GREAT CANFIELD PARISH COUNCIL

Document Sample
GREAT CANFIELD PARISH COUNCIL Powered By Docstoc
					                                                                                                       324


                    GREAT CANFIELD PARISH COUNCIL
               MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL
                   held in the Church Hall Monday 18th April 2011
Present:      Cllr Jon Sams (Chairman)
              Cllrs, Henry Green, Robert Mackley, Gwen Salmon, Keith Vincett, and the Clerk Allison
              Ward

              Cllr Jackie Cheetham (Uttlesford District Council – 8.00pm to 8.30pm)

              1 Member of the Public

PUBLIC MEETING – No matters were raised

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Cllr Sives (commitment), Cllr Jones (meeting). Cllr Sams thanked
   Cllrs Clifton, Sives and Vincett who have served during the last term and who have not stood for re-
   election. Clerk to write note of thanks.

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST

   Cllrs Mackley and Sams declared an interest in Agenda Item 9 as Trustees of Great Canfield
   Community Trust.

   Cllrs Mackley, Salmon, Sams, Vincett declared an interest in Agenda Item 10 as committee
   members or involved with the village open weekend.

3. MINUTES OF THE PARISH COUNCIL MEETING 14th March 2011 were approved and signed as
   a true record.

4. MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES NOT ELSEWHERE ON THE AGENDA

   Uttlesford District Council responded to the request to consider the use of the Village Design
   Statement (VDS), when submitting planning applications. As a result the Uttlesford planning
   website now makes greater reference to the VDS. Officers have been reminded of the need to ensure
   VDS plans are taken into account when considering applications and they will be included in the
   policy section. The reply suggests consideration is being given to amend the applicant’s guidance on
   planning statements.

   Buzcom have completed tests of the strength of the wireless signal and consideration is being given
   to a local repeater for the area at Church End. Confirmation has been received that at least one
   resident has joined Buzcom and is now receiving a significantly improved service. Cllr Vincett to
   write an article for the newsletter including the note from Uttlesford District Council. Cllr Vincett to
   contact BT and County Broadband, who have previously corresponded with the Parish Council on
   broadband access, updating them on progress with Buzcom.


Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council
                                                                                                     325


   Work continues on the draft welcome pack.

   The Clerk has contacted the resident offering to help develop a new website, a response is pending.

5. DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORT

   Uttlesford District Council has issued a consultation document on Planning Enforcement Strategy.
   This will run for 6 weeks to 20th May and comments from Parish Councils are invited. At the recent
   Parish/Town Council liaison meeting, 90% of questions were on enforcement and with an increase
   in cases the District are aware that this is an area of importance to Parish Councils.

   Following the Parish Councils questions to Uttlesford on the use of the VDS, Cllr Cheetham
   commented that members do generally ask whether the VDS has been considered, although to date
   officers reports have not specifically referred to the Great Canfield VDS.

   A bid has been made to be a ‘pioneer’ Council for neighbourhood plans in Newport/Stansted. The
   RSS, East of England Plan, will no longer be relevant with the new Localism Bill and no second
   runway at Stansted Airport. A new consultation document will be issued in the Summer for
   agreement on general principles with a later document to consider where the new housing may be.
   Cllr Vincett commented that neighbourhood plans had to be consistent with district policy and
   appeared to only be useful if an area wanted more housing. It would be unlikely that Great Canfield
   would be interested in developing a neighbourhood plan. Cllr Cheetham commented that some areas
   do want development and adopting a neighbourhood plan would allow them to build and market
   without involving the District.

   There will be a few months of Olympic promotion with events planned at Saffron Walden museum.

   Essex County Council has been given funds to repair pot holes. Any requests should be made via
   the County website and if repairs are not completed contact Cllr Barker. Cllrs Mackley and Salmon
   to review the situation in Great Canfield and report as necessary.

6. CORRESPONDENCE

   Comments from circulated mail and other correspondence.

   6.1. The Clerk has received confirmation that five candidates for the position of Parish Councillors
        have been accepted and elected. The number is insufficient to fill the vacancies. The new
        Parish Council are required to co-opt two members by 24th June, there is no discretion and each
        parish council is legally obliged to fill its full complement of members. Current Cllrs remain in
        office until Monday 9th May.

       Cllrs to consider applicants for discussion at the May meeting. Clerk to place article in May
       newsletter. Clerk to prepare documents of new Cllrs to sign at May meeting. Clerk to forward
       code of conduct and prepare information sheet for all Cllrs.



Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council
                                                                                                       326


   6.2. The NALC (National Association of Local Councils) has launched a suite of e-learning courses
        aimed at supporting parish councillors. There are two inductions courses, one for recently
        elected councillors and one for people considering becoming a councillor. The courses are free
        and only require a short registration. Clerk to forward details to all Cllrs on new Parish Council.

