by Bobby Deason - 12-19-2010
The Real Meaning
Christmas: Some Viewpoints
• Some oppose the whole concept of Christmas –
The Word Christmas, Christmas trees, Christmas
carols, Christmas lights, Christmas gift giving –
saying that all of it is rooted in Paganism or
• I like Christmas. I like Christ in the word
Christmas. I like the spirit of love and generosity
inspired by Christmas. I like the enjoyment of
family time. I like the beautiful decorations and
the songs inspired by the birth of Christ.
• I like the reenacting of the birth of Jesus in
Christmas Pageants by churches in our area.
The Origin of the Word Christmas
• The word Christmas originated as a compound
meaning "Christ's Mass". It is derived from the
Middle English Christemasse and Old English
Cristes mæsse, a phrase first recorded in 1038.
"Cristes" is from Greek Christos and "mæsse" is
from Latin missa (the holy mass).
• The Original Meaning of “Christ’s Mass.” Is a
Catholic term meaning the “death of Christ,” – not
His birth (from the 12th century).
• But that is not what I mean when I say
Common Usage Today is the Birth of Christ.
• Christmas is not a Bible Word. But Christ is and His
Birth is Given Prime Time in the Bible.
• “Definition of CHRISTMAS a Christian feast on
December 25 or among some Eastern Orthodox
Christians on January 7 that commemorates the
birth of Christ and is usually observed as a legal
holiday” (M. Webster Dictionary).
• English is a living language. Word meanings change
with time and usage, ex. Thursday’s origin “Thors
Day” pagan deity. We mean the 5th day of the week,
not the honor of a Pagan god.
And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between
your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike
his heel." Genesis 3:15
Luke 2:10-14 Revelation 12:1-6
10 But the angel said to them, "Do not be A great and wondrous sign appeared
afraid. I bring you good news of great joy in heaven: a woman… was pregnant
that will be for all the people. 11 Today in And cried out in pain as she was
The town of David a Savior has been about to give birth. Then another sign
born to you; he is Christ the Lord. 12 This appeared In heaven: an enormous
will be a sign to you: You will find a baby red dragon…stood in front of the
wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.“ woman who was about to give birth,
13 Suddenly a great company of the so that he might devour her child the
heavenly host appeared with the angel, moment it was born. She gave birth
praising God and saying, 14 "Glory to a son, a male child, who will rule all
to God in the highest, and on earth the nations with an iron scepter. And
peace to men on whom his favor Rests.” her child was snatched up to God and
to his throne.
From Gen. 3:15 to the Cross Satan
Tried to Kill This Child
Romans15:7 Accept one another, then, just as
Christ accepted you, in order to bring
praise to God.
• 5 One man considers one day more
sacred than another; another man
considers every day alike. Each one
should be fully convinced in his own
• 6 He who regards one day as special,
does so to the Lord.
What I Like Most Of All About Christmas is the
Historical Fact of and Reason For Jesus’ Birth.
• Matthew 1:20 But after he had considered this, an
angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and
said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take
Mary home as your wife, because what is conceiv-
ed in her is from the Holy Spirit.
• 21 She will give birth to a son, and you are to give
him the name Jesus, because he will save his
people from their sins."
• 22 All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had
said through the prophet:
• 23 "The virgin will be with child and will give birth
to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"--which
means, "God with us.“ (Isaiah 7:14)
The Birth of Christ (The Historical Account)
Luke 2:1-20 (The Real Christmas Story)
• Luke 2:1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a
decree that a census should be taken of the
entire Roman world.
• (Note the Historical Specifics)
• 2 (This was the first census that took place
while Quirinius was governor of Syria.)
• 3 And everyone went to his own town to
• 4 So Joseph also went up from the town of
Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the
town of David, because he belonged to the
house and line of David.
The Birth of Jesus is A Matter of History!
• 5 He went there to register with Mary,
who was pledged to be married to
him and was expecting a child.
• 6 While they were there, the time
came for the baby to be born,
• 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn,
a son. She wrapped him in cloths and
placed him in a manger, because there
was no room for them in the inn. 10
The Birth Of Jesus
God In The Flesh – Born of a Virgin
The Birth of Christ is a Matter of God’s
Eternal Purpose and Plan, Luke 2, cont’d
• 8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields
nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night.
• 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the
glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were
• 10 But the angel said to them, "Do not be afraid. I
bring you good news of great joy that will be for all
the people. (Genesis 3:15; 12:1-3 – “The Promise”)
• 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been
born to you; he is Christ the Lord.
• 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby
wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger."
The Angels and The Shepherds
• 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host
appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,
• 14 "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth
peace to men on whom his favor rests."
• 15 When the angels had left them and gone into
heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let's go
to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened,
which the Lord has told us about."
• 16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph,
and the baby, who was lying in the manger.
