Study Abroad

Document Sample
Study Abroad Powered By Docstoc
					       International Student Centre

           Study Abroad 101

Going Abroad: What, Where, When, Why, How

         International Student Centre
        275 MacEwan Student Centre
               Tel: 403-220-5581
              Fax: 403-289-4409

Table of Contents
  Internationalization                                         page 3
  Study Abroad 101                                             page 3
  International Student Centre                                 page 3
  What Am I Getting Myself Into                                page 4
  Skills That Make A Difference                                page 7
  Study Abroad Issues                                          page 8
  Education Abroad                                             page 9
      Study Abroad – U of C Options                            page 10
          • Exchanges                                          page 10
          • Spring/Summer Field Schools                        page 12
          • Term Abroad Programs                               page 12
      Study Abroad – Non-U of C Options                        page 13
          • Programs Through Other Institutions                page 13
          • Direct Registration/Visiting Student               page 13
          • Resources for Finding Individual Programs          page 13
      Sources of Funding                                       page 14
  Non Study Options                                            page 14
      Working Abroad                                           page 14
      Volunteering Overseas                                    page 15
  Next Steps                                                   page 15
  Preparation To Go Abroad                                     page 16
  What is a Letter of Permission                               page 16
  Sample Letter of Permission                                  page 17

Main offices involved in international programs:
   International Student Centre (MSC 275)
   Student exchanges, Term Abroad Programs, General Study Abroad,
   Work/Volunteer Overseas Resources
    - Glynn Hunter, Director
    - Madelyn Bradley, International Student Advisor
    - Study Abroad Advisor
    - Fazeela Kayyum, Administrative Assistant

   Credit Travel Study Office (MSC 275)
   Field Schools
    - Catherine Fisher, Administrative Coordinator

The U of C is committed to the “internationalization” of the campus. This includes faculty
involvement in research collaboration abroad, international faculty, study abroad, work
or volunteer overseas and opportunities on campus to gain an international perspective.

Students are encouraged to spend part of their degree program abroad or, if unable to
leave, to include courses or activities on campus which promote international
understanding and awareness.

   Study Abroad 101

Throughout the year, the ISC offers a 45-minute session on overseas options as well as
the “do’s and don’ts” of going abroad. We provide a framework of opportunities and
answer some basic questions about going overseas.

   The International Student Centre
The ISC works to provide Canadians with opportunities and information on Education
Abroad activities (including study abroad, volunteer organizations and overseas work
opportunities). We also provide support services for international students related to
their adjustment to the U of C and to Canada and a variety of programs that act as
“bridges” between Canadians and international students.

   Programs for Canadians:
   ♦ Resource library on overseas options
   ♦ Student exchanges & study abroad options
   ♦ Departure orientations
   ♦ Re-entry workshops
   ♦ Workshops on working abroad
   ♦ Support to assist students in setting up their own study program
   ♦ Student Advisors
   ♦ Exchange Student Handbook for outgoing students

   Programs for International Students:
   ♦ International Student Handbook for new International Students
   ♦ Airport pickup for new students at first of each term
   ♦ International Student Orientation: full day workshop
   ♦ Day trips to local points of interest
   ♦ Regular email updates
   ♦ Transition workshops
   ♦ Student Advisors
   ♦ Emergency Loans

   Programs for Canadians & International Students
   ♦ Global Friends: social events for International and Canadian students
   ♦ Language Bank: learn or practice a language with a native speaker
   ♦ The International Student Centre’s annual International Jeopardy and Photo
   ♦ Volunteer on campus
   ♦ Web Page and links:
     • Canadians Going Abroad: U of C Exchanges, Term Abroad Programs, Credit
       Travel Study, Other Study Options, Volunteer Abroad, Work Abroad, Teaching
       English Abroad, Departure Orientation, Risk & Safety.
     • Prospective International Students, Admitted International Students
     • Funding: Funding for Post Secondary Study, Resources on the Web,
       Directories of Scholarships & Awards, Institutions Offering Grants, Scholarships
       or Awards for the U of C.

   Services/Resources for staff
   ♦ Advising on immigration issues
   ♦ Sessions on cross-cultural communication
   ♦ Advising on study abroad policies/procedures

   What Am I Getting Myself Into?
The motivation in going abroad varies from one person to another. It may be a wish for
adventure, increased career opportunities, the ability to earn more money abroad than
at home or the desire to learn a language or experience another culture.

