Evolution of the GPS Receiver
• As technology improves, so does the equipment that is
available. The first hand held GPS receiver was introduced
in 1988. Compared to what we have available today, it was
large (7.5in x 3.5in 2in). The model the military uses today
is approx. this size.
• In contrast, the GPS receivers that are available today
have a greater number of features and are considerably
smaller. Notice how thin this first model is.
• Advances in technology have made it so that many more
features can be offered. The next receiver is in color and
has local road maps as an overlay that can be used to
navigate while driving.
• If extra features do not interest you, small models are
available with strickly the GPS capability and the
associated tools such as waypoints and course tracking.
• Finally, accessories are available that utilize a laptop
computer or a cell phone to pick up the GPS signal. Since
the equipment uses the computer or phone to process the
information, the actual receiver can be quite small.