Media Center Orientation
Welcome to the Hominy Valley
Elementary School Media Center
Mrs. Landgrover, Media Coordinator
Mrs. Truitt, Media Assistant
Manners in the
By your friendly Hominy
Valley Elementary School
Entering and Exiting
• Please enter quietly.
• Please exit quietly.
• This is not the gym!
• Do not run in or out!
During your visit
If you did not return your book, you may:
(1) Sit quietly on the sofa and read.
(2) Help another friend find a book.
(3) Go to the checkers table and quietly play
checkers or work on a puzzle.
(4) Make a book wish list on Destiny for
(5) You may NOT play games on the
• You may NOT check out when the librarian or
assistant is not here!!
• You must form a line and be nice to each
other in line.
• You may not run up to the checkout desk.
• Once you are checked out, sit quietly and
• Share your book with a friend, especially one
who is not able to get a book.
• The library is a quiet, learning
environment, not a playground!
• Respect those around you because you
don’t know if they are testing, reading,
• This is YOUR library- take care of it!
The Media Center
• Curriculum support and research opportunities
• A Web site to support online research
• Computers and Technology
• Digital Cameras, Camcorders-Must be used
with teacher supervision.
available to students:
• Microsoft Office (NOT Works)
Excel, PowerPoint, Access
Be a STAR and READ
• S earch smartly. • R eturn books on time.
• T alk quietly. • E verything has a place.
• A lways listen. • A lways share.
• R espect books and • D on’t disturb others.
Media Center Rules
• Do not run in and out.
• Be a good listener.
• Raise your hand to speak.
Other Media Center
• Line up at the check in/out desk.
• Respect the books and your classmates.
Sorry! We don’t
like bugs! Food and
drinks are not
allowed in the
Media Center Rules
• Remember other students and
teachers are in the media center. Do
not talk in a loud voice.
• Please put books you are checking in
on the cart at the circulation desk.
Mrs. Truitt will shelve them for you.
• Easy books are fiction books that are
easier to read.
• They are shelved by the author’s last
– Ada Shelved as E ADA
• Means fake or made up.
• Not True.
• Fiction books are alphabetized by the
author’s last name.
– Judy Blume – shelved as FIC BLU
• Means not fake.
• Books about real things.
• Also fairy tales and folk tales.
• Shelved by Dewey Decimal number:
– Subject number and author’s name.
• Books are checked out for 1 week.
• K-2 are allowed to check out 1 book.
• 3-5 are allowed to check out 2 books.
• Teachers will sometimes request for
students to check out more books.
• Please return items to the book carts
located at the Circulation desk
Where to go if you need
Mrs. Landgrover – Media Coordinator
Mrs. Truitt- Media Assistant