What is your motivation? What do you hope to accomplish/experience by going abroad?

Some common objectives for people going abroad are to…
   add breadth to their academic program.       learn another language.
   advance professionally / job prospects.      follow family or friends who have been
   take on the challenge of studying            abroad.
   abroad.                                      get away from Canada.
   make money abroad while travelling.          escape a personal/professional issue.
   expand their experiences.                    hopefully gain some direction.
   travel to exotic, foreign places.            establish independence/self-reliance.
Are there any issues listed above that you were surprised to see? Are there any that
you are unwilling to recognize as possible motivators for you? Everyone has a wide mix
of emotions and reasons for going abroad and some of these may not be too
comfortable for you but they will influence the experience you have. Be honest with
yourself about why you are going abroad and deal with those issues now. If you wait
until you are abroad, they will not improve.

When did you first consider going abroad? Did you meet someone who had been
overseas, read an article or see some news reports? What was said that attracted you
to the idea of going abroad?

Have you thought about the country where you would like to go? What is there about
that area which attracts you? Have you done any reading or research about this region?
What do you know about the country?

What are some of the challenges you would expect to encounter abroad? Are there
some things that cause you some concern?

What are your expectations in going abroad? This is not an easy question to answer.
Consider what is it you want to be able to do or what skills you want to gain at the end
of 1 year, 2 years, 3 years?

How will this experience enhance your academic career or personal expectations? Is
your decision to go abroad a choice towards a career? Are there specific experiences or
cultural issues you would want to highlight?

Is it important for you to complete your university degree within a specific time or do you
have some flexibility? Would you be able to extend your program for an extra term or
year of study? Would it be of interest to you to take a double degree or a Co-Op?

   Some years ago, Stanford University produced a list of things which bother
   people going abroad:

♦ Language Barriers: If you are living in a country where English is not widely spoken
  and you are unfamiliar with the local language, you may feel isolated and alone for
  some time. This will affect your ability to get to know people on more than a
  superficial level.
♦ Lack of Mobility: Many countries have more restrictions on freedom of movement
  than we are used to. In some cases, travel may be difficult due to a lack of
  infrastructure (trains, busses, etc.) or cost.
♦ Indirectness: Most N. Americans consider themselves to be direct in confronting
  issues or problems. This is not the case in many countries where conflict is avoided.
♦ Degree of Perceived Formality, Protocols or Rank: We consider ourselves a fairly
  informal, equal society but this may be at odds with how things are done abroad.
♦ Slow Pace of Life: In some cases, the pace of life will be much faster than in
  Calgary, while in other countries, things move much more slowly. There may also be
  issues with getting through bureaucracy and dealing with officials, which will take
  some time (and a lot of patience) getting used to.
♦ Social Customs / Expectations: You will experience culture shock to some degree,
  everyone does. This happens due to a lack of ability to communicate, not having
  familiar customs or events take place, differences in language, religion, etc. Expect
  this and accept that it will happen.
♦ Alcohol & Drug Issues: Under stress or pressure, some people begin drinking
  more than they normally would or they take prescription and non-prescription drugs
  to deal with change. There may be an easy availability of drugs, however many
  countries have much more punitive laws to deal with even simple possession.
♦ Health Problems: Make sure you are healthy enough to stand some stress. Small
  problems may become major issues abroad.
♦ Emotional Instability: If you are running away from something at home, sometimes
  going abroad will only magnify the problem. Make certain you are sure about this
  decision and set up a support system for yourself while you are away - regular calls
  letters, emails, etc.
♦ Lack of Conveniences: Some of these may include lack of hot water, central
  heating, familiar food, etc. However in many countries, you may not experience any
  inconvenience, as there will be many facilities available.
♦ Family Problems: Being away from home or family may have an effect on people
  going abroad. However, having family with you can also cause strains as they are
  going through changes in their environment as well.

What are some personal coping systems that you have which would be of assistance to
you if you were to go abroad? How do you deal with stressful situations?

Are there any issues that have come up for you that you are going to have to work on?
   Skills That Make A Difference (Adapted from “Survival Kit for
   Overseas Living” by L. Robert Kohls)

There are a number of skills, competencies or qualities which you may have that assist
in a quicker, smoother adjustment to a new culture. Think about some of the different
skills (attitudes, ways of responding to situations & styles of behaviour) that you think
might be useful to help you adjust to an overseas situation.

