RCE_Gathering_Nov_23_2007_Minutes.doc - RCE Saskatchewan

Document Sample
RCE_Gathering_Nov_23_2007_Minutes.doc - RCE Saskatchewan Powered By Docstoc
					                       RCE Gathering: AGENDA
               Friday, November 23, 2007 , 1:30-4:00 p.m.
           Luther College at the University of Regina, Room 100
Participants: Roger Petry (RCE Sask, Luther College at the University of Regina), Lyle
Benko (RCE Sask, L*A*M*B* Consulting), Heather Russell (Regina Car Share Co-op),
Carla Ballman (RCE Saskatchewan Chief Conference Organizer), Doug Morrison
(YouthBuild SK), Murray Bryck (Friends of Wascana and Saskatchewan Watershed
Authority), Ken Johnson (City of Saskatoon, RoadMap 2020), Curt Schroeder (SIAST),
Dale Weisbrot (Saskatchewan Agriculture and Food), Adrian Germain-Richards
(Saskatchewan Science Centre), Fidji Gendron (First Nations University of Canada),
Wayne Pepper (Nature Regina), Kim Dohms (Department of Biology, University of
Regina), Malin Hansen (Native Plant Society of Saskatchewan), Jill Forester (Health),
Glenn Hymers (Craik Sustainable Living Project), Glenn Sutter (RSM, SESDN), Peta
White (SOEEA), Kim Sare (City of Regina, Green Ribbon Committee), Billy Patterson
(RCE Saskatchewan Climate Change Student Researcher), Darryl Dormuth (NRC-
CSIR), Jessica Generoux (Regina EcoLiving), Paul Hart (University of Regina,
Conference call participants: Susan Kingsbury (Environment Canada), Brian Clavier,
Adrienne Germaine (Science Centre), Dwight Mercer, Marcia MacKenzie (University of

Notes taken by Carla Ballman

Original Meeting Agenda:

Larger Group Format:

      1:30 – 1:40 – Welcome and description of purpose of day

      1:40 – 1:50 – Possible goals of RCE conference and update from Environment Canada
       (Susan Kingsbury by speaker phone)

      1:50 – 2:35 – Input on goals and structure of May RCE Conference to meet RCE
       member needs. Discussion questions:
           o What goals do you see the RCE Conference achieving that would meet your
               needs in Education for Sustainable Development?
           o How might the event be structured to meet these goals (e.g. meeting our regional
               and inter-regional networking needs)?
           o Is there a possible keynote speaker that you would like to invite to this event?

      2:35 – 2:45 – Other updates
           o Billy Paterson (Student, U of R) – New interdisciplinary degree in Environmental
           o Elaine Sukava (Acting Director, TigerLily Education) – ESD activities in Prince

      2:45 – 3:00 – Break

Small Group Format:

      3:00 – 3:30 – Discussion questions for RCE theme areas (facilitated by Theme Area
       Working Group (TAWG) coordinators):
           o   Are their specific topics you would like to address in your theme area at the
               conference (especially those relating to the 2 overarching RCE themes) and how
               might these be addressed?
           o   What do you see as possible symbols that could be incorporated in an RCE Logo
               and award design that would represent our region and what we are trying to
               achieve through RCE Saskatchewan?
           o   What criteria would you see as important in evaluating projects for an RCE
               Saskatchewan award (either in general or specific to your theme area)?

Large Group Format:

      3:30 – 4:00 – Discussion of next steps with respect to conference planning

      4:00 – End of meeting

***Note: There will also be an advance demonstration and training on how to use
the RCE Saskatchewan website from 12:30 to 1:20 in Luther College Room 213. For
more information on this training event, please contact Curt Schroeder at
Susan Kingsbury – Environment Canada
November 9th RCE Montreal celebrated its official RCE designation, which means there
are now 4 RCEs in Canada. The announcement was made at lunch during the AC- ?
conference. Over five hundred attendees were present including city officials, RCE
Montreal representatives and the RCE Montreal team.

International Conference on Environmental Education in Ahmadabad, India, Nov 24-28.
A representative from the Canadian Embassy in New Delhi will be attending and Susan
prepared some speaking notes for her and was able to mention the upcoming RCE
conference in May which could help generate additional international interest in the

On November 13 there was a conference call between the RCEs to discuss what they
may like to see for the May RCE Conference. The other RCEs are very supportive of
the May Conference and have offered to assist with presenting, facilitation and other
aspects of the conference.

