NSG JOB DESCRIPTION
JOB TITLE: Finance Manager (South incl Wales)
DATE: June 2011
DEPARTMENT: Finance - Liverpool
REPORTS TO: Head of Finance GRADE: Band 3
To provide financial management and support to business areas located in Wales, South of
England, South West and South East, which includes budget setting, reporting monthly
performance, forecasting and financial planning, general financial and business advice and
working as a finance partner.
To take a financial lead role for project finance, financial appraisal of projects and business
development, as directed.
To work closely with Group Management Team (GMT) members and senior finance staff to
take forward financial aspects of strategic developments.
To support the Finance function in co-ordinating and developing systems for budgeting,
planning, forecasting and investment appraisal across NSG.
The post holder will be based in Liverpool and will be required to regularly travel to areas of
financial responsibility for meetings and support to budget holders/regional directors. There
will also be an opportunity to work from home as required.
Financial management \ systems
1. Produce the monthly management accounting pack for areas of responsibility, which will
include; Income & Expenditure Account, incorporating quarterly forecasts, at cost centre
and summary level. Be responsible for the dissemination of this information to ensure
transparency and accountability for financial performance.
2. Accountable to the Head of Finance for the work in areas of strategic planning and
bespoke / ad-hoc project finance, including quarterly forecasting, annual budgeting and 3
to 5 year financial planning for area of responsibility.
3. To be a catalyst for cultural change in relation to financial management across Novas
Scarman Group, improving accountability and transparency for financial resource
utilisation. Provide full budget holder support in monitoring their budgets and effective
4. Work with IT and Head of Finance to ensure that the Financial Management Systems are
fit for purpose, and maintaining the chart of accounts and cost centre hierarchy.
5. To ensure the preparation of timely and accurate quarterly forecasts and analysis with
appropriate action to both „corporate‟ and „directorate‟ users, including NSG Board /
Yusuf Firat / 14 July 2010 V3 Page 1 of 4
6. To develop and manage the reporting of corporate leading financial Key Performance
Indicators (I&E, Cash Flow, Balance Sheet) for monthly/quarterly reports.
7. Work closely with senior finance team to provide a consolidated Income & Expenditure,
Cash Flow and Balance Sheet reporting at monthly and quarterly intervals in relation to
financial performance monitoring of NSG.
8. To develop and maintain systems for budgeting, forecasting and 3/5 year planning.
9. To provide budget holder support in monitoring their budgets and effective financial
Project Finance & Investment Appraisal
10. Work closely with the Head of Finance and Head of Contract Compliance to develop the
financial framework for tendering process and bid support work, including strategic
tendering, income generation and business development.
11. To support and take part in presenting bids and business cases to internal and external
partners, e.g. to potential funding partners, grant making bodies and commissioners.
12. To develop systems for investment appraisal framework, unit costing, benchmarking, bid
pricing and tendering process.
13. Support the Head of Finance to advise and support SMT and GMT on the full range of
strategic issues relating to financial matters that fall within the post‟s remit.
14. To set policy guidance on investment appraisals and process for investments related
decision making. Recommend on parameters for Committee / Board approval of
15. Work closely with SMT / GMT members for ad-hoc projects to ensure best possible
financial outcome for the Group.
16. Produce / present reports both in a written and numerical format for NSG Board / trustee
committees and senior management, ensuring accuracy of data and information
contained in the reports in relation to post‟s remit.
17. To provide accountancy / financial management services in line with good practice, and
ensure that best interests of NSG are paramount.
18. To contribute or manage projects which arise through the departmental or corporate
19. Support organisation-wide finance function such as; statutory / year-end accounting,
policy & procedure development, budget holder support, staff development, etc.
20. Such other duties that may arise occasionally, that fall within the purpose of the post.
This job description outlines the general ways in which it is expected you will meet the
The list of tasks is not an exclusive one and duties may be varied from time to time by
the line manager. This job description is subject to regular review.
Yusuf Firat / 14 July 2010 V3 Page 2 of 4
Job title: Finance Manager
The essential requirements for this post are detailed below and are the minimum necessary
for this position. Please address each of the criteria with the method of assessment marked
as “Application Form” when you complete your form.
Factor Essential Method of
Education/ Fully qualified (CCAB) accountant. Certificates
Experience Management experience in leading on and developing Application
financial strategy gained within a medium to large and diverse Form/Interview
Managing an extensive and varied workload within both pre- Application
determined and unplanned deadlines. Form/Interview
Providing advice and guidance to senior executives etc. on all Application
financial matters, but particularly relating to financial strategy, Form/Interview
planning and investment appraisal.
Experience in use of investment appraisal methods, e.g. NPV, Form/Interview
Payback Period, IRR, etc.
Experience in bid preparation and financial management Application
support provision in tendering, including unit costing, pricing, Form/Interview
budgeting, business plan development.
Reviewing and establishing financial procedures. Form/Interview
Using a modern corporate accounting system and contributing Application
to its development, including complementary or linked Form/Interview
systems for planning and forecasting.
Skills and Very good communication and presentational skills, both Interview
Aptitude internally and externally tested.
Excellence in assessing the robustness of financial numbers, Interview
and interpreting them for wider communication.
High level interpersonal skills in corporate working, particularly
cross-functional / varied disciplines of work.
Ability/ To communicate complex financial matters to non Interview
Knowledge accountants, whilst not losing the key elements of the
To lead on corporate projects and ensure achievement within Application
agreed deadlines and financial parameters. Form/Interview
To develop a customer focused service, whilst ensuring Interview
achievement of corporate objectives.
Yusuf Firat / 14 July 2010 V3 Page 3 of 4
Other Understanding of issues affecting a service charity such as Interview
Manage own workload and priorities with minimal supervision.
Willingness to travel, with occasional overnight stays.
NSG operates within a constantly changing environment, as such work priorities and targets
may change. Therefore, management reserves the right to change or add to the duties and
criteria stated above.
Yusuf Firat / 14 July 2010 V3 Page 4 of 4