Vendor Management Services Provider for Information Technology Services
Questions and Answers to first round based on questions
received by 2:00PM on March 18, 2011
Please see the following Important Attachments posted on Vendornet:
Q&A Attachment 1 - Spend by Current Supplier and Spend by Job Title for 2010 - March 25, 2011 (see
Q&A Attachment 2 -Current Approved Supplier List - March 25, 2011 (see Question 73)
General Response to Participation as a Contractor on the New VMS Contract: Questions 1-15
Several firms that supply IT Services and PeopleSoft Services have asked if they must respond to this RFP to be
eligible as a Contractor to supply Contracted Personnel. Contractors that seek to only supply IT and/or
PeopleSoft Services should not respond to this RFP. The purpose of this RFP is to select a VMS Company to
provide complete program management and VMS technology.
Current VMS Vendors
If you are currently an approved Contractor with Contracted Personnel under the Comsys VMS contract,
you do not need to respond to this RFP (27981-BE)in order to continue as a Contractor. This RFP
requires the selected VMS Company to on board all existing Contractors and their Contracted Personnel
if desired by the Contractor.
Vendors Not on Current VMS Contract
If your firm is not currently on the Comsys VMS contract, it will be the responsibility of the VMS
Company to recruit Contractors to meet the State’s fluctuating, contingent IT workforce needs. The
process and timetable to add new Contractors will be determined once a new VMS contract is awarded.
1. I am trying to keep an eye out for the bid which pertains to IT services and just wanted to make sure I
was not missing anything as this RFP appears to be for the VMS only. Please advise if a separate RFP will
be coming out for the contract services piece
2. Can one submit a 2nd proposal for only the part of the RFS they would like to be contracted?
3. The company that I work for is a value added service provider and consultant for certain areas in the IT
field. We would like to do business with the State of Wisconsin and other governmental entities within
the state. Is there a contract that would more relevant to our strengths than this RFP? Would we be
submitting our info to the winner of this contract?
4. Please explain the process and timetable for a vendor to get added to the list of IT service providers. Is
there anything we need to do during this process of selecting the vendor manager?
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 1
5. Are IT (contingent) Staffing Companies, currently approved on contract 15-92040-501, suppose to
complete RFP 27981-BE in order to have an opportunity to continue providing IT Staffing services to the
State of WI?
6. Is the State of Wisconsin, Bureau of Procurement, going to issue a separate RFP for Prime Vendors to
provide contingent Information Technology (IT) Contracted Personnel ( IT staffing services)?
7. Since we are not a Vender Management company, but a Information Technology consulting firm.
Where are the IT Consulting firms to bid on State Business?
8. There seems to be some confusion and I want to make sure I am correct in my understanding that the
new VMS RFP 27981-BE is strictly for the firm that is going to be running the VMS and does not include
any provisions for the actual prime contractors that operate inside the VMS. I appreciate your response
and have a great day!
9. Is this strictly for vendor management? Is there any part of it the individual vendors should reply to?
10. We received the attached document regarding a vendor management system request. Could you please
provide the intent? Does this allow us to provide the details so we can be a part of the vendor group
providing IT services to your department?
11. I have a question to ask as I have been waiting for becoming an IT services suppliers for WI as we have
missed an opportunity in 2006 and we have received a request for 27981-BE – Bid Title: Request for
Proposal 27981-BE For Vendor Management Service Provider for Information Technology Services last
Friday and wondering is it the same program for request for proposal for statewide IT services
12. I just saw the RFP for the Vendor Management System. I was just wondering if there is any provision
for small businesses like us to somehow participate in the process? We would be interested in
subcontracting with any of the prime vendors for this contract in any away appropriate.
13. Can VMS subcontract to bidders who were not shortlisted? What we mean is when a bidder did not
score 490 of the total combined 650 points – in which case his proposal is ineligible for further
consideration. Please reference section 3.0 subsection 3.3 Evaluation Criteria of the RFP.
14. What is the process of sub-contracting to other vendors?
15. Is it up to the awardee – VMS to determine what percentage of the contract is sub-contracted?
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 2
16. I understand that Comsys/Tapfin has been providing 16. The purpose is to select a company to provide
MSP services for the past few years for the State of WI both the program management and the VMS
so is the objective of this RFP to select only the VMS technology.
technology or MSP (program management) and VMS?
17. We would like to set up some time to have a 17. The current VMS contract is available on
look/review at previous VMS. I am asking if it is possible VendorNet at
to have a look at previous awarded contracts. http://vendornet.state.wi.us/vendornet/wais/bulldocs
18. Regarding Question/Statement 4.9 – please describe 18. Currently there are three agencies that use the
the three timekeeping systems (name, type, version etc.) same time system and it is a “home grown” system
that the VMS is required to interface with? developed by the State called PTA WEB. A CSV
template is used for the upload.