Experience shows the following qualities to be the most important:

  Flexibility / tolerance for ambiguity            Motivation
  Low goal / task orientation                      Self reliance
  Open mindedness                                  Strong sense of self
  Non-judgmental attitude                          Tolerance for differences
  Empathy                                          Perceptiveness
  Communicativeness                                Ability to fail
  Flexibility / adaptability                       Sensitivity
  Curiosity                                        Patience
  Sense of humour                                  Energy and good health
  Warmth in human relations

For each of these items listed above, rate yourself as to whether you possess this
skill/trait. 1=low and 5=high.

Total your score. If you have less than 55, this might indicate that you have some
thinking to do and some things to work on in preparation for going abroad.

What are the five skills/traits/qualities, which you think are most important?

Experience has shown that the three most important skills/traits/qualities for people
going abroad to have are:

      Sense of humour
      Low goal / task orientation
      Ability to fail

   Study Abroad: Issues

      The reality is that studying overseas will be more expensive than staying home,
      but it should not be too much more than living off campus in Calgary plus travel
      costs. The cost of one semester abroad will probably be about $7,000 - $9,000 or
      $14,000 for two terms (this includes tuition, supplies, living expenses, travel, and
      personal spending).

      Do you require a Student Loan? U of C study abroad programs allow you to
      remain registered at the U of C and collect awards & loans.

     Do you speak another language? Is it required for the site at which you wish to
     study? There are some sites in non-English-speaking countries with a selection
     of courses that are taught in English. Check out all your options.

     Names and numbers of courses taken at other institutions may or may not
     appear on your U of C transcripts (i.e. Poli363). Instead, transfer courses would
     appear as “Sr. Political Science” – “Credit” or “Pass”. Grades will not appear on
     your U of C transcript either, however if you fail a subject it does appear as a
     “Fail” on the U of C transcript.

      The more “option” courses you have available, the easier it is to receive credit for
      courses taken abroad. Be flexible.

      Grading systems and class expectations abroad may be different from those at
      the U of C. Be open to new methods of teaching and learning. There may be
      differences in the way you interact with professors at foreign institutions and they
      will certainly have their own method of evaluation.

      The U of C normally requires students to complete at least 50% of their degree
      with U of C courses. Please check with your faculty for any specific requirements.
      If you already have transfer courses from another institution, you might have too
      many in total and courses taken abroad would be extra to your degree.

      Most students go abroad during their third or fourth year, although it may be
      possible to go abroad after one year at the U of C. There are some advantages
      to going in your third year as this allows you to return to the U of C and finish any
      program requirements you need. Other students prefer to go abroad in their final
      year after they’ve completed all their required courses, when they can take
      mostly option courses. The choice of when you go should be made after talking
      with an Academic Advisor.

      * Don’t forget to obtain a Letter of Permission BEFORE leaving Calgary. *

   Education Abroad
Education abroad is a term that refers to an overseas experience taken during a
student’s academic program, whether or not they are receiving course credit. This
includes study abroad or overseas work and volunteer experience.

Exchanges            Term Abroad              Credit Travel Study     Other Programs
                     Pay U of C tuition       Pay U of C tuition      Pay tuition and
Pay U of C tuition   and fees as well as      and fees as well as a   fees to host
and fees. Remain     a Program Fee.           Program Fee.            institution at the
registered as a U of Remain registered        Remain registered at    rates assessed by
C student.           at the U of C.           the U of C.             that institution.

Courses taken
abroad are             Classes are U of C     Classes are U of C      Transfer credit
recognized as          courses taught by      courses taught by U     may be awarded
transfer credit        professors at the      of C professors         for completed
courses to a U of C    host institution.      abroad.                 courses.
degree program.
                       U of C course          U of C course names     Students must
Students must          names and grades       and grades appear       have a Letter of
have a Letter of       appear on student      on student              Permission from
Permission from        transcripts.           transcripts.            their Faculty.
their Faculty.
                       China/India are
An individual          group experiences,     A group experience.     An individual
experience but the     travelling with a U    Travel with a           experience.
host university will   of C Academic          professor from the U
have advisors to       Coordinator. The       of C.                   You decide where
assist you.            Czech Republic is                              you want to go
                       an individual          Travel and              and when.
                       experience. The        accommodation
                       host university has    arrangements are
                       a support office to    made by the U of C.
                       assist students.
Remain eligible for    Remain eligible for    Remain eligible for
Student Loans,         Student Loans,         student loans.          Remain eligible
awards and             awards and             Program has a           for Student
scholarships.          scholarships.          number of $400          Loans.
Go abroad for one      Programs are one       Programs are            Programs range
or two semesters       semester, similar to   approximately 3-6       in length from a
during the regular     the U of C             weeks, often during     month to a full
academic year.         academic year.         the Spring or           year.
                                              Summer sessions.

