The Alma Mater Society of Queen’s University
invites applications for the position of Controller for Canada’s
oldest student government. The AMS is a non-profit corporation
consisting of 30 responsibility centres employing over 500
students, with annual financial activity of $16 million. This
unique opportunity requires the applicant to demonstrate self-
direction, sound judgment and tact, adaptability to differing
management styles, enthusiasm, and rapport with students.
The successful candidate, in supporting AMS operations, will:
Over-see, advise & implement all accounting and financial control functions
Support current ongoing and emerging operational requirements
Assist and guide student management on accounting practices and procedures
Prepare and coordinate for external audit
Suitable candidates should have:
4 year BComm or equivalent
CA, CGA, CMA, strongly preferred
A minimum of five years of relevant financial and accounting experience
Proficiency with appropriate accounting, analysis and reporting tools
Excellent interpersonal, communication, and analytical skills
Demonstrable affinity for working collegially with students
Approx. Starting Salary: $60,000 plus generous Interested applicants should
benefit and vacation package – commensurate with submit by mail or email a
education and experience detailed resume, including
For a comprehensive job description and additional references, to:
information, please visit www.myams.org/controller
Morgan Campbell, President &
The closing date for accepting applications: Alma Mater Society
August 26, 2011 John Deutsch University Centre
Interviews to commence the week of Aug. 29. Hiring Queen’s University
process to conclude in September. Kingston, ON K7L 3N6
Phone: (613) 533-3001 | Fax: (613) 533-3002
A.M.S. FULL-TIME STAFF
REV DATE: 13 August 2011
What is the main purpose of your job? (How does it contribute to the organization?)
- The Controller is supervised by and receives general direction from the General Manager.
- To oversee all accounting and financial control functions of the AMS, in a manner consistent with the
principles and policies under which the student government operates and the budgetary requirements
of the period and the year in question.
- To ensure that the President, VP Operations and Board are kept informed and provided with suitable
recommendations on issues related to financial reporting.
-To produce timely and accurate financial statements for individual AMS services and commissions and for
the AMS as a whole.
-To advise and implement appropriate accounting procedures and financial controls to meet the
ongoing/emerging operational requirements of AMS services/commissions, the protection of AMS assets,
compliance with AMS budgetary requirements and external agencies.
-To prepare and co-ordinate and liaise with the external auditors for all aspects of the AMS mid-year
internal and external financial audit, including the preparation of financial reports required for the audit.
-To act an authorized signing officer of the AMS responsible for preparing, signing and submitting all
financial reports to external agencies on behalf on the AMS and through cheque signing ensure proper,
approved, and accurate disbursements of AMS funds.
- Responsible for all aspects of payroll up to and including the issuance of T4's and filing of tax returns to
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
What are your jobs main duties and responsibilities? (In the order of importance, list your jobs five main duties and
- Timely completion of month-end reports and monitoring revenues and expenses and provision of
these reports to the Executive, Directors and Commissioners.
- Review actual operating results on a monthly basis and discuss variances with GM.
- Act as a corporate controller ensuring that internal accounting and auditing structures are reviewed
regularly and are functioning properly with respect to the protection of corporate assets.
- Prepare for the annual audit and liaise regularly with the external auditor to review practices and
- Produce balance sheet reconciliations as required.
- Process payroll and ensure salary payment at appropriate rate
- Enter ADP data and audit cheques and reports.
- Analyze the source and uses of funds to ensure AMS priorities are achieved.
- Monitor, and in conjunction with the GM, adjust cash-flow for the corporation's day to day
- Implement appropriate financial controls for the corporation
- Ensure the accurate and timely payment of GST and Workers' Compensation.
- Reconcile the Queen's financial statement.
- Reconcile the investment broker's account.
- Supervise the Accounting Assistant and the Administrative Assistant (on accounting matters only).
- Communicate and collaborate with GM on all relevant issues.
Planning and Advisory Responsibilities
- To advise the GM and Board on all matters relating to capital asset acquisitions and to assist(where
required) in negotiations.
- To serve on the Audit Committee of the AMS Board of Directors.
- To assist service managers in developing and implementing appropriate financial controls within the
- In conjunction with VP operations, advise Commissioners and Directors on maintaining appropriate
control of expenditures.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with University Officials.
- Ensure that appropriate computer software is utilized to most effectively complete assigned duties
- From time to time, be assigned duties other than those listed above.
- office in J.D.U.C.
- Regular office conditions.
- Peak periods in fall and spring.
- Peak work periods at end of calendar and fiscal year
- Required to work occasional off-hours.
What type of background (formal training and experience) does a person need to perform the duties of your job? How does
one get this background?
- 4 yr BComm or equivalent.
- Several years of relevant financial and accounting experience.
- accounting designation (CA,CGA, or CMA) preferred but not essential.
- Several years of experience in a related field.
Describe any special skills or talents required for your job (such as language, computer, human relations, technical or analytical
- Strong analytical, statistical and accounting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to develop a quick rapport with student leaders and to
communicate effectively and tactfully.
- Ability to be accurate with attention to detail.
while dealing with a heavy workload and fixed deadlines.
- Strong organization skills and ability to prioritize and organize duties.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Proficiency with appropriate computer based, accounting, financial and analysis tools (including
- Ability to work with little direction.
Provide examples of the types of decisions you regularly make on the job (e.g. directing inquiries, determining content of documents,
allocating work and resources).
- Providing financial information and advice for diverse operations in an unbiased and apolitical fashion in
a non- profit environment.
- Providing timely and accurate advice, assistance & guidance and to the Executive, Directors, service
managers and Commissioners on accounting practices & procedures.
- Respond to the many conflicting deadlines while managing the accounting responsibilities on a priority
- Prioritizing so that critical accounting and reporting functions are performed in a timely manner and
deadlines are met.
- Analysis of financial statements to provide input for problem resolution or for procedure/control
- Adapting to the yearly turnover of senior management and adjusting to differing styles of