19. Is the current VMS (Fieldglass) contracted directly or 19. Fieldglass is contracted through the VMS
through the current MSP provider? Company.
20. Regarding question 6.4.1 – would you kindly clarify 20. Question 6.4.1 asks that you create a crosswalk
what is expected that compares the job titles on the Cost Sheet with
the industry standard job titles you used.
As an example using the first Job Title: Program –
Analyst 1: In responding to 6.4.1 you need to create a
Crosswalk document showing what industry standard
job title you used when completing the Cost Sheet for
the Program – Analyst 1 Job Title. We have provided
on the second Tab of the Cost Sheet our current Job
Descriptions to assist you with your analysis. On the
Crosswalk document you must show your source of
this information. Examples of industry standards
could be from Gartner, Forrester or other industry
standards providing this information.
CAUTION: DO NOT ALTER THE COST SHEET. Appendix
A states “No changes of any kind may be made to this
spreadsheet. Any modifications will result in
disqualification of proposal.”
The crosswalk document is to be included as part of
your response to 6.4.1
21. What company is your incumbent VMS and why are 21. The current VMS Company is Comsys. The
you exploring a switch? We are happy to roll up our contract is coming to an end; and therefore we are
sleeves and invest the time to do a thorough proposal, conducting a new RFP process.
but it would be quite helpful to better understand the
State of Wisconsin’s current state and any challenges
which might have led to the need for an RFP. We look
forward to hearing from you.
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 3
22. I am reaching out to you to ask for your 22. All companies are encouraged to participate in
confirmation that (Company name removed) can this process if they feel they can meet the needs of the
participate in this RFP process. State of Wisconsin contained in RFP 27981-BE
23. Will the company awarded the contract for RFP 23. The VMS Company and/or a subsidiary may
27981-BE also provide contingent Information submit its employees as possible candidates for the
Technology (IT) Contracted Personnel (IT staffing Agency to consider.
24. Will this be a mandatory contract? That is, will all 24. Yes, this will be a mandatory contract.
State agencies be required to procure temporary IT
services through this contract?
25. Can the MSP place their own employees in 25. The VMS Company and/or a subsidiary may
positions? Can a subsidiary of the MSP place employees submit their employees as possible candidates for the
in positions? Agency to consider.
26. Does the State have a 26. The State is committed to doing business with
Minority/Small/Disadvantaged Business Commitment or State certified Minority Business firms with a goal of
goal? 5% of spend going to these firms. The State is also
interested in doing business with Women Owned and
Disabled Veterans’ owned firms. At this time the State
has not established goals for these two categories.
The volume of business placed through the VMS
Company with these types of Contractors is tracked
27. Please describe the existing State agency 27. Currently there are three agencies that use the
timekeeping software with which we are to interface? If same time system and it is a “home grown” system
possible, please list import/export file formats. developed by the State called PTA WEB. A CSV
template is used for the upload.
28. Does the State of Wisconsin have a required 28. The State currently does not have an enterprise
standard for background checks, or does the State expect standard as each agency may have unique needs. The
the MSP to propose a method producing background VMS Company or the Contractor is required to
checks? If there is a standard, what is the fee? perform the background check if requested by an
Agency. The State may negotiate a separate fee as
part of the contract and will develop Business Rules
which will govern how and when reference checks will
29. Who is currently providing your VMS services and 29. Our current VMS Company is Comsys and the
what software is being used? software tool is Insite by Fieldglass.
30. Does the State expect the volume to remain 30. The State cannot commit on the dollar volume.
consistent with the volumes quoted in the RFP?
31. Does the State expect the volume of positions filled 31. The State cannot commit on the number of
to remain consistent with the volumes quoted in the Contracted Personnel it will need in the future.
32. The timeline ends with proposal due date. Is there a 32. The remainder of the timeline will depend on the
timeline for anticipated orals, award, etc? number of proposals received that have to be
reviewed and scored. We anticipate the Notice of
Intent to Award will be issued mid May 2011.
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 4
33. The awarded response will be made public. Do we 33. Please refer to DOA Form # 3027, Designation of
have the ability to redact information and confidential Confidential and Proprietary Information. This was
prior to opening the response to the public? Does this included in posting on VendorNet as Required Forms
include business partners, agents?
34. The requirement is that Internet Explorer, Netscape, 34. Yes
and Firefox Internet browsers are the only required
software. Is it also required that the application must be
accessible via each of these browsers?
