iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad Apps for
The iPhone and iPod Touch are more than just a toy for games, video and music.
It has also become a device for business, learning and information. The range of
applications that are available for these devices is growing each week. We want
to specifically look at applications that have possibilities for the classroom. From
communication to social networking to reference material, Here is a sampling of
the many applications.
Table of Contents
networking ........................................................................................ 10
Apps ............................................................................................................. 15
Apps? .......................................................................................................... 21
Browsers .......................................................................................................................................... 32
Readers .................................................................................................................................. 34
Resources ............................................................................................................................ 36
Utilities and Productivity
Touch Mouse by Logitech turns your iPhone or iPod touch into a wireless trackpad and
keyboard for your computer.
Do you connect your computer to your TV? Touch Mouse is the perfect solution for
when you want to stay in control from the comfort of your couch. Point, click, scroll and
type in any application—on a Mac or a PC.
Touch Mouse works over Wi-Fi, so you can use it anywhere in the house. And to make
typing easier, text is displayed on the screen of your iPhone or iPod touch as you type, so
you can see what you’re doing without having to continually look up and down.
- Multi-touch trackpad with option for two or three buttons
- Two-finger scrolling
- Keyboard with modifier keys
- On-screen text display while typing
- Show or hide the keyboard at any time
- Trackpad and keyboard are available in landscape and portrait modes
To make Touch Mouse work, you will need to download the Touch Mouse Server
software from www.logitech.com/touchmouse and install it on your Mac or PC. This
software enables the Touch Mouse app on your iPhone or iPod touch to find your
computer and communicate with it.
- Mac with OS X 10.5 or higher
- PC with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- Computer and iPhone or iPod touch must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Touch Mouse Server software must be installed and running on the computer you want
Mobile Air Mouse FREE instantly transforms your iPhone or iPod touch into an in air,
wireless remote for your computer! Sit back and use this remote to surf the web, browse
your photo library or control your music player from the comfort of your couch. Mobile
Free Mouse uses the built in accelerometer to translate your hand motions into mouse
movements on your screen. It can also operate as a trackpad remote, allowing you to
control your computer with a single finger. Mobile Free Mouse is an essential part of any
home theater PC and a presenter's best friend. Mobile Free Mouse uses an innovative
application notification system to let the iPhone know what program you are running at
any time and show the appropriate keys for that program. This allows Mobile Free Mouse
to provide a single screen remote for controlling ALL your media and web applications.
Mobile Free Mouse is the only app to feature a full fledged dock, just like you'd find on
your Mac! Mobile Free Mouse supports all the most popular web and media programs for
the Mac and PC. New remote definitions are automatically downloaded daily to your
computer, so you will always have the newest remotes as we create them.
Features (FREE Version):
- Touchpad (full screen vertical and landscape modes)
- Application notifications
- Remote keyboard with function and arrow keys
- Modifier Keys
- On screen typing
- Password protection
- Custom sensitivity settings
- Foreign language keyboards
- Supports Bonjour or static IP
- No screen size limitation. Works with multiple monitors.
- Ability to hide keyboard (shake to hide/show)
- Landscape keyboard (shake in landscape mode to show)
- Scroll pad
- Left and Right mouse buttons
- Multitouch gestures (scroll & right click)
There is also a PRO version which features:
- Tech support & Free updates
- Accelerometer based mouse controller
- Application switcher (works just like the dock in OS X)
- Media Remote (w/vol up/down and eject buttons)
- Web Remote
- Numeric keyboard
- Programmable hotkeys (can be set to run a program or keyboard combination)
- Sleep/Wake your computer
- And much, much more.
- Mac OS X Tiger/Leopard/Snow Leopard (Intel/PPC)
- Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7 (32/64bit)
- WIFI router (works best on a local area network or Ad hoc network)
- Mobile Air Mouse Server Software
WAY more than a "voice recorder"... whether you just want to recall a conversation later,
or are serious about capturing the sounds around you, Griffin iTalk is the app you need
for your iPhone or 2G iPod touch (2G iPod touch requires Apple Stereo Headset or
similar compatible headset).
Your recordings are saved for replay on your iPhone or iPod, and you can use iTalk Sync
(a free download available at http://www.italksync.com/download) to drag-and-drop
them as high-quality AIFF files to your computer over a Wi-Fi connection.
User-centric features include:
- Choose from Good/Better/Best quality levels.
- Pause/resume and append to existing recordings on the fly.
- Append text notes to your recordings for later reference.
- The one-button recording interface is designed for quick, easy operation in the field, and
simple management of your recordings.
iTalk System Requirements:
iPhone, iPhone 3G, or 2nd generation iPod touch (2G iPod Touch requires Apple Stereo
Headset or similar compatible headset)
Wi-Fi connection for transfer of files to computer (iTalk Sync is available for Mac OS
10.4.11+ and Windows XP and Vista)
QuickVoice is the most popular, full-featured iPhone voice recorder available. Record
ideas, voice memos, voice email, dictation, lists, meetings, classes, or entire lectures! For
professional, educational, and personal use WITH MORE THAN 1-MILLION USERS!
Compare These Features!