Study Abroad – U of C Options

   Student Exchanges
An exchange program is based on an agreement between the University of Calgary and
another institution to “exchange” students for a semester or a year. The student pays
tuition to their home university and is able to take classes abroad without being charged
foreign student tuition. Students are responsible for paying all other costs: travel, living
expenses, books, etc. Some exchange locations have a language of instruction other
than English. In this case, students must have at least an intermediate language level
before studying abroad.

       Students receive support from both the ISC and partner institutions with regards
       to registration, housing, immigration documents etc.
       Students receive credit towards their U of C program for courses taken abroad.
       Contact the ISC to discuss the application process - not all exchanges are
       administered through the ISC.

   ISC Exchanges:
In general, the ISC tries to look at the “whole” student in making selections for an
exchange, taking a number of items into consideration. GPA is important, and we
require a 2.7 (cumulative) GPA to consider an exchange. Some of our partner
institutions require a 3.0 and higher. We also look at academic, personal, work and
volunteer references, whether you have been involved in campus or community groups
and what your reasons are for going (academic fit and career objectives).

The ISC Application* consists of:

   ♦ The basic application form (available online)
   ♦ 2 letters of reference (academic required). These letters should be from
     professors with whom you’ve taken courses. One of the letters may be from a TA
     or high school teacher (if within 1 year) as we recognize some classes are quite
     large. It is the student’s responsibility to ensure the letters have been received by
     the ISC. The references are confidential and should be mailed directly to the ISC
     or handed to you in a sealed envelope with the Prof’s signature across the seal.
   ♦ A 500-word essay: a personal statement on who you are, why this is important
     for you, your career or academic plans, etc.
   ♦ Transcripts: a minimum of 2.70 (on a 4.0 scale) cumulative GPA is required.
     Some exchange sites require a 3.0 or higher. If you have attended another
     college or university, include transcripts from that institution. If all your post-
     secondary schooling has been at the U of C, we will obtain transcripts from the
     Registrar’s Office on your behalf.
   ♦ Work/volunteer references (optional)
   ♦ Study Site Sheets: preliminary course selections for each exchange site you
     choose based on the research you do in looking at the host institution’s Course
     Calendar and choosing courses.

You are encouraged to select more then one site as this improves your changes of
being placed on an exchange.

The deadline for Round 1 (for placements in the Fall or Winter Terms) is January 14th
2005. Late applications will be considered for subsequent rounds, space permitting.

There is a $150 Processing Fee for ISC exchanges. This is not an application fee. It is
paid after your nomination (after the interview) by the ISC and prior to your application
being sent abroad to our exchange partner.

A copy of your Letter of Permission must be given to the ISC prior to departure. This is
a standard form that lists the courses you plan to take and what credit will be awarded
for completion.

* Download the ISC Exchange Application

ISC Exchange Timelines:

   • Fall: Attend Study Abroad 101and research exchange sites using web sites or
       calendars. Check with your department/faculty to see whether an exchange can
       be credited to your degree - whether courses may transfer. You cannot receive a
       Letter of Permission until placement is confirmed.
   •   January 14, 2004: Round 1 applications are due in the ISC for Fall 2005 or
       Winter 2006 placements. Late applications will be considered if we are not able
       to fill all available places in Round 1.
   •   February - March: Interviews, Selection of students, Applications sent to partner
       institutions, Payment of processing fee.
   •   April - June: Confirmation of placements for Northern Hemisphere exchanges.
   •   August - October: Confirmation of placements for Southern Hemisphere
   •   September - October: Applications accepted for any remaining spaces for
       exchange placements in Winter 2006 Term.

   Department/Faculty Exchanges (Non-ISC Exchanges):
Exchanges administered by the ISC are open to students from any discipline at the
university. Some Departments and Faculties administer their own exchanges
specifically for majors in that discipline, including Chemistry, Community Rehabilitation,
Economics, Engineering, French, Haskayne School of Business, Law, Sciences, and
Social Science.