   6.3. The Clerk has received insurance papers for renewal from 1 June 2011. The cost is £359.71
        which is a 9% increase. Renewal with current insurers AON for a further 3 years will attract a
        5% discount. Clerk to contact AON for a revised figure including the 3 year discount and
        confirm that the 15% discount as members of EALC (Essex Association of Local Councils) has
        been included. Clerk to forward details to resident for assistance in obtaining further quotes.

   6.4. The Street Materials Guide consultation is not relevant to Great Canfield and no response will
        be submitted.

7. STOP STANSTED EXPANSION TOWN AND PARISH COUNCIL LIAISON MEETING

   Cllr Sams attended the meeting on behalf of Great Canfield. Four areas dominate the activity,

   (i) To secure long term moratorium on a second runway
   (ii) To secure resale of homes bought up for the second runway
   (iii)To continue to tackle impacts of single runway (18m passengers per annum currently, with
           permission to go to 35m)
   (iv) The sale of Stansted under Competition Commission ruling

   It was agreed that these issues are of importance to residents and this group should be supported by
   this Parish Council.

   The Governments Aviation Scoping consultation has been published as a precursor to development
   of a new airports policy to replace the 2003 Air Transport White Paper. Responses to the
   consultation will be used as the basis for development of a new draft policy which would be
   consulted on from March 2012, for implementation in March 2013. All Parishes are encouraged to
   respond. Cllr Sams to review and prepare a draft response for discussion at the July meeting.

8. EMERGENCY PLAN

   A draft has been prepared and comments are outstanding. To be reviewed at June meeting.

9. QUARTERLY VILLAGE HALL UPDATE

   Cllr Sams updated the meeting on the latest situation. The proposal from Great Canfield Community
   Trust has been rejected by the Parochial Church Council who has requested a higher annual rental.
   Based on current estimates this could result in a loss for which the trustees of the Trust would be
   liable. A further meeting is planned to discuss the issues. An update to be given at the June
   meeting.



Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council
                                                                                                       327


10. STATUS OF VILLAGE OPEN DAY COMMITTEE

    Cllr Sams proposed and Cllr Mackley seconded with all Cllrs present in agreement, that the Village
    Open Day Committee be made a sub-committee of the Parish Council. Cllr Mackley is currently the
    Chairman of the Village Open Day Committee.

    Clerk to contact the insurers AON for an estimate on insurance for the event.

11. REPRESENTATIVES REPORTS

    11.1.      Footpaths, Byeways, Bridleways and Greens
.
       11.1.1. Highways responded to the issue with the broken culvert at Oak Lane stating it was the
            landowners responsibility. Clerk contacted 3P’s to see if assistance could be provided.
            They confirmed this is not possible as such situations are not within their remit to fund,
            furthermore as it involves piping/concrete this was not work that could be supported by
            volunteers. Clerk to write to resident updating them of Parish Councils efforts to assist. A
            further comment was made suggesting the second pipe at this section appears to be blocked,
            Clerk to inform resident.

       11.1.2. Cllr Sams has spoken to resident at Rodingbourne and the ‘pyramids’ have been moved
            back marginally. It is felt any further move will result in damage to the verge.

       11.1.3. The Clerk has spoken to Highways re the PRoW works for 2010/11. It is understood the
            work has been completed with the exception of footpath 8 at Bury Farm where Highways
            need to speak with the landowner. Final confirmation is subject to invoicing from the
            contractor. Clerk to contact Alan Goffee for verification that the works have been
            completed satisfactorily.

       11.1.4. Highways were unable to locate the report on the issues with footpath 4 and the fence to
            the rear of Fanns Cottage. Clerk has resubmitted the issue.

       11.1.5. A response is pending following the letter to the residents Solicitor re kerbing at Bullocks
            Lane.

    11.2.      Highways and Road Safety

       11.2.1. Repairs have taken place during the month to the leaking water main at Bacon End.

       11.2.2. Cllr Vincett to speak to Ashfields suggesting that the ‘no entry’ sign be permanently
            placed on their property rather than only be used for events. This will assist with deliveries
            to the site being directed to the correct entrance.




Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council
                                                                                                      328


   11.3.     Crime Prevention

      11.3.1. Cllr Salmon attended the Neighbourhood Action Panel. Since the last meeting in
           December, there have been 30 reported incidents in Takeley and the Canfields with only 1
           incident reported in Great Canfield.

      11.3.2. Cllr Salmon confirmed no official notification is required for the Great Canfield open
           weekend. Cllr Salmon will arrange to borrow traffic warning signs advising drivers that an
           event is taking place.

