NGfL Cymru Link Officer Meeting by wulinqing

VIEWS: 5 PAGES: 4

									NGfL Cymru Link Officer Meeting
MINUTES              2/11/10 & 4/11/10                                                           GOGARTH LLANDUDNO & WJEC CARDIFF

                                     NGfL Cymru –Dafydd Watcyn Williams; Ian Morgan (IM); Melanie Blount (MB)
                                     Link Officers – Cardiff: Caryl Williams (CW); Conwy: John Emlyn Jones (JEJ); Cynnal: Haf Jones
ATTENDEES
                                     (HJ), Derek Evans (DE); Denbighshire: Sian Thomas (ST); Flintshire: Keith Williams (KW);
                                     Newport: Steve Singer; Torfaen: James Kent (JK);
                                     Blaenau Gwent: Sonia Mclaughlin; Carmarthenshire: Greg Morgan; ESIS: June Williams; NPT:
APOLOGIES                            Emma Vaughn; Swansea: Steve Jones; Pembrokeshire: Duncan Whitehead; Wrexham: Simon
                                     Billington

Agenda topics
MINUTES FROM PRVIOUS MEETINGS & ACTIONS                                                                                              DWW

DISCUSSION


DWW went through the minutes of the previous meeting and ensured that all recommended actions had been taken.


CONTRACT EXTENSION                                                                                                                      IM

DISCUSSION

         Nothing further to report since last meeting in terms of knowing what is to happen after August 2011.
         IM in two conferences where NGfL was mentioned – one in a speech that was delivered on behalf of Simon Brindle saying that
          there will be an All Wales Learning Platform and another speech delivered on behalf of the Minister that spoke highly of the
          work that NGfL has been doing and the need for this resource creation to continue.
         NGfL Cymru will not now be hosted on the Assembly servers as was reported as a possibility in the last meeting. However,
          DCELLS will be working closely with NGfL to ensure that policy documents are hosted on their site and that resources relating to
          those policies will be hosted by NGfL
         Gareth Pierce, Director of WJEC, is meeting with the Minister soon. We are hoping that after that meeting we will have a clea rer
          picture of what the future may hold.
         IM and DWW are trying to set up a meeting with Simon Brindle to discuss NGfL Cymru and the role we play, not just in creating
          resources but in supporting key educational policy.
         ST added that she is aware that Geraint James is also trying to secure a meeting with Simon Brindle to try and get some
          answers about the future.

STATISTICS                                                                                                                              IM

DISCUSSION

A breakdown was given of the most up to date statistics NGfL Cymru have on resources. site traffic and usage:
        In September we had on average 30,000 visitors per day (an upward trend throughout the month – with 40,000 visitors per
         day by the end of the month)
        Registration is now at 15,000 – with approximately 9,000 teachers from Wales registered (roughly 1 in 3)
        In September NGfL did 30 presentations and spoke to 475 teachers
        Registration figures were shared
        CW asked if it would be possible for us to put something together on the benefits of registration that she could send out to
         schools. IM replied that it would be a good idea if all Los did this
        We have a strong presence on the TES website – we have over 1800 resources on their sharing area and have been a featured
         partner on the front of their resource page
        Pembrokeshire have now included NGfL as a supplier of support in the service they offer to schools
ACTION ITEMS                                                                         PERSON RESPONSIBLE                DEADLINE

Create a flyer on the benefits of registration                                       MB                                Immediately

Send emails to all schools encouraging them to register                              All Link Officers                 Before Christmas


STAFFING                                                                                                                             DWW