Some of the suggestions which came out of the conference call include the following:
Purpose: Clearly defined purpose
      -concrete deliverables that people can use.
      -maybe focus on strengthening RCEs, bring in other RCEs
      -MOU, common language, better understanding of SE

It may be best to find commonalities between RCEs such as Homelessness or Food
Banks and examine the issue to come up with an understanding through Sustainable

This may provide an opportunity to raise profile with the public and ensure a balanced

Clearly define the desired goals or outcomes of an issue or theme and the plans for the
conference will flow logically from it.

There are two days for the conference; additional suggestions to make it a success are
Combine working sessions with network, and share best practice
Incorporate tours
Panel, round table speakers

To build your capacity and regional and interregional networking RCEs in North, South
and Central America.

Roger Petry (RCE Sask) - A Keynote Speaker may be hired for the conference.

The May Conference also gives an opportunity to acknowledge and celebrate successes
by giving awards for the work researchers and groups are doing in province in ESD
around the 6 TAWGs.
Projects and initiatives should be evaluated on their educational component

Dale Weisbrot (Sask Agriculture and Food)
We may wish to explore Sustainable production w/n bands of RCE; Local food and
consumer side of orientation as a topic.

Billy Patterson (Environmental Action Network at University of Regina)
The RCE can help establish and form Environment Studies on U of R Campus
RCE transformation outcome or expectation
Identify key areas and issues of topics w/in the 6 RCE’s

Dwight Mercer
SUMA and SARM – municipal capacities
There are 10-12 groups of urban rural municipalities
Strategic planning for more sustainable communities would be very useful as
communities are making long term plans.

Saskatchewan Outdoor Environmental Education Association (S.O.E.E.A.)
      -provide field trips in SK likely on the Sunday before the conference.

Glenn Sutter (SESDN/RSM) - SESDN build capacity to build the Sask ESD Network.
There needs to be a clear distinction between RCE Sask and SESDN however it is
important to note that the groups are meant to be complimentary and not in competition.

The Doug Worts/Glenn Sutter Culture of Sustainability workshop was able to drive the
common needs for all RCEs at a cultural level. This may be a topic of interest for the

Kim Sare (City of Regina) – clarifying question. Is the purpose of the Conference to
advance RCE initiatives as RCE Sask or is it to converse/collaborate with other RCEs?

Conference call discussed a similar question

Proposed plan:
Day 1 – focus on our region and building capacity
Day 2 – Focus on global perspective of RCEs

This conference is modeling how we are a region within regions and is targeted at the
North, South and Central American RCEs.

Public awareness and media coverage helps to identify RCEs of Americas linking
grassroots organizations
This will help promote links between organizations.

Adrienne Germaine (Science Centre) – the Science Centre tries to educate children
and families. It would be nice if it was able to show the resources available for students,
families and teachers
It is nice to be able to showcase the organizations, so that people are aware of these

Marcia MacKenzie (U of S, School of Environmental Education) – Marcia works with
Janet McVittie and MJ Barrett for environmental education & sustainability in Education
Maureen Reid is head of the School of Environment and may have an interest in
environmental science and management.

Roger Petry (RCE Sask)

   1) What’s going on locally? Connect with people locally, on sustainability and
      sustainable development.
         a. What are the underlying questions that push and support the work?
         b. Ziole from Curitiba has suggested that each RCE bring posters of what is
             going on in their region to put up. We can have a template for posters or
             information to be submitted.
Structure of the Event?
What has worked well?
How can we meet your needs?

Glenn Sutter (RSM, SESDN) – It would be nice to host some events at the RSM, it
would be nice to have keynotes there and visitors can go through the footprint analysis
exhibit and the industrial worldview exhibit as a good way to think about other issues.

Curt Schroeder (SIAST) – a few formal education systems are involved in the
How can we green the curriculum & work together on educating for sustainable
SIAST is close to the conference site and is keen to be involved. They would be
interested in preconference showcase of SIAST’s initiatives at SIAST.

Paul Hart ( U of R , Education) - There have been many years spent on greening the
curriculum, science and technology is a plank of the curriculum. Sometimes it takes a
while to translate into the schools.
There is very little restructuring needed for sustainability related activities in the formal
school system. There should be a lot of support for this at all levels.
In the past UN conferences which have had a strong youth component have received a
fair bit of media attention.
There may be interest in participating from the students who have graduated from the
faculty of Education in the last ten years .
A youth forum could be integrated into the conference.

