Due date: ________________
The Dirt on Cleaning
Conventional cleaning products, such as window cleaners,
oven cleaners, disinfectants, and drain cleaners, are effective
but may be hazardous. This is indicated by a hazardous
household product symbol (HHPS) on the label. Products
with a “poisonous” symbol may contain toxic substances
such as benzene, methanol, or formaldehyde. Some of
these additives are responsible for long-term and short-term
health problems including cancer, asthma, skin irritation, and
There are environmentally friendly alternatives to these
conventional cleaners. These include green cleaning
products and natural cleaners. Natural cleaners include
mixtures of substances such as baking soda, vinegar, olive
oil, lemon, and borax.
Part A - Research
1. What regulations currently apply to cleaning products in Canada?
2. Identify four different types of conventional cleaning products. Include the product
name and cleaning purpose.
3. Research the health and environmental concerns related to two conventional
household cleaning products. Cite your resources (at least four).
4. Identify green products that could be used in place of the two conventional products.
5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of these green cleaners?
6. What guarantee is there, if any, that a green product is safe?
7. Compare the prices of the two conventional and green cleaning products.
Part B – Analysis
Is it better to use a green cleaner or a conventional one? What criteria did you use to
decide? Support your position with evidence.
Will people accept the higher cost of using a green product? Justify your position
Alternative: What are the advantages and disadvantages (if any!!) to using natural
cleaners (i.e. baking soda and vinegar)? Why is it that more people do not use these
Modified from Nelson Chemistry 11 Textbook
Report – The Dirt on Cleaning
Part A - Research
1. The current regulations for cleaning products in Canada are:
2. Examples of conventional cleaners:
Conventional Cleaner Purpose
3. Health and environmental concerns related to conventional cleaners
Conventional Cleaner Health and Environmental Concerns
4. Green cleaning alternatives
5. Analyzing the green cleaners
Green Cleaning Product Advantages Disadvantages
6. Is there a guarantee that green cleaners are safe?
7. Price comparison between conventional and green cleaners.
make sure that the sizes are comparable
make note of “concentrated” cleaners (i.e. you use less to get the job done)
Part B – Analyze
Word process this section of the assignment.