These units will have their own criteria for selecting students as well as their own
deadlines. The ISC has a list of available options, or you can check with the advisor in
your department.

   Credit Travel Study Field Schools
Credit Travel Study offers students alternate learning environments, international
experiences and exposure to diverse cultures while earning credit towards their degree.
Over the years, students have traveled to more than forty countries under the tutelage
of instructors from the University of Calgary. Programs vary from year to year and often
include instructors from abroad.

       Programs are typically between two and six weeks in duration
       Programs usually offer between two and four half credits from the University of
       Programs are primarily aimed at undergraduates with some of the courses
       offered at the graduate level
       Visiting and international students are welcome and encouraged to apply
       For more information, contact:
       Credit Travel Study Office
       International Student Centre
       Room 275, MacEwan Student Centre
       Phone: (403) 220-8922
       Fax: (403) 210-3869
       Or check out

Approved Sites for 2005:
Antigua – Archaeology                     Grand Canyon - Geology
Belize – Primatology                      Japan - Language
Budapest, Hungary - Mathematics           London/Bermuda – Insurance
Guinée, West Africa - Dance               Mediterranean - Geography
Ghana – Primatology                       Mexico – Integrated Arts
Ghana- Biology                            Perú – Latin American Studies

   Term Abroad Programs (TAP’s)
Spend a semester abroad taking U of C classes taught by academics from partner
universities. There are three Term Abroad Programs offered:

   •   China (Winter of each year), maximum 25 students: In cooperation with Nanjing
       University, Nanjing
   •   India (Fall of each year), maximum 25 students: In cooperation with University of
       Pune, Pune
   •   Czech Republic (Fall or Winter), 6-10 students per term: In cooperation with
       University of Economics, Prague

       Courses are U of C courses offered on site. U of C course names and grades
       appear on your U of C transcripts. No Letter of Permission is required.
       Tuition is paid to the U of C at our course rates for each course registered.
       Additional program costs are $5600 (2004) for India and $5700 (estimate) for
       China, and include transportation, housing, field trips and some meals. For these
       programs you must be enrolled in at least 3 courses.
       Additional program costs are $3400 for Prague, and include housing and field
       trips. For this program you must be enrolled in at least 4 courses.
       Deadline for India is May 1. Check at ISC for deadline for China.
       Deadlines for Prague are March 31 for Fall Term and September 1 for the Winter
       Check the TAP website

   The India, China & Prague TAP Application consists of:

   ♦ The basic application form
   ♦ 2 letters of reference (academic).
   ♦ A 500-word essay: a personal statement on who you are, why this is important
     for you, your career or academic plans, etc.
   ♦ Transcripts: a minimum of 2.70 cumulative GPA is required.
   ♦ Work/volunteer references
   ♦ Selection for these programs may be competitive. An interview may be required.

Study Abroad - Non U of C Options

   Programs Through Other Institutions
Other universities offer study abroad programs, which are open to outside students
They can be full year, one term, Spring/Summer programs, immersion, etc. You will
register at the other university as a Visiting Student. Tuition, fees and program costs are
paid to the organizing institution. Courses will appear on your U of C transcripts as
transfer credits. A Letter of Permission is required.

   Direct Registration (Visiting Student)
You may register for a term or a year as a Visiting Student at most universities around
the world. This can give you access to universities in countries where the U of C does
not have a program established. Tuition and fees are paid to the host university and in
some cases may be 2 or 3 times as much as U of C tuition. Travel and living expenses
are your responsibility. Courses are transfer credit and require a Letter of Permission.
Classes are taken with regular degree students at the host university in the language of
instruction of the country. A Placement Test in the local language may be required.

   Resources for Finding Individual Programs:

   • Use the ISC web page and links established there, i.e.
   • Try out the Queens International Centre’s website:
   • Many universities and organizations have information on the web - try a search.
     Start by getting university names from reference books such as the “International
     Handbook of Universities” or the “Commonwealth Yearbook”.
   • Look in the Study Abroad reference section at the ISC.
   • Check books & calendars in the ISC such as:
     • Academic Year Abroad Directory
     • Work, Study, Volunteer Abroad
     • The Canadian Guide to Working and Living Overseas

   Possible sources of funding:

