Welcome to El Carmelo
• Chuck Merritt – Principal
• Leslie Bell - Librarian
• Maria Derrick– PTA President
• Tais Schmitt – PTA Exec. Vice President
• Alli Wong, Suzy Kim and Faiza Zarroug
– PIE reps
Look for at El Carmelo
• Website: elcarmelo.pausd.org
• Technology: new Smartboards last April
• Second Step character education curriculum
• Junior SafetyPatrol for 5th graders
• (3-5 grade) Fall Play – info meeting 9/9 at lunch
We recycle, too
Main Office Staff
Ginny Nagao Chuck Merritt Jennifer Fernandez
Data Clerk Principal Secretary
School Starts at 8:25
Please make every effort to be on time!
Tardiness is disruptive
Late - check in at the office before coming to class
After 8:25 the classrooms and hallways are “instructional quiet
If communication with the teacher is necessary:
Leave a note
Telephone after school
If your child will not be attending school for any
reason you must report it to the front office by
Phone call: 856-0960 or
signs to stay home - cough, runny nose, headache or
nausea / fever (24 hours fever free before
returning to school)
Field Trip Info
Parents must sign a permission slip for each trip
Parent drivers needed!
Volunteer drivers must supply office with copy of:
our school form
Thank you for driving!
Parent Teacher Association
• 1. PTA and PiE working together
• Stuff vs Staff
• 2. PTA: Who we are?
• Parents AND Teachers - YOU
• 3. PTA: What we do?
• Classroom Support
• Community Building
Parent Teacher Association
• How can you help?
• LOTS of Volunteers
• THANK YOU FOR YOUR GENEROUS
DONATIONS OF TIME AND RESOURCES!
What is PiE?
PiE is…Our Education Foundation
• PiE is the only fundraising organization that funds
additional teachers and staff at all PAUSD schools
• Since 2005, PiE has granted over $15 million to PAUSD
• Most recent gift was for $3.4 million in April 2011
• Public financing alone can no longer provide the high
quality education we expect in our community.
PiE has helped alleviate the effect of state cuts and
preserve critical staff and important programs
What does PiE fund?
aides and instructional assistants who
support and enrich all students’ learning.
Jr. Museum and Zoo program helps
science “come alive” for students
through hands-on units
trained staff who teach Spectra
Art and high quality creative
PAUSD vs other local
PAUSD Donation Request - $800/child
•San Carlos: $1,000/child
•Mtn. View High School: $1,000/child
•Los Altos: $1,200 per child
•Menlo Park: $1,500 per child
•Las Lomitas: $2,000 per child
At Our School
• El Carmelo is designated to receive over $127K (pre-
11th day enrollment) for our site funds
• PiE funds will cover:
• 100% of Classroom Aide Costs
• 75% of Spectra Art Program Costs
• 100% of Junior Museum & Zoo Program Costs
How Can I Donate?
• Back to School Challenge Grant
• Your PiE donation can be matched—dollar for dollar— if you
donate $800 or more per child up to $200,000 total for PiE
• Through September 16, 2011
• Visit www.papie.org/donate
• Mail in a check
• Donation envelopes and drop-box available in the school
• Ask about Corporate Matching Gifts
• Fantastic gala party/auction/general fun time!
• Amy Love: our auction coordinator
• March 10
• Last year raised $45k for PTA events
• Win a ticket to the auction!