Organization: The African Capacity Building Foundation
Department: Internal Audit
Duty Station: Harare, Zimbabwe
Position/Title: Internal Auditor
Type of Contract: Fixed term renewable (subject to probationary period of 1 year)
The African Capacity Building Foundation (ACBF) is an autonomous Foundation, sponsored by the
African Development Bank (AfDB), World Bank and the United Nations Development Programme
(UNDP). It enjoys support from a wide range of bilateral donors and African states as full partners to the
development of human and institutional capacities.
This vacancy announcement concerns an Internal Auditor, who will be based at the Foundation’s
Headquarters in Harare, Zimbabwe. Reporting to the Foundation’s Head Internal Audit, your duties and
responsibilities are as follows:
Duties and Responsibilities
· Plan the strategy and determine the procedures, methodologies and scope of the audit for the
departments designated for such review, including a comprehensive risk exposure and risk
· Obtain information directly or indirectly through examination of records (including
computerized records) and by interviewing staff.
· Assess the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls and accounting management
· Review the implementation and performance of financial and management systems in order to
assess reliability in respect of producing accurate accounts and records of transaction.
· Review the administrative actions for compliance with the Foundation's rules and regulations.
· Supports the Head of Internal Audit with the review of working papers.
· Conduct audits applying IIA audit standards. Prepare complete and comprehensive reports on
audit findings. Provide written opinions primarily on the financial and administrative work
performed by the audited work units, adequacy of internal controls, and the results of risk
assessment as well as formulate recommendations on improvements made.
· Perform special audits (e.g. by theme, fraud reviews) and investigations as directed.
· Assess the efficiency and effectiveness of the administrative, procedural, or managerial
dimension of programmes and activities and the attainment of stated objectives; recommend
· Identify opportunities and suggest programmes for improving economy, effectiveness, efficiency
and preventing fraud, abuse, waste and mismanagement.
· Monitor follow up action taken in response to audit findings and recommendations.
B. Desired Qualifications and Experience
· Education: Advanced University degree in Auditing, Accounting, Finance, Business
Administration, or related field with a financial orientation and a recognised professional
certification such as CA, CPA or CIA.
· Experience: A minimum of six years of finance/accounting and administrative experience,
preferably at an international level. Familiarity with specialized audit software and computer
assisted audit tools and techniques an added advantage.
· Language proficiency: Fluency in English and French language skills
C. Personal Traits/Skills/Competency Requirements
· Strong analytical, strategic and creative thinking and problem solving skills; high level of
computer literacy, in particular experience in computerized accounting and auditing systems
and software; ability to focus on the task at hand, drive for results, flexibility, tact, integrity and
· Ability to interact with officials at the highest levels of government, civil society, international
organizations and the private sector.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills, both oral and written, proven ability to clearly
and concisely prepare, present and discuss and findings and recommendations.
· Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively and harmoniously with
colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds; willingness and ability to travel
extensively, also to difficult locations.
How to Apply:
Applications, quoting VA-04/11/IA including curriculum vitae with three (3) referees should be received
at the address below by 14 August 2011. Only candidates meeting the Foundation’s requirements will
The Manager, Human Resources
The African Capacity Building Foundation
P.O. Box 1562
Fax: (263-4) 702 915; 738 520