* One Touch Recording
* One Touch Stop & Save
* Voice Email Up to 5MB
* Records for Seconds or Hours
* Pause Record and Resume
* Adjustable Recording Qualities
* Flip Mode For "Mic on Top" Recording
* Record Timer & Playback Counter
* Double Tap for Quick Playbacks
* Auto File Naming w/Optional Renaming
* Finger Scroll Through Messages
* Pause & Resume Playback
* Drag Slider for Seek/RWND/FFWD
* Audio Level Meter
* Displays File Sizes and Time Stamps
* Plays Thru Earpiece, Speaker, Ear Buds
* Use iPhone's Built-In or Add-On Mics
* Ringtone Recording Feature
* Sync Recordings to Computer
* Great "Visual Voicemail Like" Design
* And Best Feature of All? IT'S FREE!
QuickVoice is ALSO AVAILABLE FOR MAC AND WINDOWS COMPUTERS! And,
our iPhone version syncs its recordings with our computer versions. Visit our website for
more on this.
Create and publish podcasts on your mobile device!
• With Caster Free, you are limited to three minutes
• All other functionality is intact
• The full Caster app allows you to make as big a
podcast as you have room on your device.
• Record chunks of audio at a time or all at once
• Waveform editor
• Clip reordering and deleting
• Cut, Copy, Paste, Ctop, Undo
• Audio Normalization
• Audio Trimming
• All podcast clips are combined into a single file
• Writes podcast in m4a/ALAC format - if ALAC is
unavailable on your device, it writes to a wave.
• Download your completed podcasts via FTP or
publish directly from the palm of your hand!
• Existing podcast RSS files are synced with Caster
• Multi-track recording and editing
• All RSS Fields are editable from your device
• Review previously recorded podcasts
• copy and paste between podcast issues
• Automatically generates a new RSS when publishing
• Upload existing audio clips for use in your podcast
• FTP Server to download your podcast via WIFI
• FTP Client to automatically publish your podcast
• Built in documentation
• Publish via email, and link in twitter and facebook
SimpleMind eXpress is a FREE mind mapping tool that turns your iPhone or iPod touch
into a brainstorming, idea collection and thought structuring device.
o Download Mind Maps - open, view and edit SimpleMind Mind Maps sent to you by
SimpleMind (paid edition) users.
o Easy to use - drag, arrange end edit topics on the MindMap page.
o Apply visual styles - change colors, borders and lines for maximum presentation impact.
o Undo/Redo in the editor - makes editing and experimenting easy.
o Reorganize Mind Map structure - use drag and drop to restructure Mind Maps aided by
o Cut/Copy/Paste - move or duplicate topics between Mind Maps.
o Large Mind Map page support - diagram size is only limited by memory. Scroll, zoom
and rotate page.
o Re-order Mind Maps in the Mind Map list.
o Share Mind Maps as jpeg image via the iPhone Camera Roll.
Write, draw, research, record and share.
Put away the paper - school is easier with Sundry Notes. Learning should be free, and so
is Sundry Notes - now and always.
Thank you everybody for helping us become the #1 most downloaded iPad application!
Sundry Notes is the first social note taking application. Write, draw, record and research
right within the app - and then share your notes with others.
Take notes right within your application, including:
* Write text (and change font color, size, etc.)
* Draw anywhere in your notes
* Search Wikipedia, Google, and Google Books - and grab images from them for your
notes using two fingers
* Import PDFs from the internet
* Import images from your photo library
* Record sound/voice
* Change page background to graph paper, lined paper, legal paper, etc.
The innovative sharing feature in Sundry Notes means:
* You can sync your notes on the Amazon Cloud so that even if you lose your iPad, you
can get your notes back
* You can share your notes using Facebook, Twitter, and Google/Picasa
* You can email your notes as a PDF to yourself or friends
* You can send notes to your computer to be printed
Search Google quickly using your voice and your location.
Google Mobile App includes the following features:
* Search by voice - speak your queries in American, British, Indian or Australian English
accents, also supports Mandarin Chinese and Japanese
* Just talk - simply hold your iPhone to your ear and say your query
* My Location - avoid typing your current location when searching for nearby businesses
(e.g. "pizza" or "starbucks")
* Google Suggest - tap suggested web search queries and local businesses that appear as
* Search history - quickly search again for queries you recently performed
* Contact search - search your phone's contacts.
* Vertical search - search Google Maps, Images, News, and Shopping
Google Mobile App also links to Google's other applications so that you can easily
navigate to them.
Hold the world in the palm of your hand. With Google Earth for iPhone, iPad, and iPod
touch, you can fly to far corners of the planet with just the swipe of a finger. Explore the
same global satellite and aerial imagery available in the desktop version of Google Earth,
including high-resolution imagery for over half of the world's population and a third of
the world's land mass.
With Google Earth, you can:
• Navigate the world with a swipe of your finger
• Swipe with two fingers to adjust your view to see mountainous terrain
• Show the Panoramio layer and browse the millions of geo-located photos from around
• View geo-located Wikipedia articles
• Use the Location feature to fly to your current location
• Search for cities, places, and business around the globe with Google Local Search
Present Anywhere. Make Every Meeting a MightyMeeting.
With MightyMeeting you can manage a private library of presentations directly from
your iPhone or iPod Touch. MightyMeeting supports presentations in Microsoft
PowerPoint or PDF formats.
