Student Record System and Academic Calendar
Important information for HE students 2010/11

July 2010
Student & Academic Support Service

1. Introduction
During the time you are with us as a student we will collect information at various stages from you and from your course tutors which will be used to
establish and maintain your student record. The record is made up of basic personal data, details of your study programme and your academic
progress. We try to keep the information requirements to a minimum and only to ask for essential data. Student records are held on computer and
are covered by the Data Protection Act. You can ask for a copy of the data we hold at any time.
The following notes tell you briefly about the academic year and about course structures and administrative procedures in relation to the student
record system. It is your responsibility to ensure that you follow these procedures and that the information on your record is accurate and complete.
Failure to maintain your record properly will cause problems later on and could affect decisions taken by your Assessment Board.
Put it this way - if you look after your student record, it will look after you! It will enable both administrative and academic staff to give you
appropriate advice and information at the right time.
2. Credit Accumulation Scheme : MODCATS
The University of Central Lancashire operates a modular credit accumulation scheme called MODCATS. All of our undergraduate and taught
postgraduate programmes are designed using the MODCATS framework and you can find details of this in the extract of the Academic Regulations
issued at enrolment to new students, or by using our website
Credit accumulation schemes work on the basis that your studies are broken down into blocks of learning which carry a credit value. You achieve
your award by collecting credits within a structured framework. Modular schemes simplify this by standardising the size of the blocks of learning
The MODCAT scheme at the University of Central Lancashire has three basic sizes for modules:
Standard module               : 20 credits
Double module                 : 40 credits
Half module                   : 10 credits

Your study programme will be made up of combinations of modules of this type.
The advantage of credit accumulation schemes is that they allow for flexibility in the way study programmes are put together and they allow you to
be actively involved in choosing modules which are relevant to your personal needs. Within all courses you will find elements of choice and
optionality and generally, an opportunity to take some free choice modules (electives). The amount of flexibility varies from course to course but in
all cases it means that you have 'ownership' of your particular study programme. Giving you freedom however does require you to accept
responsibility for ensuring that you are properly registered for each module that you are studying.
Your personal tutor/nominated advisers will give you more detailed information and advice about individual course structures in your course briefing.
If you are unsure about what you have to do, it is essential that you ask for help at this stage or you may miss important deadlines.
3. Induction Week
Induction week is a particularly important time for new students in settling in and finding your way around. It is also a time for your course tutors to
get to know you and assess your needs. This may involve the completion of short assignments or meetings with your nominated personal tutor.
You should take advantage of these opportunities to ensure you are clear about the structure of your course, which modules you will be taking and
what you are expected to achieve. Ask if there is anything you do not understand.
4. Enrolment
There are two ways to enrol, either via an online process available from the University’s website or by the completion of a paper form. Your School
will provide you with details and confirm which option is available to you. Whichever method is offered to you, you must complete the enrolment
process, failure to do so will affect your assessment, loans and any scholarship payments to which you may be entitled. To set up your record
initially we need to get good information from the online enrolment process and particularly from the enrolment documentation itself. Please ensure
you answer all questions and that information we already hold is correct and accurate. Once you have completed the enrolment process you will be
provided with an ‘Acknowledgement of Student Enrolment’ form which you should retain for information.

For 2010/11 the University is offering a range of Bursary and Scholarship schemes as listed below:
• Full-time undergraduate UK/EU students who are due to start in 2010/11
   In 2010/11 first year students will receive a bursary of £500, providing the principal family income earner has a salary of less than £60,000 gross
   per annum, before reverting to an award based on the receipt of a full Student Maintenance Grant in their second and third year of study.
   All such payments will be made at the end of the academic year.
