OVERVIEW: This activity is used as a group activity. The students work in groups of four to
establish a profitable business that also helps the economy of the community.
PURPOSE: This activity involves students with economic factors at a local level.
ACTIVITIES AND PROCEDURES:
Divide into groups of four. Each group will accomplish the following tasks:
(Each group has a beginning capital of $100,000)
Research: Create a Word document with the findings related to the following questions. Be sure
to use complete sentences and correct spelling and grammar.
1. What does the community need?
2. Decide on one enterprise
3. What will be the effects
4. What permits, etc. will be required
5. Additional capital needed
6. Equipment/inventory costs
7. Specific location – include square footage cost of office space in the area and availability
(will you buy, rent, or build?)
8. Number of employees
9. Future Development Plans
Create a PowerPoint Presentation for your potential investors that presents all of the information
gathered in your research. Be sure to include
1. The name of the company
2. The response to each of the questions above