Presentations can be uploaded online or forwarded to MightyMeeting via email. They are
automatically indexed by a powerful search engine. They can be tagged with keywords
for quick retrieval.
With MightyMeeting you can start or join web meetings directly from your computer,
iPhone, or iPod Touch. Starting a web meeting is as easy as finding the right presentation
and tapping the "Meet Now" button. Meeting invitations can be sent out via email or
SMS. Meeting attendees can follow the presentation in real-time and exchange instant
MightyMeeting design ensures that web meetings can be held over 3G or Wi-Fi wireless
connection. With MightyMeeting you can be on a voice call and in a web meeting
simultaneously. This enables you to make your case and deliver a powerful presentation
anytime and anyplace.
MightyMeeting presentations can be private or public. Private presentations are only
visible to you. They can be sent via email or shared temporarily in online meetings.
Public presentations can be viewed by anyone. They can be posted as blog entries or
shared via Facebook or Twitter.
Communication and Social networking
Nimbuzz is free mobile calls, instant messaging and more with friends on Nimbuzz and
on Skype, Facebook, MSN/Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk,
AIM/ AOL Instant Messenger, MySpace, ICQ, and more!
UNLIMITED PUSH NOTIFICATIONS for Nimbuzz mean you get notified of chats,
calls, voicemails, messages and files, even when the app is closed. 4 hour push
notifications for other networks.
SAVE MONEY on texting (SMS) and photo, music and video sharing (MMS) with
Nimbuzz to Nimbuzz messaging.
FREE CALLS to online friends over 3G and Wi-Fi.
CHEAP INTERNATIONAL CALLS to mobile phones and landlines with NimbuzzOut.
LANDSCAPE MODE chat for fast and easy typing.
LOCATION SHARING with your Nimbuzz friends for easy face to face meet ups.
INVITE YOUR FRIENDS - Nimbuzz is available on over 1000 types of mobile phones
(BlackBerry, Android, Symbian, Java).
Download your PC or MAC client at www.nimbuzz.com
For the latest info go to: http://blog.nimbuzz.com and follow us on
✓ iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad
✓ iPhone O.S 2.0 and higher
✓ 3G, 2.5G, 2G, Wifi, EDGE, GPRS network connections
✓ SIP & VoIP calling – SkypeOut, IPS, Gizmo, Sipgate, sipkom, Skytel Srbija and more
✓ SMS, MMS, voice messaging, video, location sharing via Nimbuzz to Nimbuzz
✓ Push notifications (unlimited)
✓ Landscape-mode chat
✓ Display pictures, avatars, emoticons, personal messaging
✓ Location sharing with Nimbuzz buddies
With Skype on your iPhone or iPod touch you can call and instant message anyone else
on Skype for free. You can also call landlines and mobiles and send SMS anywhere in
the world, at great rates. Skype is free to download and easy to use.
Free Skype-to-Skype calls
Simply sign into Skype on a WiFi connection and call friends and family on Skype,
wherever they are in the world, totally free.
See who’s online and instant message
Check who’s online - then instant message them whenever, and wherever the mood
Calls and SMS phones abroad
Call phones anywhere in the world at great rates, and send low cost SMS (text messages).
Skype website http://www.skype.com/go/iphone
This version works on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPad and iPod touch. Skype
requires software version 3.0 or above.
Calling functionality is available on iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPad and 2nd
generation iPod touch. iPod touch requires a compatible headset with a microphone.
Facebook for iPhone makes it easy to stay connected and share information with friends.
Use your iPhone to start a conversation with Facebook Chat, check your friends' latest
photos and status updates, look up a phone number, or upload your own mobile photos to
Facebook while on the go.
It's easy to manage your WordPress blog from your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch. With
WordPress for iPhone OS, you can moderate comments and create or edit posts and
pages. All you need is a WordPress.com blog or a self-hosted blog running WordPress
2.9.2 or higher.
WordPress for iPhone OS is an Open Source project. You can help contribute to its
development at http://iphone.wordpress.org.
••• Winner of the Apple Design Award for Best Social Networking Application •••
Twitterrific is the award-winning mobile Twitter client that's beautiful to look at, easy to
use and chock full of elegant features. Manage multiple accounts, search Twitter quickly,
filter tweets and much more.
• Manage multiple accounts, searches & trends
• Unified timeline displays replies, direct messages, favorites & more
• Filter timeline for different tweet types instantly
• Easily view conversation threads between users
• Customizable visual themes & layout styles
• Powerful tweet actions such as RT, URL shortening, email, text compression & others
• Wide range of advanced settings
• Much, much more!
TweetDeck is your mobile browser for staying in touch with what’s happening now on
Twitter from your iPhone or iPod Touch. TweetDeck shows you everything you want to
see at once, so you can stay organised and up to date no matter where you are.
Create groups, search Twitter, manage multiple accounts and easily post your tweets or
share photos, link and much more. Plus sync your existing TweetDeck columns between
your desktop and iPhone. Nice and easy.
-Tweet directly from your iPhone or iPod Touch.
-Manage multiple Twitter accounts.
-Stay up to date – view all new tweets in real-time.
-View notifications for new tweets received.
-Use columns to create your personal dashboard.
-Easy set-up – Sync with your existing TweetDeck columns.
-Create Groups to easily follow all your friends.