• Full-time undergraduate UK/EU students at Burnley Campus or College, who are due to start in 2010/11
   In 2010/11 first year students at Burnley Campus and Burnley College will receive a bursary of £1,000 in their first year and £500 in subsequent
   years, providing the principal family income earner has a salary of less than £60,000 gross per annum,
   The payment in the first year will be made in three instalments
• Full-time undergraduate UK/EU students who started in 2009/10 and are in receipt of the University Bursary and
• Full-time undergraduate UK/EU students who started in 2008/09 and are in receipt of OTW Scholarship
   Full-time undergraduate students continuing into their second/third year with UCLan will be means tested against information received from the
   Student Loans Company (SLC) to determine their eligibility to receive the University Bursary.
   Payments to these students will only be made to those deemed eligible where their assessed family income is no more than £25,000 (per current
   criteria) and therefore indicating they qualify for a full Student Maintenance Grant from the Government. To ascertain eligibility for a Student
   Maintenance Grant, students should apply to the SLC either online at or via their Local Authorities. Continuing
   2009/10 EU students will no longer qualify for Bursary payments in anything other than their first year of the programme as under current
   Government funding guidelines they do not qualify for a Student Maintenance Grant.
   If eligible, the student will receive one payment of £329 at the end of the academic year.
• Full-time undergraduate UK/EU students at Burnley Campus and Burnley College, who started in 2009/10 and are in receipt of the
  University Bursary
   Full-time undergraduate students at Burnley Campus and Burnley College who are continuing into their second year will receive a bursary of
   £500, providing the principal family income earner has a salary of less than £60,000 gross per annum.
   All such payments will be made at the end of the academic year.
• Full-time undergraduate UK/EU students who started prior to 2008/09
   Qualifying OTW students who commenced prior to 2008/09 will continue to receive the £1,000 annual OTW award, distributed in three
   instalments, until they complete their studies.
• Excellence in Sport Scholarships 2009/10
   The Excellence in Sport Scholarship is awarded to students who are identified during the application process as having achieved, or having the
   potential to achieve excellence in sport. This scholarship awards a total of £4,000; £2,000 in the first academic year, £1000 in year two and
   £1,000 in year three. Students identified via this process are invited to apply.
4.2 Student Maintenance Loans (BACSFirst)
The University of Central Lancashire is one of a number of universities and colleges around the UK that participates in a scheme to pay the first
instalment of student support (maintenance loan) by electronic transfer to your bank account or building society account. When you enrol, the
University will confirm your attendance to the Student Loans Company. To allow the process to work smoothly it is important that you fully complete
the enrolment process and check that your Student Support Number is correctly recorded. The Student Support Number is created by Student
Finance or your Local Authority and begins with four letters, e.g. LANCXXXXXXXX. The Student Loans Company will issue you with a financial
payment schedule letter that contains your Student Support Number and also provides you with details of when the maintenance loan payments will
be made.
4.3 Change of Address/Personal Details
Remember to keep us up-to-date with any changes to your details that are either displayed online to you at enrolment or via a pre-printed enrolment
form, particularly changes of address. Information during and at the end of the year is sometimes mailed out to you and it is important that these
details are correct. We may need to contact you at short notice to inform you of any changes to timetable, examination or scholarship
arrangements, therefore your mobile phone number and up to date term-time address details are essential. Changes can be made online via
myUCLan at or by writing to your School Office.