IMMANUEL – GOD IS WITH US!
“The Word Became Flesh,” John 1:14.
• 17 When they had seen him, they spread the
word concerning what had been told them about
• 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the
shepherds said to them.
• 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and
pondered them in her heart.
• 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and
praising God for all the things they had heard
and seen, which were just as they had been told.
IMMANUEL – GOD IS WITH US!
• Announcement of His birth – The Angels
• Reason for His birth – “Savior, Christ the Lord”
• Reactions to His birth:
– Angels praising God
– Shepherds saw Him and spread the word
– Those who heard the story were amazed
– Mary treasured all these things up in her heart
– Shepherds praised and glorified God
– God is One of Us Now – WHY?
Heb. 2: 11 Both the one who makes men holy and
those who are made holy are of the same family.
So Jesus is not ashamed to call them brothers.
• 14 Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in
their humanity so that by his death he might destroy him
who holds the power of death-- that is, the devil--
• 15 and free those who all their lives were held in slavery by
their fear of death.
• 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham's
• 17 For this reason he had to be made like his brothers in
every way, in order that he might become a merciful and
faithful high priest in service to God, and that he might
make atonement for the sins of the people.
• 18 Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he
is able to help those who are being tempted.
There Are Abuses of Christmas,
But Shouldn’t Discourage Godly Views
Saint Nicolas Santa Claus
It Is Our Responsibility to Set Our
Minds on Jesus – He is Our Center.
• He will either be in first place or no place. He will not accept
being a runner up. Not even to the church. The church must
not be put ahead of Jesus. The church is His body and He is
its’ Head. The church must not be an “Alter Christus” to us.
• Hebrews 13:8-16 – “We Have An Altar – JESUS”
• DISCIPLESHIP/FOLLOWING CHRIST IS DEMANDING, (See
• Colossians 3:1 Since, then, you have been raised with Christ,
set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the
right hand of God. 2 Set your minds on things above, not on
earthly things. 3 For you died, and your life is now hidden
with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life, appears,
then you also will appear with him in glory.
Having a child, Especially The First One
Is Very Exciting.
• Imagine that scene in the stable of Bethlehem.
First time parents, in the presence of a baby just
out of Mary’s womb, who is God in an infant’s
body. Remember Gabriel’s announcement to
Mary about this child, Luke 1:26-38.
• This is a first and a last in all of Human History. A
miraculous conception and a natural birth. The
creator of the universe in a newborn’s body. God
almighty - a little baby – dependent and vulner-
able to all of the trials of humanity. WOW!!
Kid’s Lined Up To See Santa Claus
• While at the mall a couple of years ago, my then
four year old nephew, Spencer, saw kids lined up to
see Santa Claus. Having been taught as a toddler
that Christmas is the holiday that Christians cele-
brate the birth of Jesus, he asked his mom,
“Where's the line to see Jesus"?
• My sister mentioned this to my dad, who immed-
iately became inspired and jotted words down to a
song in just a few minutes.
"Where's the Line to See Jesus?“
(An Original Song)
Performed by father and daughter, Steve
and Becky Kelley
Inspired by grandson, Spencer Reijgers
Written by Steve Haupt and Chris
“From the lips of children and infants you have
ordained praise…” (Psa. 8:2)
• “Out of the mouths of babes come profound
truths that many adults can not understand.
Hopefully Spencer's observation will cause
people all over to reflect on the love of Jesus,
and that one day we will all stand in line to see
• We are most thankful to our Heavenly Father to
have this chance to share our music with you.”
Merry Christmas everyone.
“Where Is The Line To See Jesus?”
Christmas time was approach- As I stood in amazement, at
ing, snow is starting to fall, this message profound, I
shoppers choosing their pres- looked down to thank him, he
ents, people filling the mall. was nowhere around. Little
Children waiting for Santa, boy at the mall, might as well
with excitement and glee, a have had wings, as the tears
little boy tugged my sweater, filled my eyes, but I heard him
looked up and asked me. sing. Where’s the line to see
Where’s the line to see Jesus? Jesus? Is He here at the store?
Is He here at the store? It’s It’s Christmas time, it’s His
Christmas time, it’s His birth birthday. Why don’t we see
day. Why don’t we see Him more? Him more? 23
Where Is The Line To See Jesus?
Where’s the line to see Jesus? He Where’s the line to see
was born for me. Santa Claus
Jesus? He was born for me.
brought me presents, But Christ
gave His life for me. In the blink of
Santa Claus brought me
an eye, at the sound of His trump, presents.
we’ll all stand in line at His throne. But Christ gave His life
Every knee shall bow down, every for me.
tongue will confess, that Jesus Where is the line to See
Christ is Lord. Where’s the line to Jesus?
see Jesus? Is He here at the store?