-Follow topics in real-time with saved searches.
-Reply to tweets and send direct messages.
-Stay up to date with Twitter Trends.
-Easily re-tweet messages.
-Share photos with Twitpic and YFrog.
-Shorten and share links with your favourite URL shortener.
-Follow and un-follow people.
-Shake your iPhone to refresh columns.
-Automatically sync between your desktop and iPhone.
-Manage your favorite tweets.
Free, unlimited messaging - text or app to app - 1 to 1 or in groups, to anyone, on any
phone, anywhere in the world. And it’s the ONLY app with Mobile Social Communities.
Why is textPlus THE BEST app in the WORLD?
- Free and Unlimited texts to your friends on US and Canadian numbers from anywhere
in the world
- Download for iPod touch, iPhone, iPad or Android but text with friends on ANY phone
- Worldwide Free app-to app messaging
- Group text, like a party-line! (with any device!)
- Mobile Social Communities - talk about stuff YOU care about, OR create your own
- Get your Community featured for all to see and join
- Moms, cats and dogs love us!
Was $5.99. NOW FREE on SALE!
Plus it’s the only texting app that gives you a real phone number, even on an iPod touch!
IS IT REALLY FREE?
Yep, send and receive unlimited FREE texts from an iPod touch or iPhone to any US
mobile phone. No yearly fees!
WHAT MAKES TEXTFREE SO SPECIAL?
- Only texting app that gives you a phone number.
- Only texting app where texts DON’T come from a weird number or email address.
- Only texting app that supports ALL US carriers.
- Highest-rated, fastest and most reliable text app.
- Later this summer, you’ll be able to make and receive phone calls with Textfree, too!
- Get notified of texts when you’re not in the app.*
* requires OS 3.0 or higher
Campus Apps and Web Apps
USFmobile offers essential USF information and
services anytime, anywhere on your smart phone or
PDA. It includes up-to-date information on events,
campus locations, class schedules, and transportation
Browse to m.usfca.edu on your mobile device.
Search the entire library catalog by keyword, title,
author, subject, or call number. Find stacks locations
and more. Library hours are also available.
Find out what's going on across campus by browsing
USF's Events Calendar with your mobile device.
Search USF class descriptions and schedules.
Registration availability information is also provided.
Navigate USF's campus via this convenient map. Click on the various buildings for more
Learn about any emergencies on campus. Contact information for USF Public Safety and
medical services are also available.
Find out the location of ITS labs and hours. ITS Service Desk hours and locations are
Find out when the next bus is due to arrive, search the Muni/BART schedule, and much
DukeMobile gives you access to the latest information about Duke University wherever
Use the DukeMobile suite of apps to find contact information for people at Duke, find
your way across campus and keep tabs on sports scores as they are updated.
· Map — Search for Duke buildings by name, pinpoint them on the map and see your
relative location, and zoom or pan across the map using the multi-touch interface
· Directory — Look up Duke faculty, staff and students, store contacts with a few taps,
and use the e-mail or phone capabilities of your device to connect
· Events — Check out listings from Events@Duke and the student calendar, Buzz, and
· Athletics — Pick up Duke sports news, schedules and up-to-the-minute scores
· Courses — Access the current term course schedule — including descriptions, times
and locations — and tap to map the location or contact the professor
· DukeView — Get Duke iTunes U and YouTube content
iStanford is Stanford University in the palm of your hand, on the iPhone or iPod Touch!
* Maps: Search for buildings / places on campus, see bus routes and live locations, use
GPS to find where you are on the 8,180 acre campus
* Directory: Search for students, faculty, and staff in the Stanford directory, tap to call or
email, add them as contacts on your phone
* Courses: Search for classes, find out where and when they're offered, tap to call or
email the professor, enroll during open enrollment, view your courses and grades
* Athletics: Get news, scores, and schedules for every Stanford varsity sport
* Images: Get photo images of Stanford University, send to a friend, save as wallpaper
* Events: Get information about things happening on campus
* Videos: Check out Stanford content on YouTube (UTV)
* News: Extra! Extra! Read all about it! News from a variety of Stanford news sources -
Stanford News, the Daily, Graduate School of Business, Medicine, athletics, and more!
* Stanford on iTunes U: Access thousands of Stanford audio and video recordings-
including courses, faculty lectures and campus performances - in iTunes U
* Library: Search the prodigious content of Stanford libraries in a variety of ways, show
content availability and location, call number, view item in SearchWorks
* Emergency: Call to report emergency or non-emergency, call to obtain information
from the Stanford Emergency Information Hotline
* 5-SURE: Call to get a safe ride home
Reference and Information
Over 900,000 healthcare professionals regularly use Epocrates to make informed medical
decisions and improve patient safety. No other app can match Epocrates’ accuracy,
clinical relevance, and proven commitment to current medical content.
Proprietary content developed by an in-house team of experienced physicians and
pharmacists allows us to provide you with the most reliable drug information.
Only Epocrates gives you FREE access to national and regional healthcare insurance
formularies, including all Medicare Part D formularies.