4.4 Fees
It is extremely important that you are aware of all the sources of financial support that are available to you as a student. You must also understand
your obligation to the University in terms of fee payment. Fees are a substantial element of the University’s income which help us to provide all the
services you need. Non-payment of fees is a serious matter and will lead to the withdrawal of facilities, exclusion from classes or even from the
University itself. You should already have received a copy of the ‘Money Matters’ booklet with your Induction Pack. This provides detailed
information about financial support and fee payment arrangements. If you have not had a copy, this information is available at
If you experience difficulties in meeting fee payments, you must seek advice immediately. A confidential service is provided by Financial Services
and you can get advice here or from the Student’s Union. If you have a query about the fees you have been charged, you should contact the fees
section Student Information Management Services (SIMS) by telephone 01772 892440 or by e-mail
Tuition Fee Payment Details                                                                                                                    2010/11
    Student Category        Full / Part Time              % Payment         Date of payment                      Payment Method

     Under-graduate                  F/T            (1)       100%              Enrolment               Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
      (Home / EU)                                   or
                                                    (2)      33.3%               15.11.10               Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
                                                             33.3%               10.01.11
                                                             33.3%               03.05.11
                                       P/T            (1)      100%           Receipt of invoice             Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
                                                      (2)     6 month           Start 01.12.10                            Direct Debit
                                                              payment           End 01.05.11
                                                                plan              (inclusive)
 International (non-EU)                F/T            (1)      100%             Pre-enrolment                Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
                                        or                       or                    or
                                                                50%               Enrolment                    PLUS an instalment fee of £150
                                                                50%                10.01.11
                                       P/T            (1)      100%             Pre-enrolment                Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
      Post-graduate                    F/T            (1)      100%               Enrolment                  Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
                                                      (2)      33.3%              Enrolment                  Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
                                                               33.3%              10.01.11
                                                               33.3%              03.05.11

                                       P/T            (1)      100%           Receipt of invoice             Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
                                                      (2)     6 month           Start 01.12.10                            Direct Debit
                                                              payment           End 01.05.11
                                                                plan              (inclusive)
                                                                                                     Note: Separate payment arrangements apply for the
                                                                                                      Postgraduate School of Dentistry – please contact
                                                                                                                    the School for details
       e-learning              All students                 100%           Enrolment                        Credit or debit card / Cash / Cheque
Fees can be paid on line by credit or debit card at

Your attention is drawn to the following points:
(i) If you have applied for a loan from the Student Loans Company (SLC), it is not necessary to provide the University with a copy of your loan
    letter as tuition fee information is sent via electronic transfer from the SLC to the University. However, if the details on the letter differ from that
    of your actual enrolment, i.e. change to campus, or change of course details etc, you MUST send a copy of your SLC letter to the Tuition Fee
    Team, Student Information Management Service, or email For further details regarding full-time undergraduate
    support go to
(ii) If your fees are being paid in full or in part by a sponsor or an employer, you must provide us with documentary evidence in the form of a letter
     from your sponsor or employer. If you do not provide evidence or, if your fees are not paid by your sponsor, you will become personally liable
     for full payment of your tuition fees.
(iii) Part-time undergraduate students may be eligible for the HE Grant. Further details can be found in the document “Financial Support
      Arrangements for Part-time Study 2010/11 published by SIMS which can also be accessed via Application packs can be obtained from LAs and the
(iv) The University operates a fee waiver scheme for part-time students in certain circumstances. Ask for further information when you enrol
     especially if you are in receipt of a means tested state benefit. Student Loans are also available to some part-time students. Contact the
     Tuition Fee Team, SIMS, or for further details and discount application forms access:
(v) Fee reductions may be available to those in receipt of a state retirement pension. For further details go to or contact the Tuition Fee Team, SIMS, or email
(vi) Waivers and reductions do not apply to courses where fees are set above the standard rate.
(vii) Bursaries may be available to postgraduate students who have previously studied at the University. Request a discount application form from
      the Tuition Fee Team, SIMS, or email For further details go to
(viii) You may not be allowed to re-enrol at the University for subsequent years of your course if you have not cleared your debts or made
       appropriate arrangements to do so.