Where is the line to See
It’s Christmas time, it’s His birth-
day. Why don’t we see Him more?
Where is the line to See
http://wheresthelinetoseejesus.com Jesus? 24
Paint Like A 3 Year Old by: Georgia Jeffers
It started out neat and clean. The plan seemed good.
The small amount of French Blue paint with the Q-
tip set out on newspaper, the quick "how-to" lesson,
and "adult supervision". Ten minutes later we were
both covered with, yes, French Blue paint, hands,
arms, patio table, but not so much on the roof of the
bird house. Somewhere between the "be carefuls"
and the "we don't need so much,” I gave up and
gave in. The pure liberating joy of it all transported
me back to my own childhood days of abandon and
creative discovery. She taught me a quick "how-to"
Somewhere between the "be carefuls" and the "we
don't need so much,” I gave up and gave in.
How does life get so hectic?
Sometime between those magical days of preschool
and 1st grade life gets so serious. Deadlines already
imposed, benchmarks expected, each word, gesture,
expression measured, noted and recorded. Teachers
meeting, parents competing, and children caught up in
the middle. Does it all have to be so? At least for a
while today I was able to be 3 again, free again. My
precious granddaughter, Megan has more lessons to
teach me I'm sure.
As we get closer to the day,
the stress and urgency is noted all
around. The point of this celebration
is missed when we get caught up in
it. The sweetness and joy of just
painting a bird house together made
more sense than going to the mall,
buying more STUFF and missing out
on making a memory. Isn't that what
it's all about anyway?
So this Christmas
and going forward, I will strive to do
just that. In the end that's all we
really have in this life, so I hope to
make some good ones.
Time well spent, meals enjoyed, stories
re-told, stories re-lived. And hope-
fully, I will carry more than a memory
Hopefully I will learn to think, live, and
on occasion paint like a 3 year old.
Jesus said,“ Let the
little children come to
me, and do not hinder
them, for the kingdom
of heaven belongs to
such as these."
Look at the Baby. He is So Cute! He looks
Like His Mother, Mary.
• There is something exciting and special about a
newborn baby. They are cute, cuddly, dependent,
and demanding. I’m sure Jesus was.
• Baby Jesus. His birth is easy to acknowledge and
celebrate. Praise God for Him. Then go our way
with life as usual. But there is more to the story.
• As Paul Harvey used to say, “Now for the Rest of
the Story.” 31
Christmas: The Rest of the Story,
Matthew to Revelation
• The boy Jesus, Luke 2:40-52
• The carpenter, Mark 6:3
• The teacher and Lord, John 13:13
• The Sacrificial Lamb – Born to die, John
• The Living King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Revelation 1:17-18; 17:14; 19:11-16
Imagine If Jesus Had Not Come.
I’m So Glad He Was Born as One of Us.
• The Gospel Writers Show Us the Real Jesus. We
need to see Him as He Really is.
• He is so much more than a baby in a stable.
• Without His Birth There would be No Immanuel.
• Without His Life There Would be No Cross.
• With His Cross We would have NO HOPE!
• With JESUS we have EVERYTHING We Need,
Jesus Is All That We Need
• 28 And we know that in all things God works for the good
of those who love him, who have been called according to
• 29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be
conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the
firstborn among many brothers.
• 30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he
called, he also justified; those he justified, he also
• 31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is
for us, who can be against us?
• 32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up
for us all-- how will he not also, along with him,
graciously give us all things?
Jesus: He Is Our Everything
• 33 Who will bring any charge against those whom
God has chosen? It is God who justifies.
• 34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who
died-- more than that, who was raised to life-- is at
the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
• 35 Who shall separate us from the love of
Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution
or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?
• 36 As it is written: "For your sake we face death all
day long; we are considered as sheep to be
37 No, in all these things we are more than
conquerors through him who loved us.
• 38 For I am convinced that neither
death nor life, neither angels nor
demons, neither the present nor the
future, nor any powers,
• 39 neither height nor depth, nor
anything else in all creation, will be
able to separate us from the love of
God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 36
Jesus Was Born to Die and Live Again
His Cross and Crown are Our Glory
KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS
Hallelujah Chorus, p. 29 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE
Matthew 4:15-16 – “A Light Has Dawned”
• Do not let all the abuses of this time of year make
you cynical or bitter toward the world. Have a joy-
ful heart – “JOY TO THE WORLD THE LORD HAS
COME!” Adorn His beauty! Shine His Glory! Be His
Light in this Dark World.
• “Let the Beauty of Jesus Be Seen in Me.”
• “Jesus Loves Me.” “O How I Love Jesus.”
• The Real Spirit of Christmas is to know the real
Jesus Lord and to love, serve and follow him 365
days a year. Let’s resolve to do exactly that.
Whenever You Chose Have A God Blessed Day
Celebrating The Birth of Jesus Christ Our Savior