35. In what database or format is the existing historical 35. All current program data is housed in the
data that is to be converted? Fieldglass database and can be downloaded into XLS,
CSV, PDF or RTF formats.
36. The requirement is that the interfaces must be 36. Yes
tested and error free two weeks prior to date of the
project implementation. Please confirm that project
implementation means the Go Live Date.
37. The requirement is that training must occur two 37. Yes.
weeks in advance of project implementation. Please
confirm that project implementation means the Go Live
38. The requirement indicates hiring managers may 38. Yes
want to see the ‘referrals’ ranked. Does ‘referral’ mean
the proposed candidates?
39. Are references required with each candidate 39. Yes, references are required. The proposed
submittal? If so, is there a minimum number of candidate may need several references to support the
references required? experience and skill requirements listed on the RFS if
these were obtained during several engagements with
40. Is the contract administrator and contract manager 40. Yes
the same role?
41. The requirement is to describe how the system 41. Timesheets are presently adjusted using
tracks changes orders or changes made by approvers. Is debit/credit memos. Currently change orders typically
this specific to changes made to a person’s approved include increases in amounts on purchase orders,
timesheet? changes in the hiring manager assignment list because
of transfer or retirement and changes in accounting
42. The report is run bi-weekly every invoice cycle. 42. Agencies are invoiced/billed bi-weekly.
Does this infer that the agencies are to be invoiced bi-
weekly? Please clarify.
43. What are the drivers for the going out to bid at this 43. See answer 21.
44. What are the top three improvements you would 44. The State’s objectives and requirements are
like to see as an outcome of this RFP process? contained within RFP 27981-BE
45. What percent of your $40 million spend is payrolled 45. No available data.
workers versus workers recruited by contractors?
46. What percent of your $40 million spend is 46. No available data
independent contractors (1099s)?
47. Does the state feel there are a substantial number 47. No available data. We have identified that the
of current Independent Contractors that are not correctly issue of independent contractor status is gaining
classified? attention in the industry.
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 5
48. What is the average length of assignment for 48. We presently lack data to answer these questions.
contractors? We will attempt to answer these questions in Q&A
49. Are your current Managed Service Program (MSP) 49. The current VMS Company is eligible to submit a
and Vendor Management System (VMS) providers proposal.
eligible to bid on this opportunity?
50. Are the current suppliers meeting the SLA’s 50. The SLAs contained in Appendix B vary
contained in Appendix B? If not, please share which significantly from current SLAs. Therefore, we have no
metrics have been most challenging to achieve. basis to compare Appendix B metrics to current
51. For the mandatory reporting elements and 51. All current reporting requirements are being met.
timeframes shared in Appendix C, are there specific
items that are not being met by the current providers? If
yes, please provide any detail available regarding the
challenges in meeting these items.
52. Is there any other specific motivation for the State 52. The current contract is ending. The State’s
of WI to evaluate alternate solutions in addition to the objectives and requirements are contained within RFP
Cost analysis the state is performing on each of the job 27981-BE.
descriptions currently utilized by the state?
53. Section 1.2.3 Needs, states “This RFP seeks to 53. The State’s objectives and requirements are
leverage the State’s purchasing volume and streamline contained within RFP 27981-BE
business processes to reduce costs and increase the
overall quality and speed of contingent Contracted
Personnel placements while also improving statewide
reporting and control capabilities.” We have identified
elsewhere in the RFP some of the methods you currently
use to determine quality of the contracted personnel,
but we realize there may be other elements used to
determine quality that has not been shared. Please
share any information available regarding the state’s
current method for measuring overall quality and how it
relates to or is weighted against the other drivers, such
as cost reduction, speed of delivery, visibility and control.
54. How will hiring managers and other state employees 54. Hiring managers and others will interface through
interface with the selected technology? the Internet using web-browsers to get to the
proposed system. The requirement is that Internet
Explorer, Netscape, and Firefox Internet browsers are
the only required software.
55. What type of software is the state using for time- 55. Currently there are three agencies that use the
keeping? Are additional details regarding various agency same time system and it is a “home grown” system
interfacing needs available? developed by the State called PTA WEB. A CSV
template is used for the upload.
56. Would you like the technology solution to 56. The RFP does not contain this requirement.
communicate with a current (company name deleted)
database or application? For example, transferring
information to SAP, PeopleSoft, Quadrem, Baan, etc.
57. What systems do you currently utilize to track 57. Insite by Fieldglass.
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 6
58. How many contractors are recruiting for the state 58. There are currently 59 Contractors. The RFP does
today and how are you looking to change that through not set a specification for the number of Contractors
this RFP? to be used.
