Photo Story Activity
• Find someone in the room you DO NOT
• Sit down with them and find out their
name, what they teach and 3 interesting
facts about them
• When you are done---come get your
How to get your kids to SHOW you
what they have learned….
• We all have stories about the events, people,
and places in our lives.
• It is a fantastic way to engage students and get
them to show what they know by telling a story
• Increases interest in writing / storytelling
• What our students are saying should always be
more important than how they are saying it.
• Educational Uses
What we will be doing today
(complements of my 3rd graders)
Find your pictures
• Create a folder on your H: ALL files will
• Create a word document for all your
• GOOD PLACES TO LOOK FOR IMAGES:
– www.google.com (image tag)
– http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/catalog.html (Library of Congress)
– http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/index.cfm (NY Public Library Images)
– http://accuweather.ap.org/cgi-bin/apl.pl (AP Multimedia Archive--NOTE this is through Power
library and can only be accessed at home with passcode –see librarians)
– http://www.kitzu.org/ (online kits)
Note: The links H: and word
document will not work from the
web based presentation
Saving your pictures
• You need to be sure you are saving the
• Picture files have the extension jpg, jpeg,
bmp, png, jiff
• NOTE .htm or .html is NOT a file
extension for a picture file
How to copy / save
• FROM UNITED STREAMING
– Log onto United Streaming
– Search for images
– Open image
– Choose size (small or medium)
– Save in your folder—DON’T FORGET TO COPY CITATION
• FROM A WEBSITE
– Find an image
– Open the image –NOT THE THUMBNAIL
– Point to the image and RIGHT CLICK: Save as
– Check to be sure the file you are saving has the correct file extention
.jpg, .jpeg, .bmp, .gif, etc…. NOT HTML
•Note: Be sure you copy the citation for EACH picture file used
Create your Photo Story
Launch the program
Opens the welcome screen.
Choose begin a new story.
Upload your pictures
Photo Story imports multiple pictures at a
time in alphabetical order. Be sure to
name or number them appropriately
before importing to save you time in
arranging them in the timeline.
Adding More Pictures
Your pictures appear in the
timeline at the bottom of
the page. You may add
more photos at anytime
using the Import Pictures
button. They will be added
to the end of the timeline.
Arranging your Pictures
The Drag & Drop Method The Arrange Buttons Method
1. Select the photo you want to 1. Select the photo you want to
move by clicking on it in the move by clicking on it in the
2. While holding down the 2. Using the buttons to the right
mouse button, drag the image
to it’s desired position in the of the timeline, move the
timeline. image back and forth until it
3. Drop the image onto the is in the desired position.
timeline. The photo now
appears in it’s new location.
1. Highlight the photo that you
wish to delete.
2. Below the arrange buttons, you
will find a button marked with
an X. This is the Delete button.
3. With the unwanted photo
highlighted, click the Delete
4. You can also click the Delete
key on the computer keyboard
NOTE: When a photo is removed
from the timeline, the attached
files (such as narration or
music files) are also removed
1. Click on the photo in the
timeline that you wish to crop
2. Click the Edit button.
3. In the new window, make sure
that the Rotate and Crop tab is
4. Click the checkbox beside
5. Using the handles (little dots
along the edges) resize.
• In Photo Story you can add a title page to
the beginning of your story, or you can add
titles to each photo in the story.
• when you add text to a photo, that photo
becomes static in your story and does not
contain any panning or zooming.
• To add motion to a static photo, you must
customize the motion for that photo.
You can edit
Narrate Your Pictures
record stop Re-record
• The next step is telling
• FIRST-test your mic
• Click on the red
RECORD button to
• Click on the square
STOP button to stop
• You can rerecord at NOTE you are recording Test mic
any time the slide that is highlighted
Creating Background Music
• The next step is to
add music to create
• You have 2 choices
– Select Music
– Create Music
• Built in
• Safe to use
• Lots of options
MUSIC ON YOUR
• Find it
• Download it
To your folder
• Upload it
Preview your work
On the Narrate your pictures and customize motion window as well
as on the Add background music window there are Preview buttons.
Saving / Publishing
Your Photo Story
One of the most important steps in is choosing how the
world will see it. The quality of your output depends on the
choice you make.
Higher quality options
• *Save your story for playback on your computer. WHAT
WE WILL USE
Lower quality options
• Send the story in an e-mail message. If possible, Photo
Story compresses your story to be one megabyte (MB) or
• Save your story for playback on a Pocket PC with
Windows Media Player 10 Mobile. Can be played on
Windows pocket pcs.
• Save your story for playback on a Smartphone with
Windows Media Player 10 Mobile. Builds a story using a
profile that is appropriate for your device.
• Save your story for playback on a Portable Media
Center. Builds a story using a profile that is appropriate for
Steps to save & view
• Click the Browse button to select WHERE you want Photo Story to
save your project.
• The Save As window opens. Navigate to the FOLDER we created.
• Name the project (NO CHARACTERS OR SPACES).
• Click the Save button-- Back in the Save your story window, click the
• The Building your Story window opens and begins to put your story
• When complete, the next window gives you the opportunity to view
your story or
• create another story.
• When View your Story is selected Windows Media Player opens to
play your story.
SAVE YOUR PROJECT
• The Save Project button saves your story as
a .wp3 file.
• This is a working file that can be opened in
Photo Story 3 and can be edited
• Especially important for students so they
can make changes
• SAVE IN YOUR FOLDER
• Red Eye
• Correcting Contrast and Color Level
• Customizing Motion
• Adding Transitions
• Adding Effects
See me to help add these to your project
Contact me if you have more questions