Doug Morrison (Youth Build) – They are the first affiliate of Youth Build USA, and they
are very excvited about working on this. Usually 15 – 34 year olds (folks older than this
are part of Youth Build Plus) are the target but they can reach down to younger people .
Youth Build is willing to help with the conference.

Lyle Benko (RCE Sask) – This conference is needed. The dates are specific due to
Youth Conference May 12th to 16th for Sustainability cubed, Meka with Communities of
Tomorrow is working on this event.

It’s important to know how to build these events into planning.

Dwight Mercer-
Fred Clipsham may be interested in the municipal sustainability of SUMA.
SUMA and SARM would have interest from the urban and rural municipalities.
Bill Wells is on the Sask School Board Trustees.

May be interested in terms of sustainable development

Others who may be of interest would be Louise Jones of RoadMap 2020, Wayne
Hellquist with the Regina Food Bank and Youth Build and Maureen Reid from U of S’s
School of Environment.

They are important entities for building capacity.

Dale Weisbrot (Sask Agriculture and Food)
Nature Saskatchewan has identified priority conservation areas, Dave Gaultier of the
University has been involved in the process. The May conference may provide an arena
to further identify these regions in the province and get an update on progress being
Wayne Pepper (Nature Sask & Environmental Consulting)
Regina Open Door Society may be able to learn something from the conference. They
are looking into doing a retrofit of their building complete with a green roof. International
contact may fit nicely.
Sustainability also involved economic sustainability we could include examples in case
studies that identify the economic side of sustainability.
People are reluctant to move forward if it costs a lot of money, but by showing case
studies this may make the benefits and risks more tangible.

Glenn Sutter (SESDN)
The Sask ESD Network will have an Action Framework, modelled on the Prairie Action
Conservation Plan) in place to attract people into the network and may direct funding to
ESD projects.
It will bring every one to the same table and can be used as a funding mechanism.

SESDN may launch their Action Framework around the May Conference.

Doug Morrison (Youth Build)
Youth Build has a Green Building initiative.
One of the projects with Carlton Trail Community Home Partnership initiative provides
homes for workers, it helps to drive the environmental social and economic side. This
could be a demonstration projects

Susan Kingsbury (EC)
The topic(s) chosen for the conference should make sense and address all three
aspects of Sustainability.

Elaine Sukava (Tigerlily Education)
TigerLily is focused on Prince Albert and the northern region of ESD in the province.
Elaine is also Coordinator of the Sask Organics Directorate Campaign. They are
developing ways and means of encouraging local and regional markets for fiber, and
food and to encourage young people to become involved in organic production. This is
influenced by Lorne Borgesson’s report on Going Organic.

Billy Patterson (Environmental Action Network at University of Regina)
Billy Patterson is with the U of R Environmental Action Network which is made up of Arts
students. The RCE would be able to help develop the new environmental studies
degree which currently has a proposed start date of 2009.
They are scouting expertise to build on the strengths that already exist within the
university and create new courses.
Faculty needs to list courses linked to environment

Working with Meka and Sustainability cubed topic of discussion to put experience into
The program would be done through the faculty of Arts or Sciences or both.
The group is also looking for student involvement to help shape this program.

For example, the non-renewable energy industry seems to be in competition with
sustainable development; however they seem to be able to influence educators.

To become involved in this initiative contact Billy Patterson 585-4303 Arts Students
Office or e-mail billypatterson@hotmail.com

Elaine Sukava (Tigerlily Education)
In the Prince Albert region there are quite a few ESD initiatives. Tigerlily is based in
traditional environmental knowledge and works with community groups who are working
on ESD in the hopes of engaging young people and the community schools.

Elaine would like to know how to work with the Sask ESD Network and RCE

Roger Petry (RCE Sask) – RCE Saskatchewan has a different structure and was just
recognized as an RCE by the UN in March of 2007.There are 6 TAWGS which were
decided based on what people were working on and researching in the corridor. It
allows RCE Saskatchewan to network as a region and internationally.

Technology group is needed to allow the RCE to network with international RCEs,
whereas the RCE Facilitation group ensures the working groups have the resources they
need to do their work.

With funds from Saskatchewan Environment’s Green Initiatives Fund there was enough
funding to hire a chief conference organizer, namely Carla Ballman, as well as student
researchers for each of the TAWGS.

RCE Saskatchewan is looking for members from across the region, there are also folks
who may have a general interest in structural aspects of the group or the cross cutting
themes. They would be a part of the Facilitation Group.

RCE is made up of volunteers and has a very light structure.
The RCE is in place to help build capacity and should not duplicate work or resources
away from its partners.