59. Please describe your Tiering structure with your 59. The RFP does not specify a “Tiering structure.”
contractors. Please re-ask with a definition of “Tiering structure” in
Q&A Round 2.
60. We have the following questions regarding
document 16050_1 tab Cost Proposal With Job Titles:
60.1 Is it expected that the MSP cost and VMS
60.1 Yes. Please see Mandatory Requirement 4.10.
cost will be combined into the same percentage?
Also please see Section 8.1 General instructions on
Is the State asking the vendor to combine the preparing cost proposals.
technology and program management fee into
60.2 Can we modify the template to provide 60.2 No. Appendix A states “No changes of any kind
more details? (Potential clients often tell us they may be made to this spreadsheet. Any modifications
feel more informed when we break out the VMS will result in disqualification of proposal”.
fee percentage from the MSP fee.)
60.3 You ask for proposed maximum hourly 60.3 The State pays only the Bill Rate to the VMS
rates. Are we to include the MSP and VMS Fees Company. The VMS Company deducts its VMS Fee
in that rate, include only MSP fees, or include no from the Bill Rate paid by the State.
fees? Is the State asking the vendor to combine
the technology and program management fee
into one percentage?
61. Appendix B indicates that the State of Wisconsin 61. We presently lack data to answer these questions.
issued 753 RFSs and selected 687 personnel for those We will attempt to answer these questions in Q&A
services. But it also indicates that in Dec 2010, the State Round 2.
was invoiced for work by 384 contracted personnel. This
would indicate that many of the 753 assignments were
short-term. What is the average assignment duration for
work issued in the VMS? What percentage of the total
assignments were for 6 months or less? What
percentage were 2 weeks or less?
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 7
62.1 Appendix B and RFP Section 4.9 indicate that there 62.1 Currently there are three agencies that use the
are current interfaces built to upload contracted same time system and it is a “home grown” system
personnel timesheets to three State Agencies. What developed by the State called PTA WEB. A CSV
software platform(s) do those agencies’ timesheet template is used for the upload.
systems use and what is the required method of
integration? (e.g., XML feed, CSV template upload)
62.2 What about other agencies not indicated here – 62.2 The remaining agencies use the current VMS
do they use the current VMS tool’s timesheet module as tool’s timesheet module.
the system of record for all contracted personnel time?
63. Appendix B indicates that the State of Wisconsin 63. We don’t currently track engagements by dollar
was billed $39 million under the current contract in threshold.
calendar year 2010. What percentage of that spend was
for assignments with a dollar value under $25,000?
64. Appendix B indicates that 985 unique purchase 64. Please see Q&A Attachment 1 - Spend by Current
orders were issued during calendar year 2010. Will you Supplier and Spend by Job Title for 2010 - March 25,
provide the breakdown of these awards by vendor and 2011 for a breakdown by vendor. Note there are 2
labor category? tabs on this worksheet.
65. RFP Section 4.13 indicates that staff including the 65. The State will not provide space. The VMS
contract manager must be located in the Madison area. Company’s costs must be included in the VMS fee.
Is the intent for the State to provide on-site space for the
VMS staff? Our experience indicates that an on-site
team is helpful to establish a good working relationship
between VMS and client personnel.
66. RFP Section 6.2.7 asks how our system facilitates 66. We don’t currently track length of engagement or
solicitation of contracted personnel for short-term dollar threshold. We will attempt to answer the
projects (less than 12 months) or under $500,000. What question on length of engagement in Q&A Round 2.
percentage of the total awards are for short-term .
assignments. What percentage of the total awards are
for under $500,000?
67. What procurement system(s) does the State of 67. The State of Wisconsin does not have a
Wisconsin use? procurement system.
68. What financial system(s) does the State of 68. WISMART.
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 8
69. Are there existing integration points between the 69. The State of Wisconsin does not request interfaces
VMS software and these systems? with any system other than the PTA Web system for
timesheet uploads using CSV.
70. What is the current % of spend with MBEs? 70. 12.5% of calendar year 2010 went to Wisconsin
71. What percentage of the total spend is for awards 71. 1.8% of calendar year 2010 spend is for awards
directly to the incumbent VMS Provider? directly to the incumbent VMS Provider.
72. What is the current VMS software used by the State 72. The current software tool is Insite by Fieldglass.
of Wisconsin and is there a preference to remain with The RFP is designed to evaluate the functionality of all
this tool? proposed tools. All proposed tools will be evaluated on
an equal basis
73. Will you provide a list of the current vendors under 73. Yes. Please see Q&A Attachment 2 - Current
the VMS? Approved Supplier List - March 25, 2011
RFP 27981-BE Questions and Answers for First Round March 25, 2011 9