(ix) Should you find it necessary to withdraw from the University, you will incur charges that will be applied in accordance with the University’s
     Tuition Fee Policy
5. Qualifications
If your admission was based on the fact that you hold, or were studying for, certain qualifications, you will be required to produce evidence of your
qualifications at enrolment. Original certificates or results notification slips are required. Photocopies are not acceptable. Failure to provide
adequate proof of your entry qualifications may result in the following consequences:
     •    Termination of enrolment
     •    Exclusion from the University and/or Partner Colleges
     •    Exclusion from any entitlement to the Scholarship/Bursary scheme and refund of any monies paid by the University and/or Partner
6. Identification
As part of the enrolment process, all new and direct entry students are required to provide proof of identity. Your birth certificate, driving licence or
passport is the simplest way of confirming this. Failure to provide adequate proof of identity may result in the following consequences:
     •    Termination of enrolment
     •    Exclusion from the University and/or Partner Colleges
     •    Exclusion from any entitlement to the Scholarship/Bursary scheme and refund of any monies paid by the University and/or Partner
7. Corporate Card and UCLan User Accounts
If you are a new student, you should have received an automatic UCLan user account sent to you via email. If you haven’t received this, one can be
obtained when you arrive on-campus or via In order to obtain a University
Corporate Card, you must either upload a photograph via or go to the library to have your photograph taken. You will need
the card to enter the Library, to borrow books and to access other facilities. Please keep your Corporate card safe, you will be charged for a
replacement. You must notify staff on the RPSupport desk, email immediately if you change your address or lose your
card. Alternatively, if you change your address you can update it yourself using the myUCLAN site
8. Module Registration
As a new student you will be given a profile when you enrol showing any core modules you will be studying this year. Most courses however have
some optional modules which must be registered on your computer record. Exceptionally, your Course Leader may undertake this on behalf of
groups of students but generally you are required to submit module registration details yourself using a module registration form available at
enrolment and subsequently from your School Office, as a tear out page in your Student Organiser or from The             . Completed module
registration forms must be submitted as soon as possible to your School/Departmental office by the published deadlines. You can also view your
registration on-line at ‘See Your Data’ (MYUCLAN) – website link Further changes to your study programme after
the deadlines published by your School/Department are not normally permitted and require academic approval. If you are a full time student you are
generally required to register for six standard (or equivalent) modules (120 credits) in the session and you must obtain approval from your course
tutors if you are intending to register for more or less than six modules. (Full-time Masters students usually undertake nine modules in a calendar
year whilst the maximum number of modules which can be undertaken by any part-time student in an academic year is 4.5). Note that if you
undertake a module for which you have not registered, no mark will be entered on your assessment record.
9. Registering for a Free-Choice Elective
The majority of Degree and Diploma students will have to incorporate into their programmes of study an element of free-choice learning described
as an elective. Some courses contain this elective requirement within the programme and are guided; others do not and the choice of elective
element is entirely up to you. The primary purpose of the Free-Choice Elective is to enable students to develop skills such as a language or acquire
knowledge outside their main areas of study, and to provide additional flexibility to students who wish to change their study programme after entry to
the University. You can make your choice from a selection of elective modules that are delivered across many subject areas. Your Course Leader,
Year Tutor, or Personal Tutor will provide you with further advice, or check out the Free-Choice Electives’ website at
Once you have enrolled, you can self-register Free-Choice Electives online which will be confirmed to you at the point of registration. Check out the
UCLan website from the beginning of September for further details or Returning students who have not made their
elective choice at progression may also register online or via the Free-Choice Elective Registration form available at .
New students only: – Friday 17 September 2010*
*To avoid disappointment, It is recommended that you register your choice(s) by the end of induction week, however the online registration system
will be made available for most Free-Choice Elective modules until early October. If you miss the appropriate submission deadline, it may take
much longer for you to find an elective of your choice. After the closing date, Free-Choice Electives should be registered, or removed, in the same
way as any other module, via a completed Module Registration Form which should be authorised by the appropriate module tutor and returned to
your School office. You may view your entire profile (electives, current and any previous modules, grades and recommendations) via myUCLan, from the ‘View Course Information’ link under the ‘Student Services’ menu.
Choosing your elective is an important activity and you are reminded that elective modules count towards your final award in the same way as other
modules. If, for any reason, you have failed to register an elective by the published deadline, you should seek academic advice immediately from
your Course Leader or Personal Tutor.
10. Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
If you have undertaken previous certificated learning at higher education level you may be able to claim credit towards part of your course. This
applies particularly to mature students on part time routes but can occasionally be claimed by full time students. It is also possible to claim credit if
you can demonstrate higher level learning from work or personal experience.
In many cases, your previous learning will have been taken into account as part of the application process but you can also make a claim following
enrolment.In each academic year of your course, if you consider that you have relevant prior learning and you intend to make a claim for part of your
course to be accredited rather than studied, you should indicate this on the Module Registration Form. You should at the same time make a formal
application for the accreditation to be considered by completing the relevant APL application form and submitting it to the APL Unit. You should aim
to complete the APL application process as soon as possible after enrolment. For applications based on certificated learning, the supporting
documentary evidence should be submitted within 6 weeks of the start of your course. For claims based on learning from experience, the
submission of the portfolio of evidence should be completed by the published deadlines for Accreditation of Prior Experiential Learning (APEL).If you
are a full time student, this will be the last working day in November. If you are a part time student, this will be one of the following: last working day
in November, March or July.
Full time students should continue with a full registration of modules, normally 6, until the outcome of your APL application is known. Full time
students may not fall below 5 modules registered to study without it affecting your full time status for fees/loans purposes.
Part time students may register for a maximum of 4.5 modules in any one academic year.
Further information can be obtained from your course tutors or the Accreditation of Prior Learning Co-ordinator in the Admissions Office (tel: 01772
895008, fax: 01772 894954, or e-mail: or by visiting the website
11. Withdrawal from modules
Once you have registered on a module this forms part of your student record from which your assessment record is derived. Failure to notify
withdrawals will mean you will be allocated a fail mark for this module and this will affect your overall assessment. Normally withdrawal of a module
registration is not permitted after the module has been running for 6 weeks.
Please note that withdrawal from modules could affect your position in a number of ways particularly if you are a full time student. Always seek
advice from your Course Leader/Personal Tutor.
12. Progression
Modular courses usually contain significant elements of choice so we may ask you to identify in advance the modules you wish to study next year.
This will help us to plan our module provision more effectively. This exercise is generally termed the 'Progression' exercise and traditionally takes
place in February/March. Information about the availability of modules and their content is produced locally except for Combined Honours students
where a catalogue is available to view on the University website.
For those students following Combined Honours programmes, Progression is particularly important and must be completed in March. For other
courses the completion date may vary and you will be informed of the arrangements by your Course Leader. It is essential that you comply with the
arrangements for your course. Failure to submit your progression choices within published deadlines may mean you cannot undertake the modules
of your choice.
13. Student Profile
Over the year you will be issued with a copy of your profile from the Student Record System. Your profile is a complete record of any modules you
are undertaking during the year and any Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) as shown on the central computer. Issuing profiles is a means for us
to tell you what information is being held on the system and for you to check that we have captured this correctly. It is up to you to let us know if
there are errors. You can also check your module registrations on-line via myUCLAN at
14. Assessment
Each module that you study will be awarded a mark which will generally be a composite mark obtained from a number of different assessments
throughout the module. Information about the number and types of assessment are detailed in module handbooks which will also explain how the
overall module mark is compiled. Details of the marking scheme can be found in the Academic Regulations available from our website
Formal examinations form a part of the assessment process although not all modules have examinations. They are usually held at the end of the
semester and may be in specially arranged venues. You will receive information about any examinations from your course tutors and examination
timetables are available from our website Each School publishes the way in which the University’s marking
principles operate for all modules offered by the School. You must take your Corporate Card with you to each examination as invigilators are
required to check each candidate’s identity.
In order to ensure equity of treatment for students, the University has adopted anonymous marking procedures for examinations. For these
purposes you will need your student registration number which is shown on your Corporate Card or acknowledgement of student enrolment.
If you have to complete assignments for the modules you are studying you will need to fill out a pro-forma for submission and you will be required to
sign that the work is your own. The University operates an electronic plagiarism detection service.
