Themes: World of knowledge
Topic: World Peace Day
Content Standard: 3.2 By the end of the 6 year primary schooling, pupils will be able to write
using appropriate language, form and style for a range of purposes.
3.3. By the end of the 6-year primary schooling, pupils will be able to write and
present ideas through a variety of media using appropriate language, form
Learning Standard: 3.2.3 Able to use punctuation correctly.
3.3.1 Able to create texts using a variety of media: (a) non-linear; (b) linear.
Objectives: By the end of the lesson, pupils are able to give their views about peace in
Time: 60 minutes
Teaching Aids: LCD, Computer, Internet connection, World Peace Day
By Regina Cyril, Teresa Rose Anak Gilbert Nyaod and Usha Reginald
Activity Teaching & Notes
1. Teacher gives pupils one minute to write as many Engaging interest
words as they can think of related to 'peace'.
2. Teacher elicits from pupils their views on peace Brainstorming &
and war. Discussion
3. Teacher gets pupils to read on views or comments Reading for http://learnenglishkids.british
of other children about peace posted on the website. information council.org/en/your-
4. Pupils write one sentence about what they think of Voicing opinions
when they see or hear the word 'Peace'. Pupils post
their sentences around the room. Pupils exchange
sentences and compare answers.
5. Teacher helps pupils with the scaffolding for writing. Scaffolding
They brainstorm the following :
(i) What is peace?
(ii) Why do people need peace?
(iii) What do people do to avoid war?
6. Pupils write their views individually. Once they have Process writing
completed their writing, they exchange with a partner
who checks the writing for content and
7. Next, teacher guides pupils to register on the web. Constructivism In order to register, pupils
Teacher guides pupils through the registration process. need to have an e-mail
The United Kingdom’s international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. A registered charity: 209131 (England and Wales) SC037733 (Scotland).
8. Pupils post their comments on the web. This can be Writing
done in pairs or small groups.
Teacher checks pupils writing before they post their
comments on the web.
Remedial: Mind map
Teacher helps pupils by creating a mind map with them
and getting them to organise their thoughts for the
Enrichment: Creative writing
Pupils write an article on one of the following related to
World Peace Day
How to avoid wars
What the world would be like if there were no wars
What each country should do to ensure peace
How to have a peaceful home
Page 2 of 2