Pre-Nurse Extern Program 2011
Covenant HealthCare has established a solid reputation for quality patient care and
community service. Our efforts to continually improve and enhance these services
translate into greater career opportunities for you.
Our Pre-Nurse Extern Program will begin the first week in June 2011 and continue
into August 2011. We are interested in qualified candidates who will enable us to
maintain the high standards of quality and customer service Covenant has
established in the healthcare industry.
Our program will include four days of core orientation and one week of unit based
training, followed by nine weeks of clinical experience. You must have completed
two semesters of RN Nursing curriculum courses and have a planned graduation
date of December 2012 or May 2013. One of the clinicals must include a Medical
Applications will be accepted beginning Monday, March 7th to Thursday, March 31st.
To apply for the Pre-Nurse Extern program at Covenant, the following must be
completed and returned to Covenant HealthCare Human Resources, 1020 Almira
Street, Saginaw, MI 48602:
1. A Student Pre-Nurse Extern Application (see attached)
2. An on-line employment application (www.covenanthealthcare.com)
3. An unofficial copy of current academic transcripts, followed by an
official copy sent to: Covenant HealthCare Human Resources Attn:
Denise Doster, at the completion of the Winter 2011 semester. GPA
must be at least 3.0
4. Written recommendations
a. One from a nursing instructor
b. The second can be personal or professional
If selected for a Pre-Nurse Extern position, the following will be required before you
1. A copy of a validated skills checklist signed by your clinical instructor
2. Updated set of current, official academic transcripts
Enclosed are the Pre-Nurse Extern job description and possible interview questions
for your preparation. If you have any questions, please feel free to call Denise at
Covenant HealthCare is offering an invaluable experience for nursing students
with our 2011 Pre-Nurse Extern Program. Our program is designed to provide
students with the opportunity to learn and grow in the Pre-Nurse Extern role
through hands-on experience.
How to Apply:
Visit our website at www.covenanthealthcare.com and apply online!
Applications will be accepted Monday, March 7th thru Thursday, March 31st, 2011
Pre-Nurse Extern are paid $11.22 per hour
Overtime & Holiday Pay provided
Pre-Nurse Extern positions are considered Temporary and therefore
participants are not eligible for benefits
Interviews and will be conducted in April by HR Employment Specialist, Nursing
Educators and Nurse Managers
Program includes four days of orientation/education. Followed by one week of unit based
training and nine weeks of clinical experience in the Pre-Nurse Extern role
Pre-Nurse Externs may continue employment at the conclusion of the program following
evaluation/recommendation by the Nurse Manager
For more information contact Denise Doster at 989-583-4502
STUDENT PRE-NURSE EXTERN APPLICATION
Name_________________________________Social Security #__________________
Home Phone_____________________Alternate Phone_________________________
School of Nursing_______________________________________________________
Expected Date of Graduation_______Degree___________________G.P.A._________
Are you presently employed or have you previously been employed by Covenant?____
Are you a participant in Covenant’s Clinical Progression Program?_________________
Clinical Service Area Preference: Please rank (1,2,3) your top 3 choices
___ Adult Surgical (2 Main, Harrison)
___ Cardiac Telemetry (3 Main/North, Cooper)
___ Cardiac Surgical Step Down (3 East, Cooper)
___ Medical/Dialysis (6 Main, Harrison)
___ Medical/Oncology (7 Main, Harrison)
___ Medical/Pulmonary (5 East, Cooper)
___ Neuro Step Down (4 North, Cooper)
___ Orthopedics (5 Main/North, Cooper)
___ Rehab Care (Michigan Campus 3rd & 4th floor)
Shift Preference: Please check your first choice
___ 7:00 a.m. - 7:12 p.m.
___ 7:00 p.m. - 7:12 a.m.
SAMPLE INTERVIEW QUESTIONS
PRE-NURSE EXTERN CANDIDATE
1. Please share with us the areas you have chosen and why?
2. Tell us how your educational background will help you in this position.
3. Describe two of your strengths. Describe areas where you think you can improve.
What will you do to improve.
4. Tell us what Customer Service means to you and who do you see as your
5. Where do you see yourself three years from now? What do you hope to do as an
6. Please describe in your own words the role of the RN.
7. Tell us about the last time you had to work with others to accomplish a critical result
or an important job. What did you do?
8. Describe a situation where you’ve encountered a problem at work. How did you
9. If you were to observe other staff verbally breaching a patient’s confidentiality, what
would you do?
10. Is there any thing else you would like to add? Do you have any questions?