- Access clinical information on thousands of prescription medicines
- Discover effective treatments among hundreds of OTC drug products
- Find in-depth formulary information
- Identify those “mystery” pills by entering physical characteristics and imprint code
- Check for prescription drug interactions, up to 30 drugs at a time
- Perform dozens of calculations, such as BMI and GFR
- Get the most relevant medical news and information
- Access clinical info, like interactions, on hundreds of alternative medicines
- Tap into evidence-based treatment info for hundreds of diseases and conditions
- Locate specific/empiric treatment guidelines for hundreds of infectious diseases.
- Get help with lab prep, interpretation, and follow-up for hundreds of tests & panels
- Look up succinct definitions for more than 100,000 medical terms
- Reference over 20,000 ICD-9 and CPT(R) codes
Here is a highly useful collection of free medical information and decision support
resources for healthcare professionals, including physicians, nurses, physician assistants,
nurse practitioners, medical students, nursing students, and more.
Compatible with iPad. The latest Skyscape Medical Resources release (1.6.19) now
includes native support for iPad—for better text and graphics. You will receive iPad
specific enhancements automatically, so you can start enjoying the benefits of your free
iPad app today and take advantage of exciting enhancements as they are made available.
Drug information for thousands of brand-name and generic drugs, including over 400
integrated drug dosing calculators.
[Outlines in Clinical Medicine]
Evidence-based clinical information on hundreds of disease and symptom related topics
in outline format.
Medical calculator and decision resource including over 200 interactive tools organized
Current drug information, journal summaries, clinical trial results and other clinically
relevant information released on a continual basis. You will receive information based on
your specialty, whether it is pediatrics, cardiology, infectious disease, etc.
The arXiv, hosted at arXiv.org by the Cornell University Library, stores over a half
million e-prints in Physics, Mathematics, Nonlinear Sciences, Computer Science,
Quantitative Biology, Quantitative Finance, and Statistics.
This arXiv app lets you browse new e-prints by archive and subject category, as well as
search for e-prints by title, author, abstract text, arXiv iD, or all fields. Once you locate
an e-print, you can view its abstract and metadata or scroll through the PDF file. The
arXiv app automatically rotates between portrait and landscape orientation for optimal
PDF viewing. Also, if you tap an author's name in an article screen, the arXiv app will
automatically search for all e-prints by that author.
The Promega App provides lots of great information for life scientists, including quick
access to molecular biology calculators, technical tips, protocols, and multimedia
presentations. The calculators provide a range of functions essential to molecular biology
experiments, including DNA and protein conversions, melting temperature, molarity and
dilution calculations. The Protocols & Applications section of the App covers molecular,
cell biology, DNA and protein analysis procedures, and is divided into chapters covering
a comprehensive range of topics --from basic amplification techniques to real-time PCR,
from simple cell-based assays to complex imaging techniques, and from protein
expression to more involved protein interactions assays. Multimedia elements can also be
easily accessed via a separate menu.
DNA, Protein, Tm, and Dilution Calculators
Illustrations and example data
Extensive background information
Animated movies demonstrating key techniques and cellular
Regular content updates
Links to citations and other useful laboratory tools
What About the Built in Apps?
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books, designed exclusively for iPad.
iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest best-selling books or
your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a
book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark your favorite
• Enjoy a complimentary copy of the beautifully illustrated classic, Winnie-the-Pooh by
A. A. Milne.
• Download many of your favorite books from the included iBookstore.
• Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it part of your
• Reorder your books on your bookshelf or browse them in a list sorted by title, author, or
• Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment.
• Change the font size and pick from five included type faces to make your books more
comfortable to read.
• Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature.
• Quickly find a specific page using the page navigator at the bottom of every page.
• Highlight your favorite passages with the built-in bookmarking feature.
• Add books in the industry-standard ePub electronic book format to iTunes and sync
them to iPad.
• iBooks supports amazing accessibility features in iPad, such as speaking the words on a
• You must own an iPad to use iBooks.
• The iBookstore is only available to customers in the United States.
• An iTunes Store account is required to download from the iBookstore.
• iBooks only supports books published in the ePub electronic book format.
• To add ePub documents from outside the iBookstore to iBooks, they must be DRM-free
and synced to iPad using iTunes 9.1 or later.
Want to access all your Blackboard® courses and interact with other students, wherever
and whenever you choose? All on the exciting new device for learning that is the iPad?
Now there's an app for that.
Built to make the most out of every square inch of your iPad, Blackboard Mobile
Learn™ brings your courses to life in new ways, while making those day-to-day course
activities easier than ever. Post to a discussion board. Check on important class
announcements. Read that new assignment. Check the grade you’ve been wondering
about. Find out what’s new across all the classes you’re taking (or teaching). Go beyond
the course and access important information about the organizations you’re part of right
on your iPad.
You can do it all using your existing Blackboard username and password. Getting started
is easy. Just download the app, enter your school name to verify that your institution has
enabled Blackboard Mobile Learn, type in your credentials and away you go.
The eTextbooks for the iPhone app is a perfect complement to a CourseSmart eTextbook
subscription. Students can benefit from the advantages of mobile learning--leaving their
backpacks and laptops behind.
