How to Deliver a Baby at Home (Emergency
elivering a baby at home, unassisted, can 8. Gently cradle the baby’s head and guide it
cause fear in the most courageous heart, but out of the birth canal with the pushes of the
really, it needn’t. Birth is a very natural pro- mom’s body. It will usually turn to the side
cess and, in most cases, not a medical emergency. as it emerges.
Unplanned homebirth, even unplanned CAR birth, 9. As soon as the baby’s head is out clear
happens all the time with happy results all around. it’s nose and mouth of fluids by stroking
downwards on the nose and mouth gently,
1. Calm yourself. Take deep breaths. You can or using a bulb syringe, gently.
do this!If you are outwardly calm the mom 10. It is not unusual for a cord to be around a
will be, too. Being calm will make her de- baby’s neck. If you can slip a finger between
livery much easier as her muscles will be the cord and the neck try to slip the cord
relaxed and she will be working with her over the baby’s head but if you can’t do it
body rather than against it. just leave it. Do not cut the cord!!
2. Calm the mom. Tell her it will be o.k...it will! 11. The baby’s head will come out then the
During hard labor, especially transition, it is first shoulder, then the second, then the rest
normal for her to feel panicky, anxious, and will slip out quickly.
overwhelmed. In fact seeing these emotions 12. Hold the baby securely with the head at
should alert you that birth is imminent. a 45 degree angle to allow the fluids to drain
3. If you have time get her on a clean surface, from the nose and mouth. The lower part of
clean towels, clean sheets, etc. Being on the body, including the feet should be above
the floor will be better than a bed or softer the head. Do not hold the baby by it’s feet
4. Try to get her up in a squatting position. 13. DO NOT PULL OT CUT THE UMBILICAL
This will shorten the birth canal and gravity CORD!!
will work in her favor. 14. If the cord is long enough have the mom
5. Remind her to breath deeply and push lay with the baby on her chest and cover
when she feels like pushing. She will both with a warm blanket. Keep mom and
make loud noises and groans, maybe even baby warm.
scream. This is more about the work and 15. If the mom is willing to nurse the baby
effort involved than the pain, although it is immediately it is best that she do so. This
painful. will help the body to expel the placenta and
6. When you see the top of the baby’s head, stops bleeding by releasing oxytocin in to
this is called crowning. DO NOT TRAY TO the body.
PULL THE BABY OUT AT ANY TIME. Reas- 16. Allow the placenta to be expelled on it’s
sure the mom that the baby is about to be own. DO not pull it out, to do so could cause
born in the next few pushes. severe, and life threatening, bleeding. Save
7. As the perineum bulges gently support it it, the doctor or midwife will want to exa-
with your hand to minimize tearing. mine it.
How to Deliver a Baby at Home (Emergency Situation)
17. If you are awaiting the arrival of a doctor,
get the mom a drink of orange juice or her-
bal tea and rejoice with her while you wait.
18. If no doctor is able to get there, wait until
the cord stops pulsing completely. There is
no need to hurry. Tie it with clean thread
about 4 inch from the baby, then tie it off
about 4 inches away from the first tie. Cut
between the two threads.
19. Massage the mom’s abdomen every 15
minutes or so, to help the uterus return to
size and bleeding to stop.
20. Good job!