QBE at a glance
QBE is one of the world’s leading Key facts
insurers and reinsurers, operating • Gross written premium £8.8 billion
to year end December 2010
out of 49 countries around the • One of the largest managing
world, with a presence in all of agents at Lloyd’s
the key insurance markets. • A+ rating by Standard & Poor’s
and Fitch, A rating by A.M. Best
• First London office established
QBE in Europe Highly rated
• Regional offices throughout the
QBE is a specialist in business insurance, You can judge the size and strength UK, Ireland and mainland Europe
operating in all the major insurance centres of a company by the ratings it keeps.
• Choice of writing business
throughout Europe and has over 100 Insurer Issuer with Lloyd's security or
years’ experience in the UK. We have financial credit
strength rating company security
a strong presence across the UK and
Ireland, enabling us to provide an Standard & Poor’s A+ A+ • Comprehensive product range
outstanding service locally to brokers.
Fitch Ratings A+ A+ • Our award winning service has
In Europe, we have an in-depth won us numerous awards,
A.M. Best A A+ including 2010 Post Magazine
understanding of each of our chosen
markets. Our ability to combine local Underwriting Service Awards –
Standard & Poor’s and Fitch Ratings
expertise with the broad knowledge of our Underwriting Team of the Year for
current Insurer Financial Strength and
product specialists enables us to provide both Casualty and Construction
Issuer Credit Rating for QBE’s main
innovative solutions in each territory. and Engineering; 2010 Reactions
insurance subsidiaries (QBE Insurance
London Market Awards – Best
Our financial strength provides a level of (Europe) Limited and QBE Reinsurance
Insurance Company and Best
security and confidence with the added (Europe) Limited) is A+.
Underwriting Team – Casualty.
flexibility of our dual-pen capability. This
A.M. Best has assigned an Insurer
means you have the choice of whichever
Financial Strength Rating of A (excellent) * based on average exchange rates
is best for your business, either Lloyd’s,
and A for QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited January – December 2010 US$ to GBP
where we are one of the largest
and QBE Reinsurance (Europe) Limited ** based on the exchange rate US$
managing agents, or company paper.
respectively, and an Issuer Credit Rating to GBP as at 31 December 2010
of A+ for QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited Published March 2011
and QBE Reinsurance (Europe) Limited.
QBE Insurance Group performance 2010
Gross written premium* £8,809 million Net earned premium* £7,344 million
Combined operating ratio 89.7% Shareholders’ funds** £6,605 million
Insurance profit* £1,101 million
Leading product range Effective risk management is an
essential feature of all successful
As a specialist in business insurance, the organisations and is one of our key
breadth of the industry sectors we cover is underwriting considerations. Our
almost as diverse as our range of products. objective is to work hand in hand with
With an appetite and capacity to provide all stakeholders to ensure we take every
cover across any size of business we are opportunity to contain and control risk.
market leaders in the vast majority of This helps us to reduce the frequency
products we offer. and severity of our clients’ loss experience.
With literally hundreds of product lines
we are confident we can provide you Local knowledge
with a competitive and effective solution. UK and Ireland – Underwriting offices
To give you a flavour of our extensive London, Dublin, Birmingham, Bristol,
range, we have listed some of our product Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Stafford.
Mainland Europe – offices in Belgium,
• Accident and health (inc commercial
Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark,
PA and business travel)
Estonia, France, Germany, Hungary,
• After the event insurance Rugby Italy, Macedonia, Norway, Romania,
• Aviation Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland
QBE is proud to be an Official Partner
and the Ukraine.
• Bloodstock of England Rugby and Premiership
• Commercial crime Rugby. Working with two leading History of QBE
names in the sport means that we
• Commercial combined In 1886, the North Queensland Insurance
can expand our association with
• Commercial motor – (inc fleet, specialists on and off the rugby Company was formed by two insurance
haulage, bus and coach, motor trade) agents in Sydney, Australia. The company
field, allowing QBE’s brand to
was expanded by establishing agencies
• Contractor all risks/EAR develop and business to grow.
throughout Asia and Australasia. There
• Energy, offshore and onshore To find out more about how QBE was even an agency presence in London
• Entertainment and leisure industry is supporting rugby at all levels of prior to the branch office opening on
the game, please visit Fenchurch Street in 1904.
• Financial and professional liability
(D&O, PI) North Queensland Insurance Company
register your details to receive advance
• General liability (EL, PL, Tradesman) continued to grow and acquired Equitable
news of forthcoming rugby events
Probate and General Insurance in 1959,
• Marine and competitions.
before merging with the Bankers and
• Pharmaceutical and medical Traders Insurance Company in 1971
• Political risk and terrorism Our approach to finally arrive at the name – QBE –
• Product guarantee and recall All our people are encouraged and
• Product protection empowered to use their expertise to To find out more
find a way around problems. We have a
• Property For more information about QBE and how
healthy appetite for risk, and a willingness
• Reinsurance to work flexibly in partnership with brokers we can help your business, please visit
• Scheme underwriting facility and clients, enabling us to find solutions our website www.QBEeurope.com or
where other insurers can’t or won’t. We e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Specie don’t believe that one size fits all or that
• Surety we should follow what other insurers do, *In 2010 QBE had the highest proportion of
which means we are always willing to brokers saying that they were delighted with
• Trade credit and bonds
take a view on specialist risks. QBE’s claims service. (Gracechurch Claims
• Warranty and GAP.
Performance Monitor 2010)
We stand by our claims
So whether it’s cover for a dental practice
or a leisure centre we are confident we At QBE we pride ourselves on our
can provide the cover. Please visit professional, efficient and sympathetic
www.QBEeurope.com and review our approach to claims. So not only do we
product guide and even if you cannot find take great satisfaction from our highly
what you are looking for here, we’ll do all rated* claims service, we also place
we can to provide a competitive and great emphasis on risk management,
effective solution. working with clients to improve their
systems and processes.
2776/AT A GLANCE/PF-VERSION/MARCH2011
QBE European Operations is a trading name of QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited and QBE Underwriting Limited. QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited
and QBE Underwriting Limited are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. QBE Management Services (UK) Limited and
QBE Underwriting Services (UK) Limited are both Appointed Representatives of QBE Insurance (Europe) Limited and QBE Underwriting Limited.