Wayne County Public Schools K-8 Reading
1. Reading Renaissance/AR/STAR is a supplemental reading program
to enhance reading instruction. This program motivates and manages
student reading practice that promotes comprehension. It is not a
replacement for other reading instruction.
2. In order to implement Reading Renaissance/AR/STAR, each school
must insure that all teachers are trained to use the program(s).
3. Schools implementing Reading Renaissance/AR/STAR should set
realistic achievable goals based on the Goal Setting Chart: the ZPD
range, the amount of scheduled time for reading practice, and the
average percent correct. Goals should not be based solely on points
4. AR Quiz results cannot be used as grades at the elementary
5. At the Intermediate/Middle School level, AR Quiz results can only
be used as a homework, classwork or extra credit grade.
6. If reading an AR book is to count as a test grade, the student must
be tested on the Literacy Skills Test for the book and testing should
occur during the instructional day and under the supervision of the
7. If a teacher implements or uses the Reading Renaissance/AR/STAR
program, he/she is expected to follow the standards set forth by
Wayne County Public Schools.
8. Incentives or rewards for meeting Renaissance/AR goals
should be a school-wide decision or grade level decision and
must be approved by the principal.
9. AR books in the media center must be inter-shelved with all other
library books and cannot be separated from the rest of the available
10. Students should not be limited to only reading and/or
checking out AR library books as this may be an infringement
of their 1st Amendment rights.