FEATURES & BENEFITS
* Access your eTextbooks for quick reference
* Add, edit and view your notes as you study
* Find what you need using keyword search
* Review that key chart or illustration before the test
* Get a true digital equivalent of your textbook
* Internet access (Wifi or 3G recommended)
* CourseSmart account
* Subscription to one or more CourseSmart eTextbooks
* iPhone/iPod Touch OS 3.0/iPad
* U.S. & Canada only
Molecules is an application for viewing three-dimensional renderings of molecules and
manipulating them using your fingers. You can rotate the molecules by moving your
finger across the display, zoom in or out by using two-finger pinch gestures, or pan the
molecule by moving two fingers across the screen at once. Double-tapping on the display
lets you switch visualization modes.
New molecules can be downloaded from the RCSB Protein Data Bank
(http://www.rcsb.org/pdb), an international repository of biological molecules and their
3-D structures. Molecules can be downloaded directly to your iPhone or iPod touch and
stored there for later viewing.
Custom molecular structures can also be downloaded to the device from any publicly
available web server. The location of these structures can either be manually specified in
the application or custom URLs can be clicked on within Safari or Mail on the device.
For more details, please visit our website.
Molecules is a BSD-licensed open source project.
Use your touch screen to rotate and zoom around 29 interactive structures. Discover how
each brain region functions, what happens when it is injured, and how it is involved in
mental illness. Each detailed structure comes with information on functions, disorders,
brain damage, case studies, and links to modern research
Created by Vivid Apps and AXS Biomedical Animation Studio for the Dolan DNA
Learning Center (DNALC) at Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL). The 3D brain is
derived from the Genes to Cognition (G2C) Online website funded by the Dana
Foundation and Hewlett Foundation.
Readers, Notes and More
Read books on your iPhone or iPod Touch! Lexcycle Stanza brings the digital book
revolution to your pocket with a reading interface that is unrivaled in its clarity and ease
of use. With millions of downloads around the world, Stanza has become an iPhone
phenomenon, and is featured as one of the top three Apple favorites in their "App Store
Turns 1" celebration.
Purchase popular new books from a selection of over 50,000 contemporary titles
available in various partner stores, or choose from an additional 50,000 free classics and
recent original works available from Project Gutenberg, Feedbooks, and many other
sources. Store and categorize hundreds of books in the organizer, and transfer your own
ePub, eReader, PDF, or Mobipocket books from your computer using Stanza Desktop.
The Kindle app is optimized for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, providing users the
ability to read Kindle books using a beautiful, easy-to-use interface. You can discover
and read over 540,000 books in the Kindle Store, including the latest best sellers and new
releases. You can also read your Kindle books on your Mac, PC, BlackBerry, Kindle, and
Kindle DX. Amazon Whispersync automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks,
notes, and highlights across all of your devices, so you can pick up right where you left
off no matter what device you are reading on.
Shop the Amazon Kindle Store:
• More than 540,000* Kindle books available in the Kindle Store, including 105 of 112
New York Times® Best Sellers
• New York Times® Best Sellers and new releases in the Kindle Store from $9.99, and
tens of thousands of the most popular classics for free, including titles like The
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, and Treasure Island
• Free book samples—read the first chapter for free before you decide to buy
• Amazon.com customer reviews, personalized recommendations, and editorial reviews
Get the best reading experience available on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad:
• Customize background color, font color, and font size to your preference
• Tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages
• Read in portrait or landscape mode, with the ability to lock the screen orientation
• Add bookmarks, notes and highlights. To add notes and highlights, simply tap and hold
on a word
• Amazon’s Whispersync technology automatically syncs your last page read, bookmarks,
notes, and highlights across all of your devices, including Kindle, Kindle DX, iPhone,
iPod touch, iPad, Mac, PC, and BlackBerry. Customers can read some on one device and
pick up right where they left off on another
• Pinch and zoom on images in books
Additional iPad features:
• New beautiful user interface tailored to the size, look, and feel of the iPad
• New Home library view with pinch, zoom and scrolling support
• New page turning animation that replicates the look of turning a page in a book.
Customers who prefer a simpler, unadorned reading experience can use the default
“Basic Reading Mode” option to turn off animation
• Adjustable screen brightness within the app to help reduce eye strain
Books you purchase can also be read on Kindle and Kindle DX, Amazon’s wireless
reading device with free 3G wireless, that downloads books, newspapers, magazines, and
blogs to a crisp, high-resolution electronic-paper display that looks and reads like real
paper, even in bright sunlight.
*If you are a non U.S. customer, book availability may vary.
CloudReaders is a free book/comic viewer, fully optimized for iPad.
It supports PDF, CBZ, ZIP, CBR and RAR format, and faster file transfer over USB
You can switch between western-style (left to right) and eastern-style (right to left) easily.
centering the page, and hiding next/prev pages. It also comes with a bug fix of CBR-
page-ordering bug. with PDF files with large images much better. transferred from your
PC/Mac or downloaded from the Internet.
CloudReaders also comes with a "cloud bookshelf", where you can download public
domain books and comics for free (the number of books is small at this moment, but we
are going to add a lot of books soon).
Those books on "cloud" bookshelf are books prepared by volunteers and supporters,
which include public domain PDF books optimized for iPad screen as well as free or
sample publications provided by authors and publishers.
If you are interested in participating to this "cloud bookshelf" effort, please contact
email@example.com (or just send PDF files).