At the end of the year, Assessment Boards meet to determine the individual marks awarded for each module and to determine an overall
recommendation/result for the year. For most Undergraduate courses it is anticipated that results will be published by 10.00am on 25 June 2010.
Note that the University will not give out results over the telephone, you can view your results on-line via myUCLan at website link your results are to be published at any other time you will be notified by your Course Leader.
15. Assessment Transcripts
Transcripts are produced following the meeting of a programme assessment board and sent out to your home address. Usually, you can expect to
receive these within a week from the publication of results. The assessment transcript gives a complete history of the modules you have
undertaken, the marks achieved and any Accreditation of Prior Learning awarded. It will also tell you the overall recommendation of the Assessment
Board with respect to your progression to the next stage of the course or your award if you are a final year student. It is up to you to let your School
know if you think there are errors.
Note: Official transcripts are not provided to students in debt to the University.

16. Extenuating Circumstances
Whilst your tutors will monitor your performance over the year, it is up to you to let them know of any particular difficulties you may have in
completing assignments or attending classes so that appropriate arrangements can be made if necessary/justified. You will be penalised for late
submissions if this is not agreed in advance.
Serious or exceptional circumstances which have affected your performance over an extended period or caused you to miss a timed assessment or
examination, may lead you to submit a case for extenuating circumstances which can be taken into account by your Assessment Board in
determining your end of year result. Detailed notes and procedures for making submissions are set out as an appendix to the Academic
Regulations. It is important that you follow these precisely. You should not submit extenuating circumstances if they have already been taken into
account during the year. Trivial claims will not be entertained.
It is worth remembering that information submitted to Assessment Boards is discussed in confidence and it is to your benefit to provide sufficient
detail for the Board to be able to judge how much your circumstances have affected your performance. You must substantiate what you say and
provide documentary evidence. Information can be found at:

17. Cheating
The University is operating an electronic plagiarism detection service. Your work may therefore be uploaded, stored and cross-referenced against
other material. The software searches the World Wide Web and extensive databases of reference material to identify duplication. If you have any
concerns on the correct way to quote material you should see your module tutor or
18. Reassessment
18.1 Semester 1 reassessment: 3-20 May 2011
If you are required to be reassessed in any Semester 1 modules you will be informed of the details by the Chair of the Module Assessment Board
who will arrange for a Reassessment Notification to be sent to you at your home address. If you need to resit a Semester 1 examination you should
note that these will be held during this period alongside Semester 2 examinations.
18.2 Semester 2 and full year reassessment: 22-26 August 2011
Similarly, if you are required to be reassessed in any Semester 2 or full year modules, you will be informed by the Chair of your Assessment Board.
A Reassessment Notification will be sent to you at your home address during July. The University provides help during this period under the
Summer Support Scheme. Semester 2 and full year module resits will be held during week commencing 22 August. YOU MUST BE AVAILABLE
19. Student Appeals
Appeals against academic judgement, properly exercised, are not allowable but students can appeal against the decisions of Assessment Boards
under certain circumstances. Detailed information about the grounds for appeal and the procedures to be followed are given in the Academic
Regulations which can be accessed from
Note that you have one week from the publication of your results to lodge an appeal. Requests submitted out of time are not usually considered.
You         should         submit         your         appeal         using      the      application        form        available        from
20. Attendance
As a student of the University we expect you to participate fully in course related activities and to attend all your timetabled activities. If you are a
full-time student, any absences must be authorised by your Head of School or Course Leader. We are keen to ensure that you are in the best
position to benefit from your studies and your attendance will be monitored. Some modules have a specific attendance requirement and your mark
will be affected if you do not meet this. If you are experiencing any difficulties with your course, do speak to your personal tutor and ask for help at
the earliest opportunity.
You should note that if you are in receipt of fee support or a Student Loan the University is required to notify your Local Authority of unauthorised
absence or periods of absence through illness in excess of 28 days.