Glenn Hymers (CSLP) – Craik Sustainable Living Project is involved because they are
a part of the corridor. The group is primarily involved in hosting groups at their
demonstration project, the Craik Eco-Center and is involved in how the community is
involved in structuring itself. But is that Education for or about Sustainable

Paul Hart (U of R, Education) – The fundamental difference in Education for
Sustainable Development versus about sustainable development is participation.

Education for Sustainable Development is about convincing people to change.
Education about Sustainable Development is talking about the issues but with no real
opportunity to do something. They are not mutually exclusive, but there must be some
engaging which leads to commitment to immediate visible, tangible results. Working
towards an action.
Engage folks & providing the tools that allow them to see not just how, but why.

              Sustainable Infrastructure Including Water and Energy
                              Small Group Discussion
                      RCE SK Gathering, November 23, 2007
1. Small Group Participants:

Doug Morrison (YouthBuild SK), Murray Bryck (Friends of Wascana and Saskatchewan
Watershed Authority), Ken Johnson (City of Saskatoon, RoadMap 2020), Curt Schroeder
(SIAST), Roger Petry (Luther College at the University of Regina)

Facilitated and notes taken by Roger Petry

2. Responses to Small Group Discussion Questions (questions in bold)

Are their specific topics you would like to address in your theme area at the
conference (especially those relating to the 2 overarching RCE themes) and how
might these be addressed?

       working to provide affordable green housing for workers in local industries
        (working with Carlton Trail Regional Economic Development Authority
       Key issue of working to build affordable infrastructure for rural communities
        (both housing and issue of waste); challenge of the overall costs of infrastructure
        (e.g., $50,000/serviced lot in Humboldt); examine ways of reducing costs,
        especially by green design (e.g. not tied to the grid and reducing ecological

     currently leading development of a new water strategy: an “Integrated Water
      Management Framework” with the Federal Government, SUMA, SARM, NGO's,
      Associations, and Scientific Community
     Role with education in shifting from “supply management to demand
      management”; this is a shift that is occurring around the world given the
      dynamics around water management
     Murray noted that he works with the head of policy at the Saskatchewan
      Watershed Authority who could provide a speaker for our conference on this topic
      and would provide a good learning opportunity
     Change in emphasis on how buildings and other infrastructure are managed: e.g.
      an integrative approach to building dams that creates wetlands at the same time
      and incorporates sustainable infrastructure

       Also looking at demand side management for energy and water and smart growth
        (e.g. increasing urban density with infill housing); how to increase density and
        meet demand with existing infrastructure; also issue of changing usage in areas
        (e.g. industrial/commercial in residential areas)
       Education playing a key component in demand side management (along with
        issues of materials and energy use)

       Personal interest in:
         (1) use of energy by individual residents and collectively, i.e., interest in built
         environment and shifting from electricity generation reliance on coal to other
         sources and ways of creating energy
         (2) making communities more livable, e.g., concept of a walkable community
         (and wondering if existing development in the south end of Regina is meeting
         these needs); need for sustainable infrastructure and smart growth to enable short
         walks to destinations

        Interest in multi-functional productive assets (e.g. integrative buildings that serve
         both as homes and places of work with multiple purposes such as energy
         generation, waste recycling, heating, cooking (solar ovens)--”Housing that works
         for people”) as well as use of modular design in building to accommodate multi-
         use building
        Participants noted examples of model buildings in RCE region, e.g. Factor 9
         house in Regina, Robert Dumont and Saskatoon project that could be profiled

What do you see as possible symbols that could be incorporated in an RCE Logo
and award design that would represent our region and what we are trying to
achieve through RCE Saskatchewan?

        Should seek to capture the 3 pillars of sustainable development: social,
         environmental, and economic in logo
        Include cultural dimensions especially First Nations and First Nations University
         of Canada
        Stay away from broad generalities but emphasize local challenges in logo (e.g.
         impacts of climate on prairies with extreme temperature variation: “we use both
         sides of the thermometer”)
        Should include the importance of youth
        Should show a link between people and their natural environment (i.e. land, air,
         and water) as a basis for sustenance
        “Linking” is a key word for the logo; might choose to use notion of a

What criteria would you see as important in evaluating projects for an RCE
Saskatchewan award (either in general or specific to your theme area)?