DISCUSSION

This year’s staffing structure was discussed
         Alessio Bernardelli – Secondary Science – with us full time – based in Cardiff.
         Carina Hibbert – Secondary Maths – with us Thursday and Friday – based in Cardiff
         Ray Wood – Secondary History – with us Thursday and Friday – based in North West Wales
         Martin Austin – Primary – with us Monday and Tuesday – based in North West Wales
         Steve Partridge – Primary – with us Monday and Tuesday – based in Mid Wales
         Awen Voyle – Primary – with us Wednesday, Thursday and Friday – based in South West Wales
        Sian Lloyd – Primary – with us Thursday and Friday – based in South East Wales
        Matthew Geary – Primary – with us Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday – based in South East Wales

ACTION ITEMS                                                                          PERSON RESPONSIBLE                DEADLINE

All relevant subject advisers to be made aware of the new Field Officers
specialties and their availability to come and discuss the work we will be covering   All Link Officers                 Autumn Term
this year

STRATEGY                                                                                                                     DWW MB IM

DISCUSSION

The resource list from last year’s strategy was shared with the group and hyperlinks added to the document where resources are now live
on the site
Details of all DCELLS projects were given out. – This year’s project will include: A2 Geography
                                                                                      GCSE Design and Technology
                                                                                      GCSE Business Studies
                                                                                      2 more cross phase science units
                                                                                      GCSE Music
                                                                                      Interactive timelines for different periods of history
                                                                                      Translation of a maths problem solving website
                                                                                      Using animations in KS3 English and turning into
                                                                                      Sociology resources
Details of Rhannu website were discussed
Spreadsheet of resources uploaded between May and September shared – there have been 309 units
MB gave an overview of resources that were being developed this year:
History: 4 x units on Enquiry Skills (KS3)
          4 x units on Interpretation skills (KS3)
          3 x Units on Life in the 19 th and 20 th Centuries (KS2/3)
          1 x unit on William Morgan (KS2/3)
          2 x Starter Units (Houses and Homes across the ages & Famous Welsh People across the ages) (KS2)
          4 x Daily Life mysteries covering Celts, Romans, Age of Princes, Stuarts (KS2)
          2 x Protest units (Rebecca Riots and the Flooding of the Valleys) (KS2)
          1 x Romans in Mid Wales unit (KS2)
Maths: 4 x Problem solving units (KS4)
         4 x C1 units (Algebra, Coordinate Geometry, Calculus and Trigonometry) AS and Additional Maths
Design Technology: 2 x FP units (Food and Vehicles)
                       4 x KS2 units (Control, Pneumatics, Burgers, Packaging)
Boys’ Literacy: 4 x units on reading and writing (KS2/3)
Welsh 2 nd language: 4 x Forest Schools units (FP)
                       2 x units following on from ynys Hwyl a Sbri themes approach but this year for yrs 3/4 – Themes will be Age of the
                       Princes and Celts
Esafety: 4 x what would you do? Scenario units (mobile phones, social networking, online gaming, email) KS2/3
           1 x unit – build a social network profile and be scored on safety (KS3)
           1 x unit – Examine pictures to gather information
           KF is working with a college on safety resources for FE
DWW gave an overview of Science resources being developed: Units to cover Physics, Chem and Biology at KS4
                                                                     Literacy in Science KS3
                                                                     Enquiry Skills KS3
FE: Engineering

IM discussed new Good Practice section of the site that’s in development. Search facility will be based on educational strategy rather than
KS or subject.
There will be a mixture of video and written reports
GP will now take precedence over IRF for this year
HWJ mentioned that Cynnal had a number of GP videos on Thinking Skills that they may be willing to share
DE suggested that the GP videos we create could possibly be used by LEAs as part of training courses

CONCLUSIONS

HWJ and ST commented on the number of resources we are uploading on a daily basis and the fact that it was hard to keep abreast of all
the new stuff that was coming online.
MB mentioned that she has set up RSS feeds for primary and secondary in both languages. A number of the LO’s requested these feeds.
IM suggested that it would be good to send them to all LOs
ST asked where Paul Martin’s safety guidance was on the site
DE suggested that we collate all esafety resources and guidance to one area – he also asked whether we would be translating KS2
resources – IM replied that we will be
JEJ mentioned that he had translated a range of YHGfL to Welsh and that it would be good if we could share them via NGfL – With
anyone else. IM stated that he would make contact with the RBC to seek permission to host resources in both languages