21. Mobile Telephones
Most students carry mobile phones. Please note that these should be switched off during lectures/class activities. You may not take mobile phones
into examinations.
22. Council Tax
The University provides Preston City Council, Burnley Borough Council and South Ribble Borough Council with reports from the student records
system that incorporate details of all full-time students. When Preston Council receive applications for Council Tax exemption the occupants’ names
are cross-checked with this list to establish whether students are enrolled at UCLan. If you live outside Preston or South Ribble areas, you will be
required to provide evidence of your full-time student status by obtaining a council tax exemption certificate. These are available on request from
The        situated in Foster Building (telephone 01772 895000) in Preston. Please assist reception staff to deal with your enquiry quickly by
producing your Corporate Card.
23. Criminal Records Bureau (CRB)
The Criminal Records Bureau was established in April 2002 to provide a national facility for verifying individual criminal records. For certain
professional courses, the University is required to undertake criminal record checks before students can be admitted. For all other students, you
should be aware that criminal record checks may be required for placement, project, research or volunteering work especially if you will be involved
with children or vulnerable adults.
The University is a registered body with the CRB and complies with all requirements in respect of data protection and confidentiality. If you require
further information you can access web-site.
24. Students with Disabilities and/or Learning Difficulties
It is especially important that students disclose information about any disability and/or learning difficulties at the earliest stage so that we can work
together to identify individual adjustments and support which may be needed to ensure you can study effectively. We strongly advise that disclosure
is made during the application process. A further formal opportunity to disclose is provided at enrolment. If you have a disability and/or learning
difficulty which impacts on your study but you have not yet disclosed this, you can make immediate contact with the Disability Advisory Service in the
Advisory and Counselling Centre, Foster Building.
Whilst we aim to provide a high quality service for disabled students and are committed to making all reasonable adjustments possible to prevent
disabled students being placed at a substantial disadvantage, the University may not always be able to meet every individual’s needs in every case.
25. Withdrawal
We hope that, having embarked on a programme of study with us, you will find this a stimulating and rewarding experience and that you will
complete your award successfully. Most students do! There are however a number of circumstances, often personal, that can lead to students
withdrawing from courses. Always discuss the position with your tutors or a counsellor first as there may be other options available. If withdrawal
should become necessary however you must inform your course tutor at the earliest possible time. Delay in notification could affect your eligibility to
financial support should you return to study at a later date.              Check the University’s Tuition Fee Policy document or visit: for further advice regarding the withdrawal charges.
If you need to transfer your course you should do so at the earliest stage and certainly by the end of the first semester. Course transfers can also
affect your eligibility for financial support. Always check your position first.
26. Contacts for academic advice and your student record
You will be allocated a personal tutor when you start your course. He/she will be able to give you support and advice in relation to your studies
throughout the year. Usually staff publish the times they are available on their office doors.