      11.3.3. Beat the Burglar notices have been placed on noticeboards.

   11.4.     Tree Warden – Nothing to report.

12. PLANNING

   12.1. Applications/Determinations/Enforcement

             APPLICATIONS

             APPL No                UTT/0566/11/FUL
             LOCATION               Springmead, Canfield Road
             DEVELOPMENT            Replacement dwelling (amended scheme to that approved
                                    UTT/1404/10/FUL)

             Significant discussion took place on this application. Due to the previous comments on
             the original application and the process followed by this Council, Cllrs agreed to issue an
             e-mail to residents on the village distribution list advising them of this application and
             inviting comments. Information was also posted on the website. One letter of objection
             was received from a resident and this was read in full to the meeting. Cllr Vincett
             outlined the differences between the initial application and this revised application.

             It was agreed to submit the following comment, Clerk to arrange.

             The Parish Council did not object to the first application and felt the design of the
             building was of interest. The replacement in this application is a less interesting building.
             No objections have been made to the Parish Council from any neighbours, however one
             objection has been received from a parishioner stating that it is not in accordance with the
             Village Design Statement, (VDS). The Parish Council notes there is no reference to how
             this application meets the VDS guidelines. Two of the six Cllrs feel strongly that the
             grass roof is unsuitable.




Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council
                                                                                                         329


                 DECISIONS

                 APPL No               UTT/0303/11/AG
                 LOCATION              Black Hall Barn
                 DEVELOPMENT           Revised application for erection of storage barn to that approved
                                       under application number UTT/0977/10/AG
                 DECISION              Permitted Development

      12.2. Cllrs Sams and Vincett attended the Parish Liaison meeting at Uttlesford District Council with
          the Divisional Head of Planning and Building Control and updated the meeting. The
          presentation from the meeting was circulated to all Cllrs.

          The items discussed included an update on the Local Development Framework, The Localism
          Bill and its effect on planning, neighbourhood planning and enforcement.

      12.3. Consultation on Draft Planning Enforcement Strategy, see agenda item 5. All Cllrs to review
          document for discussion and approval of response at May meeting. Clerk to forward to Tricia
          Clifton and Keir Donald for consideration.

      12.4. A response has been received to the letter sent to Essex County Council Solicitor on Crumps
          Farm. This states it is not possible to investigate the matter as the complaint is essentially in
          relation to a legal decision already taken by the Development and Regulation Committee. It
          was unanimously agreed to write to the Local Government Ombudsman, Cllr Green submitted a
          draft for Clerk to send.

          An e-mail received on 15th April from Essex County Council confirms a meeting of the
          Development and Regulation Committee on 20th April will consider an application for an
          extension of time in respect of planning permission ESS/46/08/UTT for Crumps Farm. It was
          unanimously agreed that the sub-committee would submit an immediate response highlighting
          this Councils serious concerns with the request, including the statement that if ‘EWM is unable
          to fulfil the conditions attached to the permission, then the permission should lapse. It will then
          be for a new operator and leaseholder to make a new application which will be judged on its
          merits as well as taking into account the qualifications, experience and resources of the
          applicant.’

      12.5. Newlands Farm. It is anticipated a site visit will be made in the next few weeks. Cllr Vincett
          to liaise with Enforcement and provide further information if required.

13.        FINANCE

      13.1. Cheques Approved for Payment

           Allison Ward (Parish Clerk – March 2011),                                 £ 177.18
           Great Canfield PCC (Hall Hire inc Litter Pick Jan-March)                  £ 75.00
           Essex Association of Local Councils (Annual Subscription)                 £ 112.04

Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council
                                                                                                    330



       The Clerk commented on the support available from EALC and the relevance of renewing this
       annual subscription.

   13.2. The Clerk produced a draft asset register for the year ending March 2011. Additional items, the
       telephone kiosk and litter pickers have been added. A revised value for the litter pickers was
       agreed.

   13.3. The Clerk produced a draft set of accounts showing a surplus for the year of £91.58. It was
       proposed by Cllr Sams, seconded by Cllr Green and unanimously accepted by the Cllrs present,
       that the Accounts be accepted.

   13.4. The Bank Reconciliation showing a cash book balance of £5,068.01 was presented by the
       Clerk signed by Cllr Sams and accepted by the Parish Council.

14. ITEMS FOR SUBMISSION TO THE GREAT CANFIELD NEWSLETTER, WEBSITE AND
    PARISH NEWS

   Key dates only have been submitted to Parish News for the May edition as the deadline was prior to
   the April Parish Council meeting.

15. ITEMS FOR AGENDA INCLUDING MATTERS RAISED IN PUBLIC SESSION

          -   Annual Village Meeting
          -   AGM of Parish Council
          -   New Cllrs acceptance of office and declaration of interests
          -   Approval of the Annual Return and The Accounts and Government Statement for the
              year ending March 2011.

16. DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING – Monday 9th May 2011 at 8pm in the Church Hall.

17. TIME AND CLOSE OF MEETING – 9.45pm.


ALLISON WARD
Parish Clerk 01245 231798




Signed
Jon Sams
Chairman Parish Council