Evernote turns the iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad into an extension of your brain, helping
you remember anything and everything that happens in your life. From notes to ideas to
snapshots to recordings, put it all into Evernote and watch as it instantly synchronizes
from your iPhone to your Mac or Windows desktop. See why millions of people
worldwide use Evernote:
Key features of Evernote:
● Create text, photo and audio notes
● Auto-synchronize your notes to your Mac, PC, and Web
● Magically makes text within snapshots searchable
● Mark notes as "Favorite" for quick access
● All notes include geo-location information for mapping and search
✶ Premium Feature: File Synchronization - add, sync, access, and share files (PDF, Word,
Excel, PPT, and more) among the different versions of Evernote you use
Here are some ways to use Evernote for your personal and professional life:
● For research and class notes
● To capture blog ideas and design inspiration
● To stay in-sync with your desktop notes, web clips, and files
● To snap photos of whiteboards and wine labels
● As part of your GTD system to help you stay organized
● To record voice memos
Congratulations! You've found the one and only Good Reader app for iPad! If you need
to read huge PDF, or TXT files, you've come to the right place.
Within moments of downloading GoodReader, you'll be transferring files directly from
your computer over a Wi-Fi connection, from the Internet or from email attachments. It
also easily integrates with MobileMe iDisk, Google Docs, Dropbox, box.net, and other
With the PDF Reflow feature, reading your documents is a pleasure because it extracts
pure text from PDF files and automatically wraps words. This amazing feature fits all of
the text to your screen perfectly. That means you never have to scroll left and right to
read the text.
With no bars or buttons blocking the text, you have true full screen reading. The PDF
hyperlink feature allows you to quickly jump back and forth within the document.
Tapping a link will whisk you across a huge PDF book in an instant, and the "Go Back"
button takes you back to the page you came from. If you already know what you're
looking for, the Text Search feature helps you find your way to the exact info you want in
any PDF or TXT file. You can even use the 50x zoom, which gives you a better view,
without distorting the image. That makes it perfect for viewing PDF maps or drawings.
GoodReader supports massive PDF and TXT files, but it can also handle all of the most
popular file types. Have a look for yourself:
• MS Office - .doc, .ppt, .xls and more
• HTML and Safari webarchives
• High resolution images
• It even does audio and video!
Noterize allows you to view and annotate any available PDF or PowerPoint document.
The built-in web browser enables direct importing of files from the web (including
university and corporate sites), while integration with Box.net and Dropbox makes
transferring documents between your computer and iPad as simple as can be. Once your
documents are in Noterize, use the PDF search functionality to quickly find what you are
Annotate your documents in freehand using the pen and highlighter tools, or add typed
text and sticky notes with the text box function. Insert extra pages of blank, lined, or grid
paper wherever necessary if you need more space to take notes. Palm protection (both left
and right-handed) is available.
Start an audio recording at the beginning of a meeting, lecture, or presentation then just
focus on taking notes - Noterize will automatically keep track of what page the audio
should be assigned to. If there is a page you want to come back and revise later, or one
that signals a change in topic, bookmark it for easy access.
WebSnaps allow you to add clippings from the web browser directly into your documents.
This is particularly useful for capturing diagrams from reference sites. Want to duplicate
that page or add it into another document you're working on? Use the clipboard
functionality to copy and paste the page where you want it.
Noterize is a great tool for taking digital notes, but it also excels at sharing those notes
with friends, classmates, and colleagues. The app currently supports distribution via
Facebook, Twitter, Google Docs, Box.net, Dropbox, and email. You can even choose
which specific pages of a document you would like to share, and the order of those pages
in the document. Password protection is available.
VGA Out is supported, allowing you to present your documents (complete with
annotations) via projector or external monitor. This makes it a great tool for using in the
classroom, lecture hall, or boardroom.
Included in your purchase of Noterize is a 15% discount on the Pogo Sketch stylus.
Sketching and Whiteboard
Express yourself with impressive sketches like a pencil on a real paper. See unbelievable
video in which a famous Japanese artist Yoshitoshi ABe sketches with an iPad version
LiveSketch HD: http://bit.ly/livesketch-hd
- Draw faster to make a thin line.
- Draw slower to make a thick line.
- Tap the screen to hide/show toolbar.
- Use eraser to correct possible mistakes.
- To save sketch as PNG (in a better quality) press and keep pressed the HOME button on
your device and then press the upper LOCK button.
Turn your iPad into an intuitive pad for jotting down and organizing multi-paged hand-
written notes VISIBLE ON AN EXTERNAL DISPLAY with JotBook.
NEW: JOTBOOK SUPPORTS EXTERNAL DISPLAY - Awesome.
JotBook Free is the free version of our app "JotBook". Fully functional, but limited to 3
books with 3 pages each.
Imagine plugging your iPad into a projector during a meeting and using it as a digital
whiteboard everyone can see. Then just click the email button to forward copies of the
session out to team members. How cool is that?
JotBook provides a simple-to-use but very functional digital notebook. Sketch your
thoughts out then share via email with one button.
Written for the iPad.... this app takes advantage of the large iPad screen, with plenty of
room to write out your thoughts in portrait or landscape, designed for the way you take
Works great with your Pogo Sketch / Pogo Stylus
Draw with your finger, or pickup a Pogo Sketch or similar stylus and really make taking
notes a snap
Entries are multi-paged and fit nicely on the screen. No need to scroll-around to find your
spot. Just create another page.