        Level of community involvement is important (e.g. watershed plans being
         developed for 29 areas now have been completed in 7 areas and have been
         developed with strong community participation and communities owning the
        Showcase results/accomplishments though these don't need to be world shattering
         results (e.g. local best management practices for land and implementing
         safeguards); projects should provide an impetus for people to be involved
        Focus on projects that deliver results which presumably includes having measures
         of success (e.g. Craik Susainable Living Project and the baselining of resource
         usage and subsequently measuring results with respect to these baselines)
        Focus on excellence in education with categories for each of the three areas of
         education (formal, non-formal, and informal education)
        Another award category should include excellence in curriculum design in post-
       secondary institutions or other innovations in education (e.g. professors with
       innovation in teaching)
      include a student research award as well as a separate youth category distinct
       from research

                     Reconnecting to Natural Prairie Ecosystems
                              Small Group Discussion
                      RCE SK Gathering, November 23, 2007

1. Small Group Participants:

Dale Weisbrot (Saskatchewan Agriculture and Food), Adrian Germain-Richards
(Saskatchewan Science Centre), Fidji Gendron (First Nations University of Canada),
Wayne Pepper (Nature Regina), Kim Dohms (Department of Biology, University of
Regina), Malin Hansen (Native Plant Society of Saskatchewan).

Facilitated and notes taken by Malin Hansen (TAWG coordinator).

2. Responses to Small Group Discussion Questions (questions in bold)

Are there specific topics you would like to address in your theme area at the
conference (especially those relating to the 2 overarching RCE themes) and how
might these be addressed?

The “Reconnecting to Natural Prairie Ecosystems” TAWG will be working on a native
prairie project inventory during the winter. The idea is to make an on-line interactive map
where relevant initiatives, education facilities, sites and research projects in
Saskatchewan are represented. The interactive map would make a great presentation at
the conference and could be presented either as a lecture style presentation or as a hands-
on workshop.

Adrian: Wild Saskatchewan, a new permanent exhibition at the Saskatchewan Science
Centre could be listed on the map. The exhibit provides a hands-on education facility on
reconnecting to natural prairie and gives people an opportunity to explore Wascana
Marsh through web cameras, also called “web feet cams”. The interactive map, when
completed, would also be a very valuable addition to the exhibition.

Fidji: First Nations University of Canada’s native prairie area is located on the
University of Regina campus and would be a demonstration of native prairie that could
easily be accessed by conference participants during the conference. Short field trips
could be held for people with an interest in plant species (forbs, grasses and shrubs)
native to Saskatchewan as well as the traditional use of these plants.

Wayne: We should give conference participants the opportunity to register for pre- and
post-conference field trips that could be held outside Regina. This would especially
benefit the Reconnecting to Natural Prairie Ecosystems TAWG since many sites where
one can learn about native prairie are quite far from Regina, such as Grasslands National
Park, Hidden Valley etc. Also, pre- and post-conference field trips may also be
interesting for people who are interested in visiting the Eco Centre in Craik and organic
farms etc.

Kim: As student researcher for the Reconnecting to Natural Prairie Ecosystems TAWG,
Kim will start to gather information for the interactive map. Kim and Malin will meet
with Curt to look into how the interactive map can be designed and linked to the RCE

What do you see as possible symbols that could be incorporated in an RCE Logo
and award design that would represent our region and what we are trying to
achieve through RCE Saskatchewan?

The Saskatchewan RCE logo could include a link to each TAWG. For example, the
“Reconnecting to Natural Prairie Ecosystem” TAWG could be represented by the
illustration of the provincial grass, i.e. Needle and Thread Grass (Stipa comata). If
representation from each TAWG would make the logo too cluttered, we could focus on
something simple that represents Saskatchewan, such as an open prairie landscape, sun,
big sky, importance of water, agriculture…

Fidji: I liked what Adrian said. She talked about an organization that has a general logo
with several logos for each of their subgroups. Like ours could be the letters RCE with
the needle and thread grass. Other areas could have the letters RCE with something that
illustrates Global Warming (or whatever their theme area is).

Malin: I just had a quick look on-line to see if I could find logos of other RCEs to get
some inspiration, but it does not seem as if any other RCEs have logos yet. Does anyone
know of an RCE with a logo?

What criteria would you see as important in evaluating projects for an RCE
Saskatchewan award (either in general or specific to your theme area)?

We did not have much time to discuss this!

      Volunteering (people who are motivated enough to work for an improvement of
       their community in their pastime should be rewarded!)
      Projects that contribute to concrete improvements of a community that benefit a
       large number of people should be rewarded.
      People or organizations that contribute significantly to preserving or restoring
       natural ecosystems that also include a significant conservation message about the
       work by involving local people.

