“Education is not filling a bucket, Greensboro Elementary
LEARNING AT HOME but lighting a fire.” – William Yeats School
PROVIDE INFORMATION TO FAMILIES
TO HELP STUDENTS AT HOME WITH "School-aged children in both two- PARENT
THEIR HOMEWORK AND RELATED
parent and single-parent families INVOLVEMENT PLAN
are more likely to get mostly A's, to
SCHOOL ACTIVITIES. enjoy school, and to participate in
1) Every grade hosts a special night for their extracurricular activities and are
students and parents. We also host a math
less likely to have ever repeated a
grade and to have ever been
night and MSA night for 2nd through 5th
suspended or expelled if their
grades. We also send monthly newsletters fathers or mothers have high as
home every month with helpful parenting opposed to low levels of
suggestions called “Home Connection.” We involvement in their schools." -
“Fathers' Involvement in Their
also participate in the Family Tree, which TITLE 1 SCHOOL 2010-2011
helps teachers and parents deal with student
Children's Schools”, a 1997 report
from the National Center for
report cards in a positive manner, offering
suggestions and ideas for improvement and
growth. It also provides parents and teachers
with valuable resources.
2) ELL Teachers provide leveled books for
parents to borrow to assist with language
acquisition and learning.
3) PTA hosts a Dr. Seuss Night and Bingo for
Greensboro Elementary School
4) We have a parent resource center available
which provides parenting materials and
support for parents. SCHOOL
625 N. Main Street
Greensboro, MD 21639
Generating Excellent Students.
Phone: (410) 482-6251
Fax: (410) 482-8880
Tel: (410) 482-6251
WORKING WITH THE COMMUNITY
CONTINUING AND IMPROVING UPON SCHOOL TO HOME
COMMUNICATION. WORKING WITH THE COMMUNITY TO STRENGTHEN
SCHOOL PROGRAMS AND STUDENT LEARNING AND
1) Parent – Teacher Conferences occur throughout the year. Our teachers DEVELOPMENT.
plan to meet with every parent or guardian at least once a year to discuss
student’s academic progress. 1) We collaborate with the Caroline County Public Library for Tech
2) Teachers continue an ongoing portfolio of student work to show Talk Nights, which provide homework and educational resources to
students and their families.
TITLE I FAMILIES
progress and/or areas of concern. Your child’s portfolio can be reviewed
with you at conference time.
2) We work with Channel Markers, Mental Health, and the Wellness
3) Our Parent Service Providers (or PSPs) provide valuable resources and Center to help our children and their families with their mental and
support to our families throughout the year. physical health.
4) Teachers can provide packets of materials for parents to use with their 3) We are a Character Counts school that invites members of the
children to help with certain skills, as requested. community to become Character Counts coaches.
GES is a Title 1 school, which benefits from Title 5) Brochures/Fliers are in Spanish, an interpreter is at the school, connect
4) We provide high school and college students an opportunity to
funds. Title 1 Federal Guidelines state: “Schools ed is utilized, as ways to communicate with parents. observe and assist teachers as part of their education program of
receiving Title 1 funds must have a written parent
involvement plan that was developed with input 5) We provide a venue for community activities such as Parks ad
PROVIDING RESOURCES AND SUPPORT TO ALL OUR FAMILIES Recreation camps, basketball, volleyball, Little Miss Greensboro,
from parents.” In this brochure, you will find the TO ENSURE A POSITIVE HOME ENVIRONMENT FOR LEARNING The Clothes Closet, etc.
ideas that were developed by the Parent AND GROWING.
6) We also collaborate with local businesses for participation in the
Involvement Council meetings. Parents are 1) Provide workshop opportunities through Caroline County Department
Halloween parade. Different businesses set up tables for the children.
of Mental Health and other agencies, as appropriate.
invited to attend these meetings to help us decide
2) Host Grade Level Nights, MSA Night, and Math nights to provide 7) Our ELL Parent Service Provider enables our Hispanic families to
how the Title 1 funds are spent. We appreciate the communicate with our school about their child’s education.
opportunities for families to learn and grow together. Parents will learn
support and time these parents gave us to jointly about the state curriculum and new interactive ways to help their children
develop a workable and comprehensive plan. at home. VOLUNTEERING:
3) Provide the Pizza Hutchins reading incentive program once a month. RECRUITING AND ORGANIZING PARENT SUPPORT AND
The Parent Involvement Council has been This program gives pizza coupons to all participants and a special activity ASSISTANCE.
instrumental in developing goals and activities for for all who complete their incentive chart.
1) Our Parent Service Providers (PSPs) are parent liaisons, providing
the Greensboro Elementary Title 1 Parent 4) Provide Title 1 information at Back to School Night. training sessions, recruiting, and teacher coordinating (speaking with
teachers regarding their volunteer needs).
Involvement program. The council invites parents
Decision Making: 2) The PSPs provide an end of the year Breakfast or Luncheon to
show appreciation to our volunteers for their work and efforts.
to join the council as we continue to foster this
INCLUDING PARENTS IN SCHOOL DECISIONS. 3) Our PSPs with parental assistance will help educate school
partnership between school and home. Annual personnel on how to work with parents as equal partners in their
1) All parents will be invited to participate in the Parent Involvement child’s education.
meetings are held to discuss funds, the parent
Council to discuss the Title 1 budget, plan school/parent activities and GREENSBORO ELEMENTARY
resource center, home/school compact, and evaluate the effectiveness of these activities. SCHOOL
625 N. Main Street
parental concerns. 2) Parents will be invited to attend School Improvement Team (SIT) Greensboro, MD 21639
meetings. Phone: (410) 482-6251
Please return the insert of this brochure to your Fax: (410) 482-8880
3) Our school will encourage participation in parent programs by Email:
child’s teacher. All students who return this slip providing children’s activities during meetings (if resources are available).
will receive a free ice cream. 4) All parents will be asked to complete a parent involvement survey and
feedback will be given to parents.
We appreciate the teamwork of our parents,