   • The Student Finance Board, depending on the program.
   • U of C awards and scholarships if you are on an exchange. Check with the
       Student Awards Office, MLB 124 about Student Loans & University Scholarships.
   •   Special Sessions Grants ($400), only for Credit Travel Study Field Schools.
   •   International Studentships ($500-$1000), for U of C students going abroad for an
       exchange, language learning or practical experience.
   •   AIEJ Awards for study in Japan.
   •   J. Armand Bombardier Internationalist Fellowships, $10,000 for a minimum of
       one year abroad. You should be in your last year of study or a new grad
   •   CBIE International Learning Grants – all fields of study but priority to areas
       focusing on international issues. (
   •   Service Clubs (Lions, Kiwanis), Community groups, churches, cultural organizations
   •   Individual fundraising

Non Study Options
Information on working and volunteering abroad may be found in the International
Student Centre. The resource library contains brochures and information on the
programs outlined here as well as many other options.

   Working Abroad
       What skills do you have to offer? What are your interests & hobbies?
       What experience or professional qualifications do you have?
       What are your career goals?
       Do you speak a second/third language?
       How long are you prepared to go for?

     What kind of salary do you require?
     Are you healthy? How well do you adapt to new situations?
     Have you travelled before?

 Some options/ideas for working abroad:
   ♦ Teaching English Abroad
   ♦ Japanese Exchange & Teaching Program (JET)
   ♦ CUSO
   ♦ World University Services of Canada (WUSC)
   ♦ International Association for the Exchange of Students in
      Technology and Engineering (IAESTE)
   ♦ Working Holiday Visas
   ♦ Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP)

  Volunteering Overseas
     What are your motivations?
     How long a placement do you want and when do you want to go?
     What financial resources do you have? Are you prepared to fundraise?
     Do you speak a second language?
     What skills do you have to offer?
     Have you travelled before?
     Do you want to be with a group?

  Some options/ideas for volunteering overseas:
    ♦ Canada World Youth
    ♦ Youth Challenge International
    ♦ Canadian Crossroads International
    ♦ AFS Interculture Canada
    ♦ Voluntary Service Overseas
    ♦ Arusha Centre

  Next Steps:

• Do some research in the ISC on which programs are available. Make sure the
  university you want to go to has the programs and courses you want to take!
• Check out the university calendars section as well as the brochures on short and
  long term study options. Most information in the ISC can be signed out for either one
  or three days.
• Check the Web. Most universities now maintain web sites.

• Talk to a professor as to whether they have any suggestions on locations. They may
  know of colleagues doing research or teaching at a site specific to your interests.
• Check with your Faculty Advisor about fitting a session abroad into your academic
  program. You should do your research prior to meeting with the Faculty Advisor as
  they will want to know what your general plans are. When you meet with the advisor,
  make sure you have calendar or course descriptions, credit information and have
  listed possible U of C course matches for the classes you wish to take abroad.
• Make an appointment with the Study Abroad Advisor in the ISC.
• Get involved in the ISC – programs offered at the ISC can give you some cultural
  preparation for going abroad. As well, your involvement improves the experiences of
  international students at the U of C.

   Preparation to Go Abroad
The ISC offers pre-departure resources and information. Each term a full day orientation
is held for students going abroad. There are also other specific sessions held
throughout the term. Topic covered include:

- Cross Cultural Awareness                   - Academic Issues
- Culture Shock                              - Funding and Financing Study Abroad
- Risk and Safety

   What is a Letter of Permission?
A Letter of Permission is a standardized form, which most universities use to permit
study abroad.

It is a letter to the Registrar at the institution at which a student will study. It lists the
name and address of the institution. It instructs the host university to send transcripts to
the U of C. It lists the courses, which the student has permission to take at the host
university and usually indicates what credit will be given to the student upon return to
the U of C.

It is signed by the Associate Dean or Student Advisor of the Faculty in which the student
is registered.

Students should not leave the U of C without having a Letter of Permission, as this is
the student’s proof that they have the U of C’s permission to study abroad. Students
who do not have a Letter of Permission may find that upon return to the U of C after
studying abroad, they will have been deemed to have transferred to the host university.
They may be required to reapply to the U of C for admission, using their grades while
abroad to determine admissibility.

Starting in 2002 Faculties have been given permission to charge $25 for Letters of
Permission; some Faculties have begun charging and others have not – check with your
Faculty for details.

         Please Do Not Leave The U of C Without a Letter of Permission!

Attached is an example of a Letter of Permission.


Shared By: