Current vs. Direct Qualification Post-Season Study
For the purpose of a consistent study, the flights, hotel stays and missed class are calculated using the following parameters:
1. All studies based on most recently completed championship location – (Columbia MO for volleyball)
2. Airline travel is used by teams traveling from more than 750 miles away (or 12 hours).
3. Arrival at regional championships in the current 14-region structure
Drive 3 hrs or less – arrive day of match
Drive 3.5 to 5 hrs – arrive day before match
All others follow final site arrival parameters in #3
4. Arrival at national championships in the current 14-region structure, and both opening-round and final sites in direct qualification models
a. Teams traveling from 0-1 time zones away arrive one night before competition begins
Exception: For ground travel more than 5 hours away, teams arrived 2 nights before competition began.
b. Teams traveling from 2 time zones away arrived two nights before competition begins.
c. Teams traveling from 3 time zones away arrived three nights before competition begins.
5. Departure dates for all competition
a. All teams departed the day after they are eliminated from the tournament.
Exception: For teams driving 5 hours or less, departure is the same day of elimination.
6. Missed Class Time
a. Each weekday a team is traveling to/from or at a championship is counted as a missed class day.
b. Teams from the host schools missed class only on the days they actually played.
c. All first-round games in opening round pairing model are contested on Saturday.
7. Local travel (less than 1 hour drive to competition site)
a. Teams stay on their own campus – no hotels
Team “Selection” Criteria for direct qualification models
1. Used results from most recently completed season and the final ratings/selection procedures
2. Using 2006-07 qualification plans and each sport’s applicable rating system, berths awarded as follows:
a. Conference berths - One berth/conference with 6-11 postseason-eligible teams, two berths for 12-17 teams, and three berths for 18
teams or more.
b. Independent berths – Divided independents in the given sport into geographic groupings (as best as possible), awarded one berth for
each independent grouping with 6-11 postseason-eligible teams
c. Host berth – Awarded one berth for host, unless otherwise noted
d. At-large berths - Use sport’s applicable rating/selection system to award at-large berths to complete the field.
Competition Setup –Opening-Round Pairings
1. All match ups are played on Saturday.
2. Highest seeds host opening rounds and pairings assigned with more weight given to geography than seeds or rankings.
3. One team per opening-round pairing advanced to final site - no at-large berths to the final site.
4. Pairing assignments emphasize geography first, then seeding/ranking
5. Every effort made not to pair teams from the same conference in first round competition
6. Final site host institution receives first round bye directly to final site.
Current vs. Direct Qualification Post-Season Study
From the 2006-07 Qualification Plan
# of Schools Sponsoring 245
# of conferences 23
# of “true” independents 8
(i.e., institutions not a member of any affiliated conference in any sport)
2006 REGIONAL/NATIONAL DIRECT QUALIFICATION MODEL - 36 TEAMS DIRECT QUALIFICATION MODEL - 36 TEAMS
POST-SEASON FORMAT SINGLE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP SITE OPENING-ROUND PAIRINGS
Regional Tournaments - 84 teams @ 13 sites Final Site – 36 teams play @ 1 site Opening Round – 24 teams play @ 12 sites
(deadline Sat. Nov. 18) 3 court facility --> 12 pools of 3 in round 1 single elimination
3 regions play 1st round on Tues & (teams guaranteed 2 matches) all games played on Saturday
semis/finalsFri-Sat 4 court facility--> 9 pools of 4 in round 1 12 winners to final site
2 play Thurs-Sat (teams guaranteed 3 matches & would adjust 12 teams receive first round bye (including host
8 play Fri-Sat game/travel schedules slightly) school if applicable)
National Championship - 20 teams @ 1 site 5-day tournament played Tues-Sat Final Site - 24 teams play at 1 site
4-day tournament played Wed-Sat All teams arrive by Mon. 12 winners + 11 top seeds (1st round bye) + 1 host
(Nov. 29-Dec. 2) Tues/Wed - pool play, then 24 go home All teams arrive by Mon.
Pool play into single elimination Thurs - 12 winners play, then 4 go home Tues/Wed/Thur –pool play 8 pools of 3, then 16
All teams arrive by Tuesday for banquet Fri-Quarters, then 4 go home go home
Wed/Thurs - pool play - then 10 go home Sat – 4 teams play semis & finals Fri-Quarters, then 4 go home
Fri - 6 games - then 6 go home Sat – 4 teams play semis & finals
Sat – 4 teams play semis & finals
Reg berths to nationals 13 Conf berths to nationals 26 Conf berths to nationals 26
Host berth 1 Host berth 1 Host berth 1
At-Large 6 “True” independent berths 1 “True” independent berths 1
Remaining berths 8 Remaining berths 8
RESULTS OF TRAVEL EXPENSE STUDY
IMPORTANT NOTE: The expense data that appear below are based on the method for determining at-large selections during the 2006-07 school
year. Revision in the method for selecting at-large and “true” independent berths would affect these study results.
(Totals for all Reg/Nat competition)
flights 10 flights 14 flights 12
missed class days 254 total missed class days 155 total missed class days 120
hotel nights 198 hotel nights 148 hotel nights 128