In Season ME FA L L
RIN G UM R
NUTRIENTS IN STRAWBERRIES: QUICK FIX TIPS:
Vitamins: C and folate and antioxidants.
• Dip fresh berries in melted chocolate
SELECTION: for a special treat.
Choose shiny, firm strawberries with a • Top angel food cake with sliced
bright red color. Caps should be fresh, berries and low-fat vanilla ice cream.
green, and intact. Avoid shriveled,
mushy, or leaky berries. • Freeze whole strawberries, grapes,
and bananas. Blend with orange
STORAGE: juice, adding just enough to make a
Do not wash strawberries until ready to frozen puree. Garnish with a mint
eat. Store in refrigerator for 1-3 days. leaf and serve.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Preparation:
Serves: 4 1. Place banana in a medium bowl
Cups of Fruits and and mash with a fork.
2. Add pancake mix and water; stir Nutritional Information
Vegetables per Serving: ½ per Serving:
Ingredients: 3. Spray a large skillet with non-stick Calories:197; Total Fat:1.8g;
• 1 large banana, peeled and sliced cooking spray over MEDIUM heat. Dietary Fiber:3g; Sodium:397mg
• 1 cup complete pancake mix 4. Pour ¼ cup batter for each pan- Recipe is courtesy of Produce for
• ½ cup water cake into hot skillet. Better Health Foundation (PBH).
• nonstick cooking spray 5. Cook pancakes for about 2 minutes
• 1½ cups frozen strawberries per side or until cooked through.
(unsweetened) 6. Place berries in a small bowl
• 2 tbsp strawberry jam with jam and microwave on
HIGH for 1 minute.
7. Stir, then cook for 1 minute more.
8. Spoon topping over pancakes. fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org
Your Logo Here