                                Health and Culture
                              Small Group Discussion
                        RCE SK Gathering, November 23, 2007

1. Small Group Participants:
Jill Forester (Health – and had to leave), Glenn Hymers (Craik - had to leave), Glenn
Sutter (RSM), Peta White (SOEEA)

Notes taken by Peta White

Discussion about how Health and Environmental Education is linked in European
countries. This seemed like a great idea to bring some aspects of personal health and

Potential keynote speakers
Glenn: Thomas Homer Dixon – Director of Trudeau Centre for Peace Studies
       Deborah Winter – ecological psychology (Glenn has met her and thinks she is
Peta: David Orr
       Chuck Hopkins
       European Environmental and Health Education speaker (Dr. Paul Hart will know
whom is best)
Possibly all of the above as a panel – presenting around a nice pithy question….

Topics to address
Assessment: how do we “determine” what is/is not ESD (are we really focusing on
       Formal education – big “assessment/evaluation” questions

Current cultural needs

SOEEA: wants to provide an environmental and outdoor education focus to this

Health: links to environmental health (European process)

Health: different perspectives (indigenous knowledge, alternative perspectives). Health
receives 50% of the Canadian budget annually…?

Climate Change TAWG - Small Group Minutes -- Nov.23 / 2007
Small Group Format:

- Introductions:
   -Kim Sare (Facilitator/Coordinator), Billy Patterson (student researcher), Carla Ballman (RCE
conference coordinator), Heather Russell (Regina car co-op), Daryl Dormuth (NRC), Lyle Benko

(Minutes/transcript taken by Billy Patterson with minor additions by Carla Ballman)

- Climate Change Education in Saskatchewan
   - working to inform elementary and high school students about climate change
   - also working to inform within schools, private-interest groups (from
uranium/nuclear/pharmaceutical industry)
      - these private groups have a profit-motivated interest in delaying action on climate
change, and have so far been successful in their enterprise (Billy Patterson)

- Should we have climate change focus at conference?
- Clean-air Toronto representative as a possible keynote speaker (Daryl)

- Pursuing particular topics within climate change

- Networking with other groups in regards to climate change

- Saskatchewan focus --> (Daryl) Water Resources

- Themes; homelessness, etc. (Kim)
   - Approach of what we've got

- UNU (United Nations University) site, our RCE, list of subthemes...
   -what other RCE's are doing

II) "Possible symbols that could be incorporated in our RCE logo"
   -SK, education, tree, action, recycle, research, challenges, action
   -tree; half healthy - half dying ... which side do you want?
      -smog cloud on dying side, sun shining on healthy (interpretation of Billy's sketch)
   -adapting the recycling symbol to show social, cultural, environmental, economic (3 areas of
SD, plus culture)

III) "Criteria important in SK award"
   - what have they done (not just reports published)
      -ACTION they've done
      - mitigation and adaptation
   - Indian Band in Northern SK, wind turbine initiative
   - Unit for sustainability (education SK?)
   - Energy and Climate Change policy
      - K- 12 curriculum
      - Green strategy/initiative
         - ch.4 green initiative is EDUCATION
   - Education; start out with message which leads to Action

  (educational model)
   MESSAGE --> AWARENESS --> ACTION = Education

                          Local Food/Sustainable Agriculture Group
                                   Small Group Discussion
                       RCE SK Gathering, November 23, 2007

1. Small Group Participants:
Elaine Sukava, Rob Barber and Daryl Hepting.
Facilitated and notes taken by Daryl Hepting (TAWG coordinator).

2. Responses to Small Group Discussion Questions (questions in bold)

Are there specific topics you would like to address in your theme area at the
conference (especially those relating to the 2 overarching RCE themes) and how
might these be addressed?

We talked about coordinating with other groups:
- Back to the Farm Research
- Association of Canadian Community Colleges
- etc.

We should consider (as initiatives):
- connection with other groups' work (their initiatives) [including examining
  what the Canadian Federation of Independent Business has in mind with its
  "Achieving Eco-Prosperity" report]
- define what is "good" local food: coal-fired greenhouse-grown bananas?
- consider transportation issues and look at optimization
- look at food as an integral part of sustainable communities
- NEED to include water in our discussions
- examine example of Cuba - how it coped (and now thrives?) on organic agriculture after
removal of cheap Russian agro-chemicals
- define what are the best practices for a foodshed, or how to measure them.

Shared By: