945, B- 29 aircraft raids on the steel mill were becoming
    more and more common. In the middle of August, 1945, the camp
    commander, Major Yacht Irritate, called a meeting of the whole camp. He
    informed us that Japan, Great Britain and the United States had decided to
    stop fighting and that the war was over. We were warned not to leave camp,
    since it was unknown how the surrounding population would treat us. This
    did not stop us from exercising our new-found freedom. My friend, Jack
    Tossing, and I took several trips on the electric trains, checking out the local
    country. B- 29 aircrafts were dropping food, clothing, and medical supplies
    to us nearly every day. After a screening at Letterman General Hospital, I
    was assigned to a General Hospital in Van Nuys, California. I was given a
    two weeks convalescent leave to go to my home in Bisbee, Arizona. My
    mode of transportation was by civilian train, which was very crowded with
    discharged military personnel going home. I had an Air Force B-4 bag,
    which I set in the aisle. My horse head pipe was in the bag, and sometime
    during the trip one of its ears broke. How ironic. Without a scratch, the pipe
    had survived all the trials of war over the course of 42 months. I was able to
    repair the pipe at a later date with a piece of brier taken from another pipe. I
    made a case befitting the pipe, and it now rests in a place of honor in a
    curio cabinet.

To top