Setting up a basic site
Do you have a web account in
• Check it:
• If your page has not been created yet,
you will receive an error message
Creating a web account
• Go to Bethelnet, then, from "Quick student
links" go to "My computer account"
• Select "Create my Personal Website"
• Login, scroll down and agree to the policy
• Your web account is created. The web
Finding Dreamweaver4 on
• Go to the START button
• Go to RUN
• Enter the following:
• Click return
• Open the "license" document, highlight
the number, and copy it (control-c)
Making a shortcut to the
• Right-click on the Dreamweaver folder
• Choose "create shortcut"
• Create a shortcut to the folder on your
Setting up Dreamweaver
• Click on the Dreamweaver folder
• Click on the Dreamweaver icon
• Copy the license number in (control-v)
• Click Return
• You are now in business, Dreamweaver
The logic of web site creation
• A website is in fact a folder that sits on a
web server. That folder is your remote
folder; it holds your remote site.
• But before you put something on the
web, you create it and save it on your
own machine, or -in this case- in your
own network folder. That folder is your
local folder, it holds your local site.
Creating your local folder
• Go to your bsp-nas folder (click on the
"my computer" icon, and then on the
• In that folder, create a new folder for
your local site. Name the folder.
• All that you create for your website will
go in there.
Think ahead and organize
• You may want (eventually) to create
more than just material for this course.
• So, open the folder you just created and
create a new folder within it. Name that
folder (for example, name it EdTech)
Creating and saving index
• The main file in each folder should be named
• We will now put a blank index file in both
• Go to Dreamweaver and save the blank page
that opened in your main local site folder.
Name the page "index"
• Then do a "save as" and save that same
blank page in the subfolder you have created
for the course.
Create your site: local info
• Go to Dreamweaver: new site
• Name your site (ex: Emily's site)
• Click on the little folder, browse to find
your main site folder on bsp-nas
• Now, choose Remote Info.
Creating your site: remote info
• In the pull down menu, choose FTP
• In FTP host enter ftp.bethel.edu
• In host directory, enter public_html
• Enter your login and password.
• Click OK
Connecting to the remote site
• Now your site is open (to open your site
after that, click on "open site" in
• To connect your site to the remote site,
click on the "light switch" just to the right
of the pulldown menu. Turn the "light
switch" off when you are not uploading
Working on pages
• In your open site, click on your main
index page to open it up.
• Give your page a title (little window on
• Open page properties under the Modify
menu. Give your page a background