Elevate the Expectation
October 2010 Update
Thank You for the last 5 years
• Governance Changes
• Move from Regions to Districts
• New Executive Director
• Move from Washington DC to Chicago
• 2 Conference venue changes
• New Orleans to Kansas City
• Nashville to Las Vegas
APICS builds and validates knowledge in supply chain
and operations management.
We enable our community of members, affiliates and
customers to lead in the global marketplace.
October Board Meeting Summary
• Reviewed current financial reports and proposed 2011-2013
• Received Nominating Committee recommendations and accepted
the 2011 slate of Officers and Functional Committee Chair.
• Approved directing 2011 Governance Committee to review Board
member and officer qualifications and job descriptions.
• Received Certification Committee, Body of Knowledge Committee
and Professional Development/Industry Content Division Update
• Received Future Leaders summary report and APICS CPIM
• Reviewed Channel Partner Agreements Taskforce update report.
Approved extending deadline for providing draft agreements to
Balance Sheet Highlights
($000 Omitted) August August Increase Variance
2010 2009 (Decrease) %
Current Assets 2,334 2,240 94 4.2
Total Assets 7,922 10,457 (2,535) (24.2)
Current Liabilities 6,212 8,629 (2,417) (28.0)
Total Liabilities 6,504 9,078 (2,574) (28.4)
Net Assets 1,418 1,379 39 2.8
Total Liabilities & 7,922 10,457 (2,535) (24.2)
8/31/10 Income Statement Highlights
($000 Omitted) August 2010 August 2010 Variance
YTD Actual YTD Budget Positive/(Negative)
Revenue 10,854 10,554 300
Operating 11,139 11,263 124
Net Income from (285) (709) 424
Unrealized 11 - 11
Change in Net (274) (709) 435
• The 2011-2013 Budget was not approved by the Board.
• Finance Committee and Staff are working on an alternative
budget plan to present to the Board before December 31,
• Finance Committee will review risk/return for the APICS
• The Strategic Direction Committee will review product
performance against strategic directions annually.
• District Manager Committee will develop outcomes that align
with strategic objectives and the budget.
2011 Officers and 2011-2012 Functional
Committee Chair Accepted by the Board
Marc Harris, CPIM, CSCP
Ann Gatewood, CFPIM, CIRM, CSCP
Certification Committee Chair
2011 Governance Committee to Review
• Board member and officer qualifications and job
• Geographic boundaries
• Term limits for Certification Committee members
• Composition of Board
• Officer nomination process
2010 APICS International Conference & Expo
October 18-20, 2010, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
APICS 2010 Attendance
• 2,005 total
• 1,465 paid, goal exceeded
• 41 exhibiting companies
• 57 booth spaces sold
• 5 sponsors
• 2011 - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
• 2012 - Denver, Colorado
• 2013 - Orlando, Florida 13
CPIM Competency Guide
• Measures the gap between APICS
curriculum and actual practices.
• Future Leaders developed this tool
to measure gaps continuously.
• Geared for use by individuals in
Talent Management - Managers,
HR, & Training.
Material Managers Competency Model
• With the incredible success of the
Supply Chain Competency Model
decided to keep the ball rolling.
• Re-convened the 2010 Future
Leaders to work with the Research
staff to produce the next competency
• Model based on career research
performed in 2010.
• More to come!
Body of Knowledge Committee &
BSCM CSCP Exam
Certification Committee Objectives
The Certification Committee is responsible for:
• Developing professional examination program content
• Maintaining the examination criteria by incorporating
proven new developments in the field.
• With assistance from the appropriate resource (APICS
staff and/or other professionals), assessing how APICS
certifications are performing in the marketplace based on
sales trends, customer feedback, etc.
• Ensuring that the certification examinations align with and
support APICS Strategic Priorities.
2010 Certification Committee Highlights
• Item Writing Workshop: live and virtual
• National Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI)
organization - College credit for APICS exams
• Fellow Accreditation survey
• Recertification exam passing cut score study / launch
• ECO rewrite and reprints
• 10 year CPIM exam window
• CFPIM and Certification Maintenance points
• CSCP Job Task Analysis (JTA) survey completed in August
Body of Knowledge (BOK)
BOK Committee 2010 Direction
• Everything that falls under the BOK Committee aligns
with the 2010 Products and Services Goal and the Body
of Knowledge Goal.
• Lifecycle Analysis was performed in 2009 and will be
reviewed on October 21 by the Committee for alignment
with the 2011 – 2013 Strategic Priorities.
• A work plan for the year was established based on these
2010 BOK Committee Updates
• Completed the major CPIM update: BSCM released 2008, DSP and
SMR released 2009, ECO and MPR to be released Dec 2010.
• Supported the board taskforce and implemented recommendations
for new Conference Content Subcommittee.
• Redesign and repackage Fundamentals (known as Principles in
Operations Management) as Principles of Inventory Management.
• Instructor Development Program - Very successful since launch in
2009. 263 instructors are currently participating.
• OMBOK Framework – will add material on health care, sustainability,
risk management, and retail.