Architektur und die Stadt:
Chicago Trivia - was wissen Sie?
Why is Chicago called the “Windy City”?
• The city is famous for sailing.
• The weather can be quite cool
• The city was once governed by
questionable politicians who
tended to exaggerate.
Why did the World’s Columbian Exposition in
1893 take place in Chicago?
• The discovery of America was
• The citizens wanted to show the world
that it could invest in Chicago again
after the great fire.
• An extravagant event was planned for
visitors from Colombia.
Which material does not burn,
bend, or melt?
b. Terra Cotta
Why did so many artists, who worked for the
Bauhaus School come to the United States?
• The National Socialists objected
to their socialist tendencies and
closed the school in 1933.
• The artists wanted to spread
their theories around the world.
• The Bauhaus had actually
originated at Black Mountain
College in North Carolina.
House or Skyscraper?
Would you rather live in a skyscraper in Chicago after
you graduate or in a house in Evanston? When you
are 35 years old?
SKYSCRAPER • HOUSE
What are advantages or disadvantages?
Which building appeals to you most? Why?
A. B. C.
*From which century are they?
*What could their function be?
*If you inherited B, what would you do with it?
Favourite Building on Campus:
a. Kresge Hall
b. University Hall
c. University Library
d. Deering Library
• Is architecture art? Yes/No
• Is a mixture of modern and historical effective
(German Reichstag)? Yes/No