27. Complaints
The University constantly strives to improve its services and to ensure that the student experience is a positive one. Feedback from students is
always welcome and you are encouraged to make use of the many local routes that are available for you to air your views. There may be times
however when you have cause for complaint about a service you have received and, when this happens, the University aims to make the
procedure as straightforward as possible. If you are dissatisfied with any service and you are unable to resolve the matter by contacting your tutor
or other member of staff, the Complaints Procedure is available from School Offices, The                                    and on our website
                                           STANDARD ACADEMIC CALENDAR 2010/11
Term and Semester Dates                                                            Public Holidays
Monday    13 September        Semester 1 begins               Term 1 begins        Christmas Day                    Saturday 25 December
Friday    17 December                                         Term 1 ends          Boxing Day                       Sunday 26 December
Monday    20 December         Semester break begins                                Bank Holiday (New Year)          Monday 3rd January
Friday    7 January           Semester break ends
Monday    10 January                                          Term 2 begins        Good Friday                      Friday 22 April
Friday    7 January           Semester 1 ends                                      Easter Monday                    Monday 25 April
Monday    10 January          Semester 2 begins
Friday    15 April                                            Term 2 ends          Early May Bank Holiday           Monday 2 May
Monday    18 April            Semester break begins
Friday    29 April            Semester break ends                                  Spring Bank Holiday              Monday 30 May
Tuesday   3 May                                               Term 3 begins
Friday    20 May              Semester 2 ends                 Term 3 ends          Summer Bank Holiday              Monday 29 August

Key Dates
19 August 10                 ‘A’ level results published
July - September             Flying Start Summer School for new first year undergraduate students
6 - 10 September 10          Orientation for International students
13 September 10              Start of Semester 1: Induction week New & Direct Entry Students only
15 September 10              Start of Induction for returning students
20 September 10              Start of teaching all years
11 November 10               Student Union AGM at 3pm – full time classes cancelled from 2.45 – 5.00
29 Nov - 1 Dec 10            Graduation Ceremonies
                             Central Exams week for Combined Honours and centrally co-ordinated (add footnote – see below)
13 - 17 December 10
                             Semester 1 examined modules 5, 8/Teaching continues for full year modules
20 Dec -7 Jan 10/11          Student Vacation
10 January 11                Start of Semester 2
4 February 11                Publication of Semester 1 results
21 February - 11 March 11    Progression
11 - 15 April 11             Revision
18 - 29 April 11             Student Vacation (NB: Monday 2nd May is Bank Holiday)
3 - 20 May 11                Central exams weeks for Semester 2 and full year examined modules (inc. Semester 1 reassessment) 5, 7
23 May - 24 June 11          Assessment Boards and preparation
24 June 11                   All assessment results posted by 10am at latest 4,6 (Finalist results are posted earlier, as soon as available)
27 June - 1 July 11          Academic Guidance/Appeals/Guided Revision for Reassessment
11 - 15 July 11              Graduation Ceremonies
22 - 26 August 11            Central Reassessment exams week (Semester 2 and full year modules) 5,7
30 August - 7 Sept 11        Assessment Boards 6 and preparation
9 September 11               All assessment results posted by 10am 4,6
5 – 9 September 2011         Orientation week for international students 2010/11
12 September 11              Start of Session 2010/11 for 1st year students only - provisional
14 September 11              Start of Session 2010/11 for returners – provisional
19 September 11              Start of teaching all years - provisional

Sun 26 September 2010        Free-Choice Elective on-line registration 9
8 October 2010               Deadline for module registration
Friday 1 April 2011          Last date for submission of Progression pro-formas
Friday 1 July 2011           Last date for submission of Appeals following results publication on June 2,7,8
Friday 16 September 2011     Last date for submission of Appeals following results publication on September 1,2,8
                             Results and re-submissions

1. The calendar applies to standard undergraduate courses. Some courses run outside these dates and Schools are responsible for
    publishing non-standard dates to students where these have been agreed with the Director of Student & Academic Student Support
    Service. Different dates apply for Nursing students and for those undertaking Masters degrees and these will be notified by your School.
2. Full-time undergraduate classes are not scheduled from 1.00pm on Wednesday afternoons which have been set aside for student sporting
3. Projects/Dissertations: The University does not operate a single submission date for final year students. Schools are responsible for
    publishing submission dates to students.
4. Variance to Semester One examination dates may be possible. Schools are responsible for agreeing any proposed variance for locally co-
    ordinated examinations with the Director of Student and Academic Support Service.
5. If non-standard results publication dates apply, Schools are responsible for publishing the date to students
6. Students may be required to attend for Viva.
7. It is a student responsibility to make arrangements to view published results. The University does not divulge results by telephone.
    Transcripts are posted to student home addresses as noted on the Student Record System within 10 days of standard results publication
8. It is a student responsibility to present for exam at the required place and time. Holiday commitments should not be made over exam
9. For results published at other times, Appeals must be lodged within 7 days of the publication of results.
10. Some Free-Choice Electives, including Language Electives, may be available to register for online until Sunday 3rd October 2010.

To top