We are introducing Jot! at a special low price for a limited time to get feedback as we
continue to improve the app.
Jot! makes quick sketches and diagrams easy. Take notes in meetings and share them via
email or save them as photos. Jot! is all about simplicity so you can get right to sketching
without navigating complex drawing menus. We believe in more communication and less
With Jot! you can:
-Draw with your finger in one of four colors
-Tap two fingers to create a text box and type in text
-Tap and hold on a line or text to move it around
-Delete a line or piece of text
-Undo and redo with a 3 finger swipe or from the toolbar
-Save your jots
-Show or hide the toolbar
-Email a jot
-Export a jot to the built in Photos app
Jot! has the same great drawing functionality as Jot! Free and adds the ability to save,
delete, and duplicate all of your jots.
iDraft win the first place in top free apps on July 6 Truly thanks for loving our app.
Now we decide to prolong the free time until next upgrade. We will try our best to make
iDraft better, waiting for your feedbacks.
iDraft is a simple, easy to use notebook for iPad. You can draw a picture, make a record
for a conference, or just write down what you have in your mind with iDraft.
- Select a cover image from your library to create a new note with an infinite number of
pages. Name, edit or delete for each note
- Preview entire notebook by moving the scroll bar and quickly find the exact page
- Undo and redo on each page, along with a standard eraser tool
- Pick color for line and change line width
- Save single pages as a PNG format to your photo library
- Email single pages or entire notebooks to your colleagues or friends. PDF is supported
for full notebooks
No laptop? No problem! With iDemoWeb you can present your web site or web
application directly from the iPad to a room full of people.
Get iPad Dock Connector to VGA Adapter at the Apple Store. Connect your iPad to a
projector. Launch iDemoWeb. Navigate to your web site. Knock their socks off.
** SALE PRICE $0.99 **
We've added multitouch zoom in this update. Get Expedition now for $0.99 and receive
all future updates for free!!!
Expedition is the first VGA out web browser for the iPad. Expedition uses the VGA out
iPad accessory to display the web content you see in Expedition on the iPad screen to an
external display TV/LCD/projector.
Expedition is great a companion when doing presentations with Keynote on the iPad. If
you ever need to display something from the web when doing a presentation then
Expedition is for you. We've even added a Laser Pointer mode for highlighting pages of
the web page when doing your presentation.
* Also works with component and composite iPod accessories.
* Expedition can also display video that can play within the browser on an external
display. Watch HTML5 video from CBS, YouTube, CNN, and more on your external
display connected by VGA, Composite, or Component out. Uses native QuickTime
player when playing html5 video. When video is played it is shown through the external
display, it does not play on the iPad during that time.
* iPad must be connected to the external device before starting Expedition for external
html5 video function to work.
* VGA out is optimized for 1024x768 resolution
FEATURES FOR NEXT RELEASE:
- Multitouch Zoom
- Up/Down Paging for presenting Keynote, PPTs, PDFs and more.
- Offline pages
- USB file sharing/transfer
- Bookmarklet support
- More tools for presenters
Atomic Web Browser is the most advanced and customizable fullscreen web browser to
date. Experience desktop features including Adblock, Tabs, MultiTouch Gestures, User
Agent Switcher, Passcode Lock, Facebook/Twitter integration, Save Page, and much
A lite version is also available for those who would like to try it first.
RSS News Readers
MobileRSS Lite is a free, ad-supported, feature-rich Google Reader client for your
iPhone and iPod touch. If you have a free Google Reader account, then you can use
MobileRSS. With offline integration, you'll be sure to find MobileRSS a simple and
effective way to track your favorite online content.
•Stay in constant sync with your online Google Reader!
•Search and subscribe to new feeds by keyword
•Manage Folders/Feeds conveniently
•Comprehensive suite of offline capabilities: marking items as read, starred, shared, keep
unread, changing feed's folder, and more!
•Store items list when you're offline, including embedded images
•Share items by Email, Twitter, Facebook, Delicious, •ReadItLater and Instapaper
•Keep items "unread" functionality
•"Show all / new items" functionality
•Save images to your Photo Album.
•Full screen viewing
•Landscape for all view with rotation lock
Feeddler is an ideal Google Reader client that syncs fast and presents RSS stories in a
clean interface. Feeddler is a universal app that supports iPhones and iPod touches too.
* Syncs with Google Reader (Google Reader account is required).
* Supports unread item filtering.
* Supports sorting by newest first, or oldest first.
* Caches up to 100 RSS articles for each feed.
* Able to star/unstar, like/unlike, share/unshare, mark unread any RSS story, even when
offline (will sync when starting app with internet connection).
* Able to mark all items as read for any RSS subscription.
* Able to show only feeds/folders with unread items.
* Supports Facebook sharing.
* Supports in-app e-mail sharing.
* Copy&Paste titles, links, or full articles.
* Uses built-in, full-screen browser for full articles and web pages.
* Able to open full articles in Safari.
* Supports swiping gestures to navigate RSS stories. (iPad only)
One Ten Design’s Pogo Stylus and Pogo Sketch
Build your own stylus
Apple Camera Connection kit
Actually the kit connects more than just cameras:
Apple iPad to VGA video adaptor
Some early reviews on the video adaptor