Tax Advice for Subcontractors by earlyfaust30


									Tax Advice for Subcontractors

Construction Industry Scheme Outlines Tax Advice for to Get Paid and
Pay Taxes for Subcontractors

Tax advice has been provided by the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS), the group that creates rules
when contractors pay their subcontractors for any construction work. Below is a guide that tells what
subcontractors can do to ensure they receive compensation properly. There’s also an explanation on
how contractors work out payments.

Getting Paid Under CIS Tax Advice – What to Do First

Contractors are encouraged by the CIS to verify their subcontractors first, which means they have to
check with the HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) before handing out any money. This is to check
subcontractors’ payment status so that they can receive the right paycheck amount.

When subcontractors receive work that’s covered by CIS, they need to sign up for the scheme if they
haven’t already. To register, certain important information has to be provided, such as name, business
address, business name, and other similar details. Also, HMRC registers subcontractors according to
their type of business, like if they run a company, partnership, or sole proprietorship.

HMRC additionally allows recording of one trading name.

When contractors check with HMRC to know their subcontractors’ records, they match up the
information they already have. This means it’s important for subcontractors to give the same
information to both HMRC and their contractors.

If subcontractors don’t register or when HMRC finds that their details don’t match, they might end up
having lesser pay or might get a deduction.

How to Pay Subcontractors

Another financial and tax advice implemented by CIS is the two methods of paying subcontractors –
gross and under deduction.

Subcontractors who are registered for gross payment will receive their pays in full without deductions.
So, they will have to pay National Insurance Contributions (NICs) and tax by themselves later through
their tax return.
When subcontractors are registered for payment under deduction, their pays are deducted a certain
amount, which is paid over to HMRC. Still, payments for NICs and tax need to be made later through tax
returns, but HMRC will have already set deductions that have been made through the under deduction

How to Register for Gross Payments

HMRC registers businesses for gross payment if they meet certain requirements, including:

      The company must operate its construction work in the UK and be operated through a bank
      The company must have a construction turnover of a minimum of £30,000 each year. This
       excludes the cost of materials and VAT.
      The company has complied with all tax obligations.

These three tests have to be passed before HMRC can grant any request for gross payment.

Receiving CIS Payments Under Deduction

For subcontractors that aren’t qualified for gross payments, the next option is under deduction.
Unregistered subcontractors and those who can’t be verified by their contractors get a deduction of 30%
to pay for tax and NICs. This deduction is 10% higher compared to when you’ve registered, which is
significantly high.

One tax advice related tip is to ask statements of deduction and payment from contractors if paid under

To top