L.O. 1) Describe the process of
2) Be aware of the Pro.s and Con.s
STARTER - What do you
understand by the term genetic
It means to artificially alter the
genes possessed by an organism.
Usually by removing a gene from
one organism and inserting it into
Genetic engineering in
• When we genetically
engineer an organism we say
we are creating a GM
• Watch the following video.
What view do you
think the makers of
this video have on
What are the social and ethical issues
surrounding Genetic Engineering?
1. Enables plants and animals be disease
2. May enable them to be more productive.
1. Are we blurring the lines between species.
2. What are the known health risks
associated with GM food?
3. What are the long-term effects on the
environment of GM organisms/products?
4. What if we transfer something ‘bad’