Temporary to settled flyer.indd by liwenting


									                                                                                                                                                     The Settled Homes Scheme

                                          CityWest Homes, a company owned by Westminster Council, is buying
                                          around 200 homes in Westminster. These homes will be rented to homeless
                                          people. If you are fed up with living in temporary accommodation, a settled
                                          home could be just what you are looking for. Here’s why.
                                                                                                                                                       For families living in temporary accommodation the average wait
                                                                                                                                                       for a standard council or housing association property is nine years!
Along with standard council and           settled homes and standard council        you won’t be evicted. To begin with,       If you normally have too few points to successfully bid for properties,
housing association properties, we        tenancies. The most obvious               you will have an assured shorthold         then bidding for a settled home could be your best chance of getting
are now advertising settled homes         difference is the rent. CityWest          tenancy. When you have lived there         out of temporary accommodation.
through Choice Based Lettings.            Homes are buying these properties         for four years, you will be granted
Settled homes are for people living       on the open market and this is            an assured tenancy which will give
in temporary accommodation                expensive. To help cover purchase         you the same security as a housing
only. If you successfully bid for         costs, for the first four years the rent   association tenant. From then on,
one it will eventually become your        will be higher than we charge for         if you want to move to another
permanent home. That’ll mean no           standard council tenancies—rents          property you will be able to join our
more temporary accommodation,             will be similar to those charged for      tenant transfer list and bid for council
no more moving around, no more            temporary accommodation. If you are       or housing association properties as
uncertainty about where you’ll be         eligible for full housing benefit, your    they become available. Finally, there’s
living. You’ll have a permanent home      benefit will cover the rent. But even if   one small difference which is actually
with the security and stability that      you don’t get full housing benefit, this   a big plus: unlike standard council
brings; it’ll be a great opportunity to   could still be an affordable option.      properties, settled homes are newly
put down roots, plan for the future       After four years your rent will go        decorated and have carpets curtains,
and start living your life to the full.   down to the same level as a standard      cookers and fridges. Applicants near
What’s more, if you are a single          council or housing association            the top of the housing register might
person registered to bid for a studio     rent and future rent increases will       not go for settled homes as they will
flat, you’ll be able to bid for any one    be regulated. The second major            have enough points to successfully
bedroom properties advertised under       difference concerns the type of           bid for standard council properties.
this scheme.                              tenancy you will get. You will not be a   With those people not bidding, if you
                                          Westminster council tenant. However,      are lower down the list you may be
Sounds good; what’s the catch?            your property will be managed by          in with a chance of getting a settled
There are no catches; but there           CityWest Homes and as long as you         home. So check every week for these
are important differences between         don’t break the tenancy agreement         properties, and get bidding.
                                                                                                                       WAITI NG FOR A PERMANENT HOME?

For more information about settled homes contact:
            Westminster Housing Options Service
        101 Orchardson Street, London, NW8 8EA
                     T: 020 7641 1000 Minicom: 020 7641 8200 E: hoscustomerservices@cwh.org.uk

                                                                                  OU R SETTLED HOM ES SCH E M E C O U L D B E J U S T W H A T Y O U N E E D

To top