ACTION ITEMS                                                                          PERSON RESPONSIBLE                DEADLINE

Send RSS feeds to all LO’s                                                            MB                                Immediately
                                                                                                                      As soon as
Make appropriate advisers aware of new content                                      All Link Officers
                                                                                                                      possible
                                                                                                                      As soon as
Collate all safety resources into one area                                          IM
                                                                                                                      possible
                                                                                                                      As soon as
Contact YHGfL to ask permission to host resources JEJ has translated                IM
                                                                                                                      possible

RESOURCE UPDATE                                                                                                                 DWW MB

DISCUSSION

MB showed a sample of resources that have gone live since May: KS2/3 Financial Education
                                                               KS2 Contrasting Localities
                                                              KS3 Developing Mathematical and Thinking Skills
DWW showed samples of Secondary Work: AS Geography
                                         Welsh 2 nd language Grammar
                                         Welsh 1 st language Grammar
                                         MFL Grammar
                                         Cross Phase Science Resources
                                         Continyou Traditional songs
                                         People’s Collection

CONCLUSIONS

ST commented that it is a shame that there is no ICT strategy in place in Wales that states that teachers must make use of the NGf L
Cymru resources as some of the resources shown were not just a good way to teach a particular topic but the best way to teach .
DE commented that teachers love the echalk resources but that they need to be easier to find. IM said that we would look at pu tting link
direct to echalk from each relevant subject page
ST asked about the future of Pathe – IM replied that it would accessible for the next year but that after that he was unsure what was
going to happen.

ACTION ITEMS                                                                        PERSON RESPONSIBLE                DEADLINE

Put up links of all resources shown on LO area                                      DWW                               Autumn Term


LO UPDATE                                                                                           JEJ; KW; ST; HWJ; DE; CW; SS;JK

DISCUSSION

JEJ: NGfL have had a slot on all courses. Proofreading the final unit for Oes Tywysogion then will send on to DWW for upload. Martin
Austin to convert Smart Notebook files to Activ Studio. Will need to contact JEJ for soundfiles.
KW: Asked whether anyone could recommend any good resources to use with voting systems: DE suggested looking on Promethean
Planet. SRF still important in Flintshire – 3 secondary schools have the ICT mark. Looking at how to integrate NGfL Cymru resources into
their VLE. IM asked about Flints involvement with NDRB – KW replied that every school has a username and password but that they
haven’t really done anything with it yet – he will let us know as they get more involved.
ST: No training room since move to Trem Clwyd in Ruthin – she is still waiting on a decision – but in the meantime she can organise no
training courses. Restructuring Process underway in Denbighshire. Working with MB on the Owls Project at Emmanuel. Asked abou t
Cynllun y Porth resources. Also asked for a list of all resources that have been translated. DWW said that he would sort both out.
DE/HWJ: MB and MA working with Cynnal on Owls Projects. NGfL present at all courses. Would like to do some GP filming of the
outcomes and share with NGfL. HWJ said that they had some fantas tic GP video footage on work on Tryweryn and Entrepreneurship.
Running courses for secondary TAs specifically on using NGfL resources. Have put lots of NGfL resources on the Cynnal Moodle.
Organising a mini BETT in May where they would like NGfL to hold tr aining seminars. DE stated that he thinks NGfL should be more
involved in some aspects of training for teachers.
CW: Meeting with IM next week to discuss how FDOs can support Cardiff schools. SRF still remains a high priority . Working with MG to
look for teachers who can be used for GP case studies.
SS: Producing a toolkit on how to create a collaborative environment when working with partner schools on Comenius projects. Willing to
share with NGfL. Chris Price no longer with advisory team but is managing a ll of the new technology at one of the Plaza Schools. Have
spent time mapping the SRF to the new Inspection framework
JK: Working with 2 ICT advisory teachers, one primary and one secondary (primary teacher has come from one of the Plaza schoo ls. Big
focus on SRF – 90% of schools engaged and working through targets

ACTION ITEMS                                                                        PERSON RESPONSIBLE                DEADLINE

                                                                                                                      As soon as
Put list of all translations on LO area                                             DWW
                                                                                                                      possible
Find out what’s happening with Cynllun y Porth resources                            DWW                               Immediately
                                                                                                                      As soon as
Create Oes Tywysogion resources in Activ Studio                                     MB/MA
                                                                                                                      possible

DISCUSSION ABOUT PLATFORM STRATEGY POSSIBILITIES                                                                                      ALL
DISCUSSION

      Role of quality assured content?
        DE & JEJ agreed that there is a definite need to qa’d content – that this has to be the core of a lesson and that teachers can
        then adapt content to suit their needs and blend with their own resources.
        SS suggested that the way in which NGfL are creating all of their resources as small components that can be disaggregated is
        exactly what is required – as teachers can take the sections they want and repurpose.
        JK claimed that the NGfL Cymru open ended teacher tools would be huge and will encourage teachers to be creative. He also
        claimed that the blend of teacher created content and developed resources on NGfL was a good way forward.
        KW stated that teachers and pupils are now bombarded with non qa’d content on the Internet and they can spend a lot of time
        searching through unsuitable content – there will always be a need for teachers to be able to use reliable content.
        In discussion about VLEs:
       All Los felt that LEAs all over Wales were too far down the road for there to be one learning platform for the whole of Wales –
       but they all felt that collaboration to ensure that there is no duplication of resources was a good idea.
       DE expressed concern that if we go down a solely VLE route then courses for primary will begin to have a structure like the
       Secondary Moodle courses – and he feels that this just wont be user friendly for the Primary setting
        ST said that a course that gave teachers an entire unit of work may not be such a bad idea in .the Primary school as teachers
        cant be experienced in everything – so a good unit of work has the possibility of raising standards
        DWW read a passage from BECTAs recommendations on the effective use of VLEs – ‘Teachers need to ensure that the
        development of materials is more important than the migration of a text book to a digital form.’
        JK said that VLEs are not just about teachers teaching but learners learning – IM replied that even with a VLE teachers still
        need to do front of class teaching.
        SS believed that VLEs shouldn’t even be used in the classroom – they should be using the type of resources NGfL create and
        keeping the VLEs for extended learning.
      Sharing Content
        ST said that the North Wales 14 – 19 network is an excellent example of collaboration – done in a quality assured way.
        DE said that the SEF calls for the need for Learning Communities and VLEs are an excellent way to facilitate this. The model
        They are trailing is working well as everyone involved has wanted to try thi s new way of collaborating.
        DWW discussed NWales model – anything that is developed by the NW 14 – 19 network using public money is shared with the
        rest of Wales via NGfL Cymru.
        DWW asked if there was need for a central hub or whether LEAs/Consotia could talk to each other. The general consensus was
        that they all say NGfL at the centre – 90% of the content everyone needs will come from NGfL – DE stated that he didn’t
        Believe the 14 – 19 network model would have been so successful if they hadn’t had NGf’Ls involvement. Other felt that part of
        NGfLs new role would be to coordinate all of the consortias resource development to ensure that there is no duplication
        Nationally.
        KW said that if NGfL isn’t at the core of a national learning platform strategy then there will be no coordination and nation al
        sharing just wont happen.
        ST said that there were very few primary schools in Denbighshire that had a learning platform and without a significant
        Investment then there is going to be a huge difference in access to resources etc across authorities
        HWJ agreed that the schools it has worked well with in Cynnal are schools that already had good IT standards and funding for
        training will be needed if every school is to be actively involved.

								
To top