Frankie B. May, M.A.
St. Joseph Hospice Program
• Introduce residents into mission of Hospice
• Highlight benefits of Hospice for patients and
• Discuss referral recommendations
St. Joseph Hospital Hospice
– Meet the physical, social, emotional, and spiritual
needs of patients and families facing terminal illness
– Extend the work of Christ through healthcare
• Interdisciplinary team
– Nurse Medical director Dietician
– Social worker Grief counselor Chaplain
– Physical, occupational, speech therapists
• Medicare, Medicaid, and most private
• Community donations
• The Hospice program requires a physician
referral for admission.
• Physicians can refer any patient who meets the
Hospice admission criteria.
• In-home care
– Nurse, chaplain, social worker
– Acute medical concern, family respite
– Support group, periodic newsletters, annual
Hospice referral = Death Sentence?
• Do patients and families consider a referral to
Hospice as a sign to give up hope for recovery
(i.e., a death sentence)?
• How is pain management addressed when
Hospice personnel and the referring physician
differ in their opinions of appropriate care?
Declining Hospice services
• What if a family wants Hospice care and the
Patient unaware of diagnosis